Benedictum - Dominion

You know buddy not sure if I know who you are but if you have a fuckin issue with me then let's disuse this.

oh ok I see now "UM's Resident Asshole"

sTioJ

I love these guys!! I've looked up to Veronica ever since I learned about Benedictum, a few years ago. She's the kind of female vocalist I look up to. Literally. She's like.. a foot and a half taller than me. x_x But I love that in her voice I hear a metal singer that's a woman.. not a woman metal singer, yanno? That's what I love. Can't wait to get this album. :)

I love these guys!! I've looked up to Veronica ever since I learned about Benedictum, a few years ago. She's the kind of female vocalist I look up to. Literally. She's like.. a foot and a half taller than me. x_x But I love that in her voice I hear a metal singer that's a woman.. not a woman metal singer, yanno? That's what I love. Can't wait to get this album. :)

I was first given a burn of their debut and had no idea that was a woman singing. I still forget sometimes. Your point about her being a metal singer first and foremost is spot-on.

Band is ok. I remember the first time I look up their website a big picture of cleavage loaded on to the screen and that immediately turn me off of the band. Never been much into women in bands who had to go that direction to sell themselves in a bad. But in her defence she is a great metal singer. But that was only a first impression, maybe I should look into them again.

view.php

I truly don't have it in me to complain about Veronica Freeman looking this way. Great voice, along with sexy looks...nice combination if you ask me.:Spin:

~Brian~

I like the new one quite a bit ... definately more interesting to my ears than their previous stuff, although I liked that material as well. There's only a couple female singers I like in metal ... this gal is definately one of them.

Britt

First of all something is up with the production. It's quite heavy but lacks clarity.
This. The vocals are crystal clear, but the rest is quite muddied.

The new disc is solid. I like the style and dig Veronica's vocals. I simply find the songwriting (on all of their release) to be fairly average.
Let me walk this back. The disc is quite strong, and the songwriting has taken a nice step forward. Definitely going on my buy list.

Really? Hmmm... I can see them not being within someone's homerun swing, but surprised you lost interest that quickly.

I don't know, I guess I gotta give it another try. A lot of albums that I really like I actually hated at first.

Justin Gaines said:
Andre Matos likes them (probably).

Well, that is an entirely different story then. Had I known that, I would be pimping them since last year, before the album was out! :loco::loco:

It's my favorite disc so far this year ... probably will be a strong contender for my top 10 this year. I think it's a really strong disc ... a nice mix of prog, power, and traditional.

Britt

Got the disc in the mail the other day. Have spun it several time since then. Overall I think it's a good album. I don't like it as much as either of the first 2 albums, but I'm giving it some time, as most albums are not an immediate love or hate for me.

When I first heard "Uncreation" (Benedictum's debut album) I immediately loved it. In fact, I loved it so much it beat out Doro's "Warrior Soul" for my top album of that year (and you all know how much of a Doro fan-girl I am :D). When I first heard "Seasons of Tragedy" (their 2nd album), I thought it was good, but it didn't love it the way I did Uncreation. Given some time, I definitely saw/heard that the production and song writing had significantly improved with that follow-up release.

With regards to the new album "Dominion," I did notice a difference in the production quality. I'm no production expert, so I have yet to decide if it's a change for the better or worse. I do hear what someone on here said about the vocals being very stand-out and mostly everything else being kind of muddy, but their are the occasions where I do hear some of the instruments or the drums being brought to the forefront of the songs. If anything that makes me feel like maybe the album was over-produced a bit, but like I said I'm no production expert.

Thus far I can say I really like the first/title track "Dominion," and track 3 "The Seer," but following that the next stand-out song for me (so far) is track 9 "Bang," which is the kind of really kick-ass metal anthem I love and have come expect from Benedictum. This doesn't mean I think the other tracks are bad, just that they have not yet stood out to me the way those 3 did upon my intial listen. I do also really like the bonus track "Sanctuary" and the cover of Rush's "Temple of Syrinx."

This album has the potential to make it into my top 10 for the year, but as I said, I think I still need to give it a few more spins and some time to grow on me. I'll probably revisit this thread once I've had a chance to do that.