Archetype

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
I just received Archetype's album "Dawning" and it totally spanked my ass. I cant believe that more has not been said about them on the board especially after they Powerfest this year. Any comments?

I like "Dawning" a lot, but one of the main things I liked was the singer, Greg Wagner. He got fired from the band a couple years ago, and they have been thru a couple singers since.

I saw their powerfest performance and it was so-so. The band sounded pretty good, the singer they had that day wasn't very good. They have since replaced him with another singer, but i don't know how he sounds.

I guess I'd be more jacked about this band if they actually had a little cohesion, but it's been several years since "Dawning" was released, and lord knows when they'll have another new disc out.

If they could get their act together they would make for a really good pre-party band. They are tied to Intromental which has supplied many bands for Prog Power in the past. They also are from the US (Ohio), so the costs to get them there shouldn't be very unreasonable at all.

Britt

I thought they kinda blew at Powerfest (the only sub-par performance of the weekend)... their singer at the time was pretty horrible... but they've recently added Tony, Helloween's webmaster and ex-member of a band called Mo' Rage, who is an amazing vocalist. Things are looking up for them.

metal71 said:
Why did Wagner get fired, anyway? And what is he up to now?
I don't know all the gory details of why he was fired. I recall the band issuing a statement that they wanted a more modern sounding vocalist or something. I know the guy they hired to replace Wagner was anything but modern sounding. It was probably a personality conflict of some sort.

As for what Greg is up to these days I found this link to one of his bands. http://www.myspace.com/halfwayattheend

He's also in another band called Shatter Messiah. http://www.shattermessiah.com

I'm not familiar with either band so I can't really comment on what they sound like. I'm going to check out that Shatter Messiah.

Britt

ps I should add that Shatter Messiah is Curran Murphy's band. Murphy played previously with Nevermore and Annihilator.

metal71 said:
Shatter Messiah! Featuring former Nevermore guitarist Curran Murphy. Are we sure Wagner he was fired from Archetype, or did he quit?
I recall the Archetype press release being rather bitter, but I don't technically know if Wagner was fired or not. I think he was, but I'm not positive. I just recall Archtype stating that they wanted to go in a different direction in regards to a vocalist. Released, fired, or whatever you want to call it, I don't think he simply left the band.

Britt

Archetype was one of the reasons why I was so stoked about the last Powerfest. I thought Les did a pretty good job of handling the vocal duties. If anything, I think his onstage antics turned some people off. I think they'd be a welcome addition to ProgPower, though it doesn't seem like they're into the scene as much as other bands of the genre.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
Archetype was one of the reasons why I was so stoked about the last Powerfest. I thought Les did a pretty good job of handling the vocal duties. If anything, I think his onstage antics turned some people off. I think they'd be a welcome addition to ProgPower, though it doesn't seem like they're into the scene as much as other bands of the genre.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

What on stage antics are you referring to? I've never seen them live is why I'm asking.

When Archetype played at Powerfest, Les was acting a little strange. Let's say he had a very effeminite stage presence. If he wasn't doing this Madonna-styled slide of the hand up and down his body, he was doing a Marilyn Monroe-styled lean-in with the microphone. At one point, he lifted his shirt up all Girls Gone Wild-style. Overall, he creeped a lot of people out. I just ignored his behavior and listened to his voice, which was pretty good. He couldn't handle the growling as well as Greg (at least he couldn't handle it as well as Greg did on album, as I never saw them with Greg), but his highs were far better. I hope this helps, Edgeofthorns.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I was really unimpressed with Archtype at PowerFest too. I thought they were the weakest band of the weekend, and it was mostly because of their singer. I missed a lot of his "antics" because I was standing towards the back during their set so it wasn't because I was creeped out, I just didn't care for his singing.

Tad Morose was incredible.

Morgana LeFay was killer.

Ion Vein was awesome.

Warmachine ruled! They were the big surprise of the weekend. Looking forward to their debut CD on Nightmare Records.

I can't wait to see who'll be there next year! (besides Ion Vein and Twelfth Gate)