Annette of Nightwish walks off stage!

An officer? Do you have to do PT to 'Nemo'? :loco:
:D Nah, "She is my Sin". :lol:

Sorry man, I have to agree with metalsped. You have changed your signature like 10 times in regards to Nightwish/Tarja-solo. And you did it when she announced the US dates as if she hadn't been playing Tuomas' songs for over a year now throughout Europe or South America. :loco:
Actually, I did not mention Tarja at all in my sig until she announced whe was coming here basically to please those at Universal. When I did, I changed it once in 12 hours because the sig was blinding everyone.

Well, I admire them for coming clean on that. The smoke thing really wasn't totally believable. While I feel bad for Anette that she has to deal with that, it really was made clear to her from the beginning that she would be exposed to such things. That was part of the vetting process for the new singer; establishing she had thick enough skin to take it. Anette claimed many times she did. Now show your mettle, girl! And good luck, I surely couldn't handle it, but that's why I'm not a performer. (Along with the lack of talent.)

As for the fans that did it, how low class. If you knew you didn't like the singer, don't go to the show. Seems like they went for the sole purpose of giving Anette shit. How rude.

i didnt jump the gun in the first post even though i honestly assumed this is what it was for, i gave her the benefit of the doubt.

but thats lame i think. much worse things have happened to performers for no good reason, (like above someone mentioned maiden and even tarja), and they stuck through it for the people who were there because they love the music and the band.

if youre replacing a long-time vocalist/frontwoman, in a veteran band, and changing the vocal style, there are going to be hecklers...i dont think that makes it OK to leave mid-set and screw over the people who want to see the show.

i hope this isnt seen taking nightwish too personal as someone said to someone else above, lol.

Well, I admire them for coming clean on that. The smoke thing really wasn't totally believable. While I feel bad for Anette that she has to deal with that, it really was made clear to her from the beginning that she would be exposed to such things. That was part of the vetting process for the new singer; establishing she had thick enough skin to take it. Anette claimed many times she did. Now show your mettle, girl! And good luck, I surely couldn't handle it, but that's why I'm not a performer. (Along with the lack of talent.)

As for the fans that did it, how low class. If you knew you didn't like the singer, don't go to the show. Seems like they went for the sole purpose of giving Anette shit. How rude.

People giving acts shit does happen all the time, but how bad does it have to get before hecklers are removed?

You can have a thick skin; but everyone has limits. It would have been lame
to walk off, get the bouncers to remove the jackasses and then coming back, but it is a lot less lame than walking off completely.

Thanks to blabbermouth:

Speaking to O Povo Online about the incident, Tuomas said, "[Anette] freaked out because she couldn't handle the different mannerisms of the fans here. There were a lot of people screaming the former vocalist's name, making obscene gestures (with the middle finger). Normally she can shake that stuff off, she has good self-esteem, but it's been hard to deal with the fans and the critics. I guess it was a sudden breakdown; she just... lost her mind for a second. It's kind of scary, and we all feel for her and understand what she is going through. We hope she can put her mind at ease and make the rest of the shows. So far it's been fine; she's feeling much better."

I guess that's why they saved South America for last.. :lol:

:cry:...remind me to cry for the rock stars...:lol:

~Brian~

Personally, in my crazy little dreamworld, I wish they would just build songs around Marco. Forget the opera/pop vocals until Tarja comes back (haha .. riighhhht). Because seriously, Marco can carry a show - I found myself watching the "High Hopes" cover more than any song on their DVD. And no, I'm not going to grab Tarot CDs for this - I want to hear full albums with his voice, Tuomas' keys, and Emppu's guitar.

Yes, crazy little dreamworld .. but dammit, it needs to happen :)

Hmm.

Something bugs the shit outta me. Sorry... bugs the S*** outta me.

:D

Edguy got soft. They're no longer a power metal band, they're a german pop rock band now. But when they played here in Detroit and I opened for them, I didn't flip em off and harass them for going soft, I enjoyed the show for what it was worth.

Now mind you, I played the show. I didn't spend my hard-earned money on a ticket to specifically see them.

So.

If you thought Annette was a crap singer, and she ruined Nightwish, and you hated her guts, and you wanted Tarja back,

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU SPEND MONEY ON A TICKET JUST TO GO HARASS HER???

Why would you, as a Nightwish fan, go to a Nightwish show and start bitching and screaming and insulting their singer? What, to convince them to bring back Tarja? To ruin the band or something?

Maybe it's a Brasilian thing. Maybe I don't get it. But if I spent money on an Edguy ticket, I wouldn't go to harass them and hate on them, I'd go BECAUSE I WANTED TO ENJOY THEM.

I just don't get some fans, man.

Humanity is weird.

One question. Was this show in question, a headlining show? Or were they on tour opening for another band? I could maaaaaybe understand if you went to see a headliner and weren't a fan of the opening band. That could at least be understood on some morbid, brain-damaged level.

I mean, even seeing Hammerfall the first time without Patrick Rafling on drums, and the band totally sucking ass and having no power and no energy on stage, I didn't bother to go ballistic insulting them and berating them on stage, I WENT AND GOT A BEER.

You know, I really like Annette. She is genuine. I briefly met Tarja at PP IV but she was behind the signing table so I couldn't talk to her. I support Annette. I mean everyone does have a day where shit piles up. Even though she has a thick skin, I know that every where she goes there are people that HATE her just cos she is not Tarja Turenen. I mean fucking hate her like she did something to that persons lineage or something.

To everyone here comparing it to a "real job." You are right. But imagine if at your desk, your office, or whatever you had people constantly coming into your room to say "Hey faggot, you suck ass and so does your voice." You go do presentations for the company and people shout from the audience "Fuck you, you whore! with a shitty voice!" Day in, day out over and over. I don't know about you but one day I would probably snap too. I think its amazing Annette lasted over a year before something like this. I'm pretty laid back and generally let words roll off me but there are people out there who truly despise Annette and take it to much more than a middle finger or a "you suck."

And I agree with Bryan. People who come to shows to heckle are assholes. I remember in Houston last year when Nightwish played some dude showed up in a jacket with a big ass TARJA patch on it and kept booing, shaking his head, and pointing his thumb down. Did you get in for free? Probably not. So you're just a dumb ass who has more money than sense? Most likely.

You know, I really like Annette. She is genuine. I briefly met Tarja at PP IV but she was behind the signing table so I couldn't talk to her. I support Annette. I mean everyone does have a day where shit piles up. Even though she has a thick skin, I know that every where she goes there are people that HATE her just cos she is not Tarja Turenen. I mean fucking hate her like she did something to that persons lineage or something.

To everyone here comparing it to a "real job." You are right. But imagine if at your desk, your office, or whatever you had people constantly coming into your room to say "Hey faggot, you suck ass and so does your voice." You go do presentations for the company and people shout from the audience "Fuck you, you whore! with a shitty voice!" Day in, day out over and over. I don't know about you but one day I would probably snap too. I think its amazing Annette lasted over a year before something like this. I'm pretty laid back and generally let words roll off me but there are people out there who truly despise Annette and take it to much more than a middle finger or a "you suck."

And I agree with Bryan. People who come to shows to heckle are assholes. I remember in Houston last year when Nightwish played some dude showed up in a jacket with a big ass TARJA patch on it and kept booing, shaking his head, and pointing his thumb down. Did you get in for free? Probably not. So you're just a dumb ass who has more money than sense? Most likely.

Perfectly said Daybreaker.....you've pretty much summed up my thoughts brilliantly. :kickass:

For starters, I agree with you that having people curse and insult you so viciously on the job is brutal, and unfair. But, if we're going to buy in to the job analogy, we gotta look at all the angles. No, no one comes up to me on the job and curses at me at tells me I suck but no one asks for my autograph, gives me presents, wants to have a picture with me or tells me how great I am. I never get to dress up and dance and sing in front of hundreds of (mostly) cheering fans and get paid for it. On the subject of money, my potential earnings will never match those of a star performer.

Now, again, I mostly agree with you that idiots who pay for a concert and just come to heckle are a-holes and it's got to be very hard to deal with that, BUT that is part of the additional "risk" of being a performer and, possibly, becoming a star and making the big bucks. How does the wide receiver feel who drops the pass, is booed by 80 thousand fans and crucified in every sports media program the following day? It ain't easy, no, but that is part of the price of fame.

For starters, I agree with you that having people curse and insult you so viciously on the job is brutal, and unfair. But, if we're going to buy in to the job analogy, we gotta look at all the angles. No, no one comes up to me on the job and curses at me at tells me I suck but no one asks for my autograph, gives me presents, wants to have a picture with me or tells me how great I am. I never get to dress up and dance and sing in front of hundreds of (mostly) cheering fans and get paid for it. On the subject of money, my potential earnings will never match those of a star performer.

Now, again, I mostly agree with you that idiots who pay for a concert and just come to heckle are a-holes and it's got to be very hard to deal with that, BUT that is part of the additional "risk" of being a performer and, possibly, becoming a star and making the big bucks. How does the wide receiver feel who drops the pass, is booed by 80 thousand fans and crucified in every sports media program the following day? It ain't easy, no, but that is part of the price of fame.

AMBR, I couldn't agree with you more. I'd like to make the point too, that she is fronting a METAL band. Metal fans can be pretty brutal at times if we want to be totally honest. (shrugs)

If Annette sticks with the band and they don't leave her hanging out to dry, this will all pass for her. I believe that time will help prove her being worthy of the job.

