Better Know A Band: Voyager

Mosquito

oh noes!!
Jan 23, 2002
Columbia, SC, USA
www.myspace.com
Voyager:

Wiki Entry:

VOYAGER (band) are a "Progressive Metal" band from Perth, Western Australia. Formed in 1999 by Daniel Estrin, a German-born musician, Mark Baker and Adam Lovkis, the band saw a few lineup changes before recording the album Element V in 2003 with Aidan Barton at Sovereign Studios, Willetton, Western Australia. The lineup for Element V consisted of Daniel Estrin (keyboards, vocals), Mark De Vattimo (guitar), Jennah Graieg (bass), Geoff Callaghan (drums) and Emanuel Rudnicki (guitar), who briefly played in true metal band Black Steel in 2002.

The album Element V was picked up by Dutch label DVS Records and released in Europe in 2004. Japanese label Woodbell/Experience licenced the album for Japanese distribution in the same year and released it with a bonus track "Now and Forever".

Voyager's popularity increased with the European release of Element V and the band secured its first major support, opening for Steve Vai in Perth in July 2004.

After the release of Element V, Melissa Fiocco replaced Jennah on bass. Following a performance at Melbourne's Corner Hotel in late 2005 as part of a Screaming Symphony radio benefit concert, both Emanuel and Geoff were replaced by Simone Dow and Mark Boeijen respectively. Boeijen is best known for his drumming for Perth extreme metal bands Samain and Vesper's Descent.

In early 2006, Voyager entered Sovereign studios to record 'uniVers', with Boeijen and Dow as firm members of the band. Voyager shot a video clip to the radio edit version of the song "Sober" and released this as a limited edition single on 22 July 2006 with the tracks "White Shadow" (also on 'uniVers') and "Garden of Love". Apparently "Garden of Love" is based on a poem by William Blake of the same name. Only 500 copies of the single were pressed.

The band performed at the ProgPower Festival in the Netherlands in 2006 and received positive responses from the media. As a result of this performance, Voyager were invited to ProgPower UK in 2008.

In late 2006, Voyager were due to perform with Nevermore, whose Perth leg of the show was ultimately cancelled. Voyager were also due to support Yngwie Malmsteen following their return from the first European Tour, but were struck from the show last minute because Malmsteen did not want any support acts for his Australian tour.

In early 2007, DVS Records announced its closure and Voyager had no label to release their album 'uniVers', