Andromeda - The Immunity Zone 2008 (new album)

I enjoyed all their previous albums. At first this one didnt really grab me but after a few more listens its really starting to grow on me a bit.. but ive still only listened to it a handfull of times. Veil of Illumination is amazing though

Yeah whatever... any band that you think is on "a curve moving forward"...has cloned, copied, or has been "heavily influenced" by somebody that's already been there.

this is true and can be said of any type of music anywhere in history. what is ridiculous is to extend that and say that because it is related to previous influences it's nothing new. symphony x is probably incredibly vaguely linked to indo-european folk music from 3,000 B.C. somehow. that doesn't mean music hasn't moved on and made something new since then.

All music could be traced back to something 5000 years or more...that's a useless argument...we're not discussing music history. But when discussing the qualities of current music, bands, etc., it boils down to the fact that it's just alot of derivation. And l'm talking current bands that are derivative of current bands. Most out there scream..."copies" & "generic". Actually...there is very little out there that can be deemed original or distinctive. So when the term "generic" is used...well hell that can pretty much be tagged on it all. To use it is pointless.

It's just a matter of what you like to listen to. I like Yngwie Malmsteen & I like Dream Theater...so I like Symphony X.

All music could be traced back to something 5000 years or more...that's a useless argument...we're not discussing music history. But when discussing the qualities of current music, bands, etc., it boils down to the fact that it's just alot of derivation. And l'm talking current bands that are derivative of current bands. Most out there scream..."copies" & "generic". Actually...there is very little out there that can be deemed original or distinctive. So when the term "generic" is used...well hell that can pretty much be tagged on it all. To use it is pointless.

It's just a matter of what you like to listen to. I like Yngwie Malmsteen & I like Dream Theater...so I like Symphony X.

at this point i don't even get what you're trying to say. that in a certain time period there are musical trends? oh well, that's life - of course bands will sound similar to each other when they have similar influences. music now is branching off and changing more quickly than it ever has before, and imo there is more originality than ever. you can find a lot these days.

so i think it is perfectly reasonable to be mad that something is generic, because it doesn't have to be.

at this point i don't even get what you're trying to say. that in a certain time period there are musical trends? oh well, that's life - of course bands will sound similar to each other when they have similar influences. music now is branching off and changing more quickly than it ever has before, and imo there is more originality than ever. you can find a lot these days.

You lost me with the 3000 BC thing...looks like we're even. l guess it's just a matter of you being easier to impress than myself.

it boils down to the fact that it's just alot of derivation. And l'm talking current bands that are derivative of current bands. Most out there scream..."copies" & "generic". Actually...there is very little out there that can be deemed original or distinctive.

Yeah whatever... any band that you think is on "a curve moving forward"...has cloned, copied, or has been "heavily influenced" by somebody that's already been there.

This train of thought seems broken to me. :lol:

The Veil of Illumination is god-like. It's might be the best progressive metal song I've ever heard. :worship:

AlthoughI don't see it as a masterpiece, 'The Veil of Illumination' somewhat saved the album for me. The synth/guitars melodies are pretty video game'ish (I mean that in a good way, I like game music) and fun to listen to.
The disc is still meh imo; and although I have nothing technical against them, the vocals keep boring me.

Coming up with something musically interesting and innovative is a common challenge these days, which I hope they will be up to in their next record.

I Keep going back and listening to there first few cd's , and wonder why i don't listen to them more often I really like them alot , singers voice the most for some reason i love.
Anyway I really don't find them generic at all I think they totaly have there own sound and the only band i think they vaguley sond like during softer moments are sieges even

They're after Anathema on my playlist so I listen to them quite a bit. Not a big fan of Blink of an Eye (the song at least - think it's an album as well). But the rest is pretty solid. It's like Evergrey but better in every possible way.