Anyone else feel this same way about the show this year?

Yeah, I'm thrilled with the lineup, really. I've seen Iced Earth already (they seem to hit SF on a regular basis), and I've seen Nevermore like 3 or 4 times. I love 'em, but they aren't exactly hard to catch.

I'm happy that Glenn booked bands that I have very little chance of catching out here. I'll definitely be back this year.

As for whoever said it was prog-heavy, I -like- the kind of prog they're doing this year. I can't say I'm much for technical prog live (Zero Hour, for example), but the proggy bands this year (Vanden Plas, Pagan's Mind, Evergrey, etc.) have -groove-. I expect them to kick all kinds of ass.

My only disappointment is the fact that Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius aren't playing this year.

I like the fact that Evergrey and Symphony X are playing again. I know people bitched about them but I haven't seen them play the new material live. I think The Odyssey is one of the best releases in the last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nightwish, Vanden Plas and Rage though it will be the 2nd time in a week for Nightwish since thier headlining Bloodstock UK the weekend before.

As for the others, It's always exciting to check out new bands and I'm personally looking forward to Pagans Mind, Secret Sphere since I have heard thier music and looking forward to hearing the other bands whom I have yet to hear.

zinescene said:
My only disappointment is the fact that Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius aren't playing this year.

I like the fact that Evergrey and Symphony X are playing again. I know people bitched about them but I haven't seen them play the new material live. I think The Odyssey is one of the best releases in the last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nightwish, Vanden Plas and Rage though it will be the 2nd time in a week for Nightwish since thier headlining Bloodstock UK the weekend before.

As for the others, It's always exciting to check out new bands and I'm personally looking forward to Pagans Mind, Secret Sphere since I have heard thier music and looking forward to hearing the other bands whom I have yet to hear.

I am definitly looking forward to seeing you again man! Hopefully there will be time to hang out this year!

Wow, so many comments to make here...

Well as an avid Prog Power fan for almost four years now (excluding Helloween) I have been to the last two PP's and numerous out of state concerts to see SyX, IE, Blaze and on and on...

It was already predetermined for me that I would not be an attendance (I have posted this in another thread) but when I saw the lineup, I was the least bit dissappointed, this coming from a two time GB member...

I've already stated my opinions about the bands...but like Glenn said last year, no repeat bands...well, Evergrey I can understand, it's HIS favorite band (who still hasn't headlined yet BTW) and SyX plays to larger crowds now than PP shows...so why even waste your time playing there again? It was just because it was economic for them to play there, obviously...

I just think there are better bands in their respective genre's out there that should have played:

Rhapsody or Labyrinth - Secret Sphere (who I love)
Stratovarius + Sonata Arctica - Pagan's Mind and Rage...

I could go on and on...

For DreamLord, man I used to go for the fun of it, I am glad you can...but one day you'll have to grow up and realize there are more important things out there, remember going to PP's doesn't pay your bills...it just increases them...

Not that I am drifting from this style of music at all...it is not economic (for me) to go down for two bands I won't be able to see ever...

prog2112 said:
Hey Bear!!

Please tell me that Liz will be coming with you this year?!!! That would be awsome!!!!

-sheri

I'll be rocking with you down in front for Vanden Plas for sure....

Hey Lady!! I seriously doubt that Sheri, she really doesn't like to do concerts much anymore. I asked her if she wanted to go just to hangout still waiting to see what she is wanting to do. I'll tell her you asked though :Smokin:

Bear

Euro Metal Fan said:
For DreamLord, man I used to go for the fun of it, I am glad you can...but one day you'll have to grow up and realize there are more important things out there, remember going to PP's doesn't pay your bills...it just increases them...

I understand where you're coming from, but just how young do you think I am? Believe me, I am well aware of bills, all too well. PP gives me a chance to get away from those bills, away from work, etc. It also gives me a chance to take a well-deserved mini vacation and meet some people that I've met through UM. I'm also well aware of the finances, but seeing that it is 6 months away, I hardly see how anyone can say they don't or won't have the money.

