Are Fintroll Any Good?

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have been reading alot about this band, but I still have no idea what they sound like. Anyone out there heard these guys? Are the vocals black metal/death/clean? Are they any good? Thanks in advance!!!

If you go to the general music discussion on the UM forum, there was a thread on Black/Viking music recommendations. Quite an educational read actually...

Anyway, some people think of Finntroll and Moonsorrow as their favorite bands in this category. However, the vocals are death growls and black screams - I personally just don't get it. It's a real shame because I'm fascinated with the subject matter, I love the aggression in the music, I love the symphony/folk/scandinavian themes, but the vocals just ruin the whole thing for me.

I hear Bathory is a good place to start if you are a power fans willing to explore new horizons....you know, ease yourself into it.

Actually, Opeth is the best place to start if you are looking into the more extreme forms of metal with folk influences. Finntroll are good, but definitly an aqquired taste. I would recommend Elvinking which utilizes both death growls and power vocals.

I happen to like them very much. Of course, the death growls don't bother me. Very interesting music! I like the whole death/black/polka thing going on.

I hear Falkenbach are good if you like the viking theme.

Although why viking inspired music has to be growly vocals is beyond me....?

Originally posted by Salamurhaaja
They are crap, do yourself a favor, forget you ever heard of them.

Couldn't agree more.

I just heard some Finntroll - I understand that certain elements of obscure music take their time to grow on you, but this is a friggin' joke surely...

Polka Music mixed with Black Metal?? ("milk the cows, feed the hens, eat the strudel and burn the church") :lol: I swear, I was laughing out loud....if you're new to black/viking metal, do NOT start here....it sounds like a parody.

Thanks Penny - actually, I apologize to any Finntroll fans out there who took offense by my opinionated post (!), but they are hysterical. (And I'm a big Rhapsody fan so you can imagine how ridiculous Finntroll must be, heh heh).

Penny knows her stuff! She got me moving towards Falkenback and Mithotyn etc. :headbang: