Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies

Allfader

Kvelding
Mar 14, 2006
Near Mountains
At last I have my copy of this album...

I'm a very old fan of the band (since constellation) and is one of my favourite bands.

The Simen's work is simply awesome. He sings like a god in the album, but the another instruments don't sound like him...

About Simen... his performance is so far the best of the album.

About Arcturus... the keys are missing here, one of the main elements of the band. the guitars sounds a little darker and lower than previous releases and the drums are brilliantly performed but with a awful sound... I think they tried to return to the "aspera hiems symphonia" era or something like that.

I just wanna know your thoughts about it, personally I liked but something is missing... (I don't know if this is already done)

Gd album its got nothing on their past work tho. Demon Painter is my fav track, that riff jus gives me goosebumps evrytime i hear it.

Gotta agree with the original post, in the sense that the guitars are a little soft... the overall sound is a little flat really, especially if you do an A/B kinda comparison with The Sham Mirrors. Also agree on the lack of keys. :(

But still, I listen to it fairly often and do quite like it. It's probably too obvious to some, but it took me a while to realise that Simen's voice is what drives this album, I think I was trying to listen for "The Sham Mirrors part 2" and was initially disappointed when I didn't hear that.

But, holy shit, I can't wait for the live show next month!

how come you're like 2 years late to get your copy, when you've been a fan since, basically, the beginning..? dont mind my saying but i think that's kinda weird.

this is my least favorite Arcturus album. Simen's vocals aren't spectacular (compared to Garm's). and the guitars and overall result doesn't sound 'right', for some reason (as Ash mentioned). the overall production just could have been a LOT better, especially if you have noticed the 'pop' at the end of the second track, and the master volume is a bit lower.
my favorite track is probably Hufsa, or Hibernation Sickness Complete, too hard to pick one :D

you Aussies have fun at their concerts :)

personally i dont like this album at all. there is nothing good about it in my opinion. i loved Simens vocals until this and i loved arcturus until this. Sham Mirrors is one of my favorite albums of all time and it really bummed me out that this came after it. Simen has got nothing on Garm.

how come you're like 2 years late to get your copy, when you've been a fan since, basically, the beginning..? dont mind my saying but i think that's kinda weird.

this is my least favorite Arcturus album. Simen's vocals aren't spectacular (compared to Garm's). and the guitars and overall result doesn't sound 'right', for some reason (as Ash mentioned). the overall production just could have been a LOT better, especially if you have noticed the 'pop' at the end of the second track, and the master volume is a bit lower.
my favorite track is probably Hufsa, or Hibernation Sickness Complete, too hard to pick one :D

you Aussies have fun at their concerts :)

I don't picked the album before for a lot of reasons... I didn't had money and the album wasn't here until dic-2006 :erk: ...

I love Constellation and Aspera Hiems Symphonia, I liked a lot too la Masquerade Infernale...

about The Sham Mirrors... I liked just a little, but not like the albums I said before, specially AHS.

About Garm, he did a amazing work with this band, and again, Simen replaced him very good (I think the only guy who can replaces Garm in any band is Simen)

Is too obvious the fact the production could been so much better... that's another reason to say the album isn't good as I expected.

personally i dont like this album at all. there is nothing good about it in my opinion. i loved Simens vocals until this and i loved arcturus until this. Sham Mirrors is one of my favorite albums of all time and it really bummed me out that this came after it. Simen has got nothing on Garm.

+1

+1

you'd be surprised how many people would disagree with us here... :headbang:

I'm not surprised at all. The Sham Mirrors is the worst (or less-good) album for me. As I said before, Constellation ans Aspera Hiems Symphonia are the best albums of Arcturus.

I'm surprised with the fact that so many people say The Sham Mirrors is the best of arcturus...:erk: I can't understand it at all.

I'm surprised with the fact that so many people say The Sham Mirrors is the best of arcturus...:erk: I can't understand it at all.

In my opinion all Arcturus albums have significant flaws. The Sham Mirrors is the closest to being pretty much flawless. The thing I dont understand is how Simen is considered by some to fit Arcturus better. The only time i could see this is the comparison on La Masquerade.... but on Sham Mirrors, there is no comparison. Garm for the win!

Im pretty sure its impossible to make a better song than Radical Cut?

but that's not Garm singing on Radical Cut, it's Ihsahn ;)
the fact i can't pick a favorite track on The Sham Mirrors should probably be enough to prove it's indeed a flawless album!

do you mind pointing out what flaws you were referring to, especially on LMI ?

but that's not Garm singing on Radical Cut, it's Ihsahn ;)

i am well aware of that.. they were meant to be two seperate statements.i was referring to radical cut being by far the best song on the album and probably impossible to top, aside from Garms vocal perfomance on the rest of the album.

ironically, the one major flaw for me in LMI is Garms voice. its just ugly bordering on barely in key in some parts. While his voice on TSM is heavenly.

BreathingShadow: i totally agree with that. Garm's voice on LMI and Ulver's Themes is sometimes way too 'deep-throat'. i'm so glad he doesn't use that silly voice anymore...

Zephyrus: but i suppose your favorite arcturus album is still Sideshow Symphonies, based on the fact you're like the world's biggest Vortex fan? ;)