I have sat and thought about this line up for a few hours now and, well, although I will be showing up in September to slam a few beers and listen to some good music, I am a little disappointed in the line-up (everyone has their opinion, I have mine). Maybe it was because of all the hype and build up over the course of several weeks that set me up for the fall. Maybe it was the fact that I expected to see a few bigger names, not necessarily iced earth or stratovarius, but maybe labyrinth, sonata arctica, freedom call, heavenly, or something along those lines (I'm partial to power metal so don't knock it). Maybe it was the fact that i don't consider 1/2 of these bands anywhere close to the caliber of what we saw at PP3. I guess it could be a number of things that have led to my disappoinment. The biggest being that 2 of these bands are now going to be playing at 3 of the 4 progpowers. Nothing against Syx or Evergrey because they are one of few prog bands that I like but this fills 2 slots that 2 other bands could have filled that i would normally never have the opportunity of seeing.
That being said, i will always attend progpower, regardless who is playing, Some will be better than others. This time it just did not stand up to all the hype. This is simply my opinion, based on what i have read there are many impressed with the line-up so it's all based on personal tastes. The line-up will in no way ruin my excitement as the event approaches.

I have just seen the lineup and this is just sad and disappointing.

I travelled from across the globe to be at PP3 (and cost me $3,000) and that was just a fabulous concert, also the previous years had some great acts. Unfortunately, it appears that the focus of PP4 is now on singular genre music. Has this now set a precedent and a path for all future PP festivals?

Apart from two of the bands on the roster, I have never heard of the others and to be honest I will give PP4 a very wide berth, as I simply have better things to do with my money and time. I am also sure there are many people who will also not bother with attending PP4.

I would like to know what the hell happened to Iced Earth. There was a strong commitement from Jon to be at PP4 and now nothing. Very Strange.

At the end of the day, a concert is a concert. I am not really bothered by who organises it as long as it has great bands to see. PP4 lineup does nothing to spark any real interest in this festival.

So it looks like that my great year end will be Wacken.
The Cardinal

Although I am somewhat disappointed in the bill, and think it's easily the weakest yet... I am absolutely ecstatic that Iced Earth is not playing!

My god, there's a lot of tightly wound poeple here today.. sheesh.. :)

I'm not knocking those of you who don't like the lineup, I myself (started a thread you can see my reasons) didn't know over 1/2 the bands listed, I'm still going.. but those of you who are not, thanks.. easier for me to obtain tickets.. hehehe [ wink nudge ]

I'm a heavy power fan myself, and I have to say the only 2 bands that didn't grab me off hte lineup were Vanden Plas and Redemption.. possibly Rage, but I haven't really listened to them since the Perfect Man album way back in the day.. I'll check out their later stuff this week.

If the prog band has a heavy vibe... like most on this lineup, they'll win a new fan in me.

NP - SECRET SPHERE - A Time Never Come :headbang:

Well, I'll throw my 2 cents into the fray. I am downright sad about this year. The only highpoints for me would be Nightwish and Rage (and Rage only marginally so). There are far too many bands out there with some name/quality recognition that would have built this one up nice but they aren't present.

There was mention in the past of Pretty Maids or Running Wild having sponsors for the show and the response was "Pretty Maids has ZERO interest and Running Wild is only on the 'second' tier of acts to be considered". Now, I'm not saying that any band is better than another, I don't need any dickheaded comments from State College, PA, and I'm not wanting to get into "it shoulda beens" but how can someone justify the acts on this bill and then in another breath say "there is no interest in the Pretty Maids" who have been around since 1984 with a catalog thicker than this undercard put together? How can Running Wild be secondary to any of these bands? I just don't understand the apparent desire for "new" over "proven". Hell, new like Masterplan or Dream Evil where everyone is talking about the bands would be ok, but this other stuff? It's not for me.

I was leaning toward Wacken this year and it looks like a done deal for me now. Shit.

Anyway, Glenn, you do a real nice job all the time and this isn't necessarily an attack on you. It's simply a point of view that we differ on and probably always will. Thanks for carrying the flag here and doing it well. I (and so many others) really appreciate it despite our bitching.

Dreamlord said:
I'm also well aware of the finances, but seeing that it is 6 months away, I hardly see how anyone can say they don't or won't have the money.

Well Dream, primarily because you don't know what someone has to spend or will have spent by September of this year, right?

Some of us go to too many festivals and spend way too much money traveling...um, who could I be talking about? *looks the other way and whistles*

For example, after (possibly) the NE Fest, the Cleveland BW&BK fest, Tuska in Helsinki, and Wacken, ProgPower is going to be expensive to just go for the sake of going.

Euro Metal Fan said:
Stratovarius + Sonata Arctica - Pagan's Mind and Rage...

LOL! Yeah thats all we need, 2 sets of boring generic typical power metal that all sounds the same.

You heard 1 stratovarius tune you basically have heard there discography :p

Well accept that one CD they did ages and ages ago.

Ya, it may sound the same, but they both sound better than Rage and Pagan's Mind. In that case, I'll take "sounding the same".

woosta said:
Ya, it may sound the same, but they both sound better than Rage and Pagan's Mind. In that case, I'll take "sounding the same".

That's pretty damned subjective. I think Pagan's Mind is the best new band I've heard in a long time, and Rage has a very varied and unique sound to their catalog. I like Sonata Arctica, and Stratovarius' new one doesn't make my teeth hurt like the last couple before it, but I'm much happier with what we have.

Geo, Pagan's Mind is the best new band you've heard in a while? What's that, like two weeks or something? Great new bands come out every week: OSI, Masterplan, and Circle II Cirlce (that's just this month!) Metal is groundbreaking every week! There is no new great band. I have yet to hear Pagan's Mind, so I can't pass judgement, but from what I understand, there are NO different than SyX. Metal can change all it wants, but there is always some other band to compare them to almost exactly...

::turning around to listen for whistle :) ::

NJ metalfest was shit!!! BTW. Not going there ever again...not even really excited to SyX again this month...

Euro Metal Fan said:
NJ metalfest was shit!!! BTW. Not going there ever again...not even really excited to SyX again this month...

I wouldn't exactly say that the NJ Metalfest was shit. Though I suppose if you ONLY like power & prog metal, that it wouldn't have been very enjoyable.

Personally, I had a hard time choosing my favorite performance from a list of about 15 bands!

you know, I have tried to stay pretty open minded about all this but enough is enough. Reading garbage like "LOL! Yeah thats all we need, 2 sets of boring generic typical power metal that all sounds the same" posted DrumRman irritates me. To people like me, all Prog metal sounds the same. Does that mean that i have to criticize everyone because of that, no, because it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Stop knocking other people who express their opinions about the line-up. I had my line-up at PP3, I didn't get it this go around, big deal. I personally would rather listen to strat or sonata anyday over pagans mind or rage, but thats my taste and I dont try to push that on anyone. But saying stuff like "boring power metal" only makes me think of "boring prog metal" Stop criticizing and just go and enjoy the damn show :headbang:

woosta said:
Well, I'll throw my 2 cents into the fray. I am downright sad about this year. The only highpoints for me would be Nightwish and Rage (and Rage only marginally so). There are far too many bands out there with some name/quality recognition that would have built this one up nice but they aren't present.

There was mention in the past of Pretty Maids or Running Wild having sponsors for the show and the response was "Pretty Maids has ZERO interest and Running Wild is only on the 'second' tier of acts to be considered". Now, I'm not saying that any band is better than another, I don't need any dickheaded comments from State College, PA, and I'm not wanting to get into "it shoulda beens" but how can someone justify the acts on this bill and then in another breath say "there is no interest in the Pretty Maids" who have been around since 1984 with a catalog thicker than this undercard put together? How can Running Wild be secondary to any of these bands? I just don't understand the apparent desire for "new" over "proven". Hell, new like Masterplan or Dream Evil where everyone is talking about the bands would be ok, but this other stuff? It's not for me.

I was leaning toward Wacken this year and it looks like a done deal for me now. Shit.

Anyway, Glenn, you do a real nice job all the time and this isn't necessarily an attack on you. It's simply a point of view that we differ on and probably always will. Thanks for carrying the flag here and doing it well. I (and so many others) really appreciate it despite our bitching.

I don't think ProgPower is the appropriate forum for "nostalgia acts".