~Brian~

I agree that performing in a band isn't comparable to a nine to five job. And I agree that some of the folks that go to shows are assholes. However, there's just no excusing her unprofessionalism. Singers get replaced all the time. And it's very typical for the replacement singer to take abuse during their first few tours. I'm sure Dio (replacing Ozzy), Ripper (replacing Halford), Hagar (replacing Roth), Corabi (replacing Vince), Blaze (replacing Dickinson), etc. etc. etc. all had to deal with far worse, as they were replacing singers of far stature greater than that of Tarja Turunen. Yet, I don't recall any of those folks walking off the stage.

Zod

I agree that performing in a band isn't comparable to a nine to five job. And I agree that some of the folks that go to shows are assholes. However, there's just no excusing her unprofessionalism. Singers get replaced all the time. And it's very typical for the replacement singer to take abuse during their first few tours. I'm sure Dio (replacing Ozzy), Ripper (replacing Halford), Hagar (replacing Roth), Corabi (replacing Vince), Blaze (replacing Dickinson), etc. etc. etc. all had to deal with far worse, as they were replacing singers of far stature greater than that of Tarja Turunen. Yet, I don't recall any of those folks walking off the stage.

Zod

QFT

I Love people whining about her "unprofessionalism". She bailed on ONE show....oooooooo! Hell, maybe if she keeps it up, she'll be accepted as a true pro just like Axel Rose, Sebastian Bach, Blackie Lawless and all those other asswipes who hit the stage drunk. You know....professionals. Give her a break folks. It's easy to sit behind a computer and bitch about someone when you haven't walked in their shoes or not know what else might be going on behind the scenes.:mad:

Zod

Was the backhanded complement done on purpose? I would never put Annette in the league of any of those guys.
And maybe that is the key word here: Guys. You named a bunch of male leads who never had to go through what she did. It is one thing to tell Dio he sucks. It is quite another to call a woman a whore.

But there are differences other the sex of the singer.
Dio, Ripper, Hagar, and Blaze all came into bands that played most shows on large stages in front of huge crowds separated by a moat-like gap. A hundred people could scream "you suck" during the middle of a song at a Van Hagar concert, and none of them would be heard. It would be quite different if Sammy had been sitting on the edge of the stage two feet from the fans.

If Nightwish played on a 200 foot stage and never got closer than 10 feet from the audience, it would be a lot harder to hear someone scream "You Suck" in the middle of a song.

Oh, and why do people think that if they pay 15 dollars for a ticket that they have the right to act like assholes? When you go to a show you should govern your behavior so that everyone around you can enjoy the show.

I know all the people in South America do not act that way....it is just sad that some have to act so badly. Apparently nothing happened to the hecklers. If Nightwish is able to book shows in other places than South America and avoid touring there, I would tell the complainers they should learn to "police their own" and they got what they deserved.

Was the backhanded complement done on purpose?
I'm not sure what you're construing as a "backhanded compliment".

I would never put Annette in the league of any of those guys.
Nor would I. The point I was making is, all of the replacements I listed replaced legends. Annette is not replacing a legend.

And maybe that is the key word here: Guys. You named a bunch of male leads who never had to go through what she did. It is one thing to tell Dio he sucks. It is quite another to call a woman a whore.
First, the reality is, there haven't been a whole lot of female leads (in Metal) with which to compare the situation. Second, so what if she's female? Unless you're a sexist and believe women and men aren't equal (I actually believe women are superior... my wife won't have it any other way:)), then her gender shouldn't be an excuse for her not being mentally tough enough to cope.

Dio, Ripper, Hagar, and Blaze all came into bands that played most shows on large stages in front of huge crowds separated by a moat-like gap. A hundred people could scream "you suck" during the middle of a song at a Van Hagar concert, and none of them would be heard. It would be quite different if Sammy had been sitting on the edge of the stage two feet from the fans.
A much more reasonable argument. However, whereas Annette is playing in front of 2,000, the singers I listed were playing in front of 10x that many and had the additional pressures that come along with stadium type shows. And again, all of this, is a sticks and stones kind of thing and she's suppose to be a professional.

In the end, it comes down to this... you either think what she did was excusable or you don't. If you're OK with her walking off the stage every time a few drunks in the crowd start hurling insults, that's your right. I stand by my comment; it's unprofessional.

Zod

A much more reasonable argument. However, whereas Annette is playing in front of 2,000, the singers I listed were playing in front of 10x that many and had the additional pressures that come along with stadium type shows. And again, all of this, is a sticks and stones kind of thing and she's suppose to be a professional.

In the end, it comes down to this... you either think what she did was excusable or you don't. If you're OK with her walking off the stage every time a few drunks in the crowd start hurling insults, that's your right. I stand by my comment; it's unprofessional.

Zod

I think that people have to draw that "professionalism" line somewhere--and nobody draws it in the exact same spot.

One thing we might agree on is that Annette better get her shit together quick. She will face worse treatment from the assholes, and turn some of her fans against her as well.

And there are only two words NightWish fans need to remember when they think about how hard it would be to replace Annette: Amanda Somerville.