Best Metal Songwriters

Kevin Moore
Martin Walkyier
Oliva/O'Neill
Gildenlow
Matheos
Peart (lyrics)

ummm... Swanö, Sudano, Sammett ...honorable mention.

And in the world of non-metal rock:
Alan Parsons
Neal Morse
Fish
possibly Townshend

So who are your favorites?

Doug Ott & Ted Leonard & Paul Craddick (Enchant)....their newer stuff is still excellent, but I do miss Paul's additions since he left the band.

Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation).

John Petrucci (Dream Theater)....but mostly for the guitar parts (vs. the entire song). No one can write a guitar melody/solo like Petrucci, IMO. Instantly recognizable style, brilliantly written (and played).

Vanden Plas (not sure who does the majority of their writing.

I know I'm gonna get shit for this but one album where the lyrics just took me to another place was Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beast.Dani Filth can write some good poetry when he's not trying to be witty.

I am going to agree with you 100%. I think they lyrics on Cruelty and the Beast are probably the best I have ever heard. They are so unbelievably vivid - the only other person in the ball park of that style would be Edgar Allen Poe. Cruelty and the Beast is an annomoly of that genre which is largely filled with lyrics just for shock value or otherwise just grotesque and dumb. Cruelty however - sometimes I feel less like I am listing to music and moreso looking at paintings or scenes. A truly brilliant work.