Band lineup trivia

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
Can anyone name some bands in the metal genre who are currently together and haven't had a lineup change in at least ten years?

I think Dream Theater is going on eight since Jordan Rudess joined the band, but I'm hard pressed to think of anyone else off the top of my head who has held it together that long.

Hasn't Children of Bodom been stable since 1997?

Edguy, Kamelot, Symphony X, Rhapsody (well, they changed their name not members :loco:)
Symphony X's lineup has been stable for 8 years .. Mike LePond replaced Thomas Miller in 2000.

Kamelot is just at 10 years without losing a member .. Khan joined up in 1998 for Siege Perilous. They did however add a permanent keyboardist this past year or so.

Britt

Edguy is coming up on ten years with this lineup. Tobias Exxel jumped on board and relieved Tobias Sammet from bass duties in 99. However, they've only had one loss since starting. Old drummer Dominik Storch left the band in 97 or 98, in between the Kingdom Of Madness and Vain Glory Opera releases.

The only other band I can think of that has had the same lineup for ten years now, other than the ones mentioned already, is In Flames. I think they've been the same since 98.

It's pretty rare for bands to stay stable for a long time. It seems like there are so many things that can pull them apart. They could not have success and thus people have to leave to concentrate on day jobs. They can have success and egos start to clash.

What do you think bands with stable lineups have in common? It seems to me that the most stable bands have either one guy in charge who makes all the decisions(like Edguy or Bon Jovi), or everyone contributes and is happy they are being heard(like Dream Theater or Rush). When it's two people competing for dominance, often a singer and a primary songwriter, that's when things tend to not last.

Am I on the right track, or way off?

No mention of Iron Maiden???
Janick came on board when Adrian left, and Adrian came back about ten years ago.

Maiden FTW :kickass:

Lets not forget about good 'ol Blaze Bailey taking a turn at the wheel. The X Factor is one of my favorite Maiden albums. Ok, release the flames....:devil:

Freak Kitchen is going on 8 years (original drummer & bass player left shortly after 2000's Dead Soul Men) , not quite 10, but close... 10 years of stability looks like a pretty tough milestone for a band to achieve. Other than bands already mentioned, I'm drawing a blank...

Respect the classics, kids: Uriah Heep had a stable lineup from 1987 until 2007 when drummer Lee Kerslake retired. Band itself is approaching its 40th anniversary.

No mention of Iron Maiden???
Janick came on board when Adrian left, and Adrian came back about ten years ago.

Maiden FTW :kickass:

Iron Maiden have had the current 6-person lineup since January 1999... so it's been over 9 years.

I believe Gamma Ray has had the same lineup since 1996 or 1997, when Schlachter switched from guitars to bass and Richter and Zimmerman joined the band

Tarot. They have had only one actual change in their lineup since they started. In 1988 their 2dn guitarist Mako H was replaced with Janne Tolsa playing keys. Tommi Salmela was long involved with Tarot as a roadie, then in 1995 he started singing backgrounds and playing sampler at live gigs and also did backround singing on records. Yet officially (read: legal-wise) he was added as a full member of the band in 2006 but it was rather a formality.

This thread got me to thinking. At first I was thinking about bands who had lots of lineup changes ie; Megadeth, Iced Earth, Death and Annihilator.

Then I started wondering if there was any bands with no original members left. I once heard that Judas Priest had no original members. Is this correct?