Axel Rudi Pell?

nightwish58

Feb 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
I really wouldn't mind seeing Pell play at Prog Power. I think Johnny is an incredible singer and they would fit in very nicely in a shortened 4th spot with 75 minutes. What do you guys think?

I only half agree. They wouldn't fit in a shortened 4th spot. Too much stuff :)
I do agree that Gioeli has an ungodly awesome voice. But I tried listening to some of his other band (Hardline) and just couldn't really stomach much of it musically.

ARP would just be awesome to see shredding on stage though. Those power ballads really grab me.

enki3600 said:
I only half agree. They wouldn't fit in a shortened 4th spot. Too much stuff :)
I do agree that Gioeli has an ungodly awesome voice. But I tried listening to some of his other band (Hardline) and just couldn't really stomach much of it musically.

ARP would just be awesome to see shredding on stage though. Those power ballads really grab me.

The Hardline and Rudi Pell sound is from the same school! What is it that turns you off from the Hardline stuff?

Give Hardline II a shot if you haven't already.

enki3600 said:
I only half agree. They wouldn't fit in a shortened 4th spot. Too much stuff :) .

I agree that they have too much stuff, but I am just being realistic. There is no way that Glenn would consider them for a true headliner spot just solely based on lack of appeal. That is why I like Glenn's idea of shortening the 4th spot and adding to the 2nd slot. To me, this would be a perfect example, especially if a band like Balance of Power returned for an extended second slot and got 60 minutes. Hint Hint:loco:

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
I have never heard them, any suggestions?

Well, there is Axel Rudi Pell playing in the band Steeler (no, not the keel/malmsteen steeler) and it's raw German power metal. Undercover Animal is poorly produced but highly enjoyable in terms of songs.

Axel Rudi Pell solo stuff:

The debut, "Wild Obsession", features Charlie Huhn of Victory on vocals. 50% awesome songs, 50% ok songs.

"Nasty Reputation" features Rob Rock on vocals and is a very solid showcase for both Rock and Pell. One of my favorite Pell cds.

The next 6 or so cds feature Jeff Scott Soto on vocals. Try "Eternal Prisoner" for the best of that lot. That being said, ALL the Soto/Pell cds are strong. "Between the Walls" is very solid, "Black Moon Pyramid" is fantastic, "Magic" is just ok for me though.

The latest 4 or so releases feature Johnny Geioli (sp?) of Hardline and are VERY good. The weakest one for me is the newest one, "Kings and Queens". "Oceans of Time" is great all around. "Shadow Zone" is solid throughout.

Just avoid the "Ballads" cds until you're a fan because ballads aren't his strong suit if you ask me.

edgeofthorns said:
The Hardline and Rudi Pell sound is from the same school! What is it that turns you off from the Hardline stuff?

Give Hardline II a shot if you haven't already.

Maybe I'll have to go back and give it a try. It has been a good year or so, and I thought I would love anything he fronted just because of his voice, but I downloaded a few songs from the website and all I remember is being really unimpressed. I guess I gave the wrong impression earlier that it was horrible, when really I was just "ehh..." (or however you spell the sound those people make on that wendy's lunch salad commercial :D )

On the other hand, I would love anything Mathias Blad (ex-Falconer) sang, and would die to get my hands on some of the musical stuff he's doing.:cool:

Axel Rudi Pell would rule! That alone would be enough to get me to come next year to PP or anywhere else in the US he plays. Johnny Geoli is one of my favorite vocalists.

To the person looking for ARP CD's to try, there's a cool greatest hits collection called The Wizards Chosen Few that makes a great introduction to the band.