Band lineup trivia

I would say Nevermore(other than the rotating second guitarist, but it's been the same otherwise since the beginning). Angra has been the same with the new line-up(can't think of how many years that ha sbeen though). I am not a big fan by many means, but I believe Avenged Sevenfold has had the same line-up. Behemoth I believe has had the same line-up for the last few cds. Between the Buried and Me. Killswitch Engage has had the same line-up for a while now too. I also believe that Disturbed has he original line-up. Gwar. Katatonia has had the same line-up for a while now, i would think at least 10 years. Lamb of God is also the original line-up, if I am not mistaken. That's it for now.

Behemoth I believe has had the same line-up for the last few cds.

Behemoth has only had Orion on bass since 2004. Also, around 2003 their last guitarist left and Seth took his place, but even though he's been with them for the last 5 years he's still not officially part of the band :err:

As for the question about bands that don't have ANY original members left: Napalm Death and Possessed are two bands I'm sure of, I don't know about any others.

I once heard that Judas Priest had no original members. Is this correct?

As far as I know, K.K. Downing and Ian Hill formed the band in 68, and have been with it since.

This thread got me to thinking. At first I was thinking about bands who had lots of lineup changes ie; Megadeth, Iced Earth, Death and Annihilator.

Then I started wondering if there was any bands with no original members left. I once heard that Judas Priest had no original members. Is this correct?

Death metal band Dying Fetus has no original members left for sure. That always makes me laugh to think of something like that.

Also, the band Paradise Lost has had an extremely stable lineup for YEARS.

Then I started wondering if there was any bands with no original members left. I once heard that Judas Priest had no original members. Is this correct?

Before we go there, I think we need to define what this means. A completely different lineup from the debut release to the current.

Labyrinth, perhaps?

I was just going on memory without looking things up. I was just thinking, has Strapping Young Lad been the same since the beginning, and Pagan's Mind is still the original, isn't it?

This thread got me to thinking. At first I was thinking about bands who had lots of lineup changes ie; Megadeth, Iced Earth, Death and Annihilator.

Imago Mortis has no original members left... (not that many people know Imago mortis, but they have 3 albuns out... and nobody who recorded the first album was on the 3rd album)...

It's pretty rare for bands to stay stable for a long time. It seems like there are so many things that can pull them apart. They could not have success and thus people have to leave to concentrate on day jobs. They can have success and egos start to clash.

What do you think bands with stable lineups have in common? It seems to me that the most stable bands have either one guy in charge who makes all the decisions(like Edguy or Bon Jovi), or everyone contributes and is happy they are being heard(like Dream Theater or Rush). When it's two people competing for dominance, often a singer and a primary songwriter, that's when things tend to not last.

Am I on the right track, or way off?

Way off. Usually bands with one guy in charge have the most unstable lineups (Iced Earth, Death, Into Eternity, Necrophagist, etc).

As for the question about bands with no original members, Napalm Death definitely rings a bell.

I was just going on memory without looking things up. I was just thinking, has Strapping Young Lad been the same since the beginning, and Pagan's Mind is still the original, isn't it?

Nah, Strapping had Adrian White on Drums for the first album, and just about a different keyboard player for every release from No Sleep Till Bedtime onward.

And, I originally thought Pagan's Mind myself, but Thorstein Aaby (R.I.P.) left in 2003.

As others pointed out earlier, I think Gamma Ray and Vanden Plas are the only active metal bands (recording and touring) that haven't had a lineup change in the last ten years (or ever, in the case of Vanden Plas). A few bands are coming close to reaching that ten year mark (Angra, Dream Theater, Freak Kitchen, Iron Maiden, Symphony X), which is nice to see. It's the nature of the business. Bands very rarely keep their original lineup intact throughout their career.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Imago Mortis has no original members left... (not that many people know Imago mortis, but they have 3 albuns out... and nobody who recorded the first album was on the 3rd album)...

Not really metal, but unless Dave Hlubeck is back in full time, Molly Hatchet hasn't had the original lineup in quite some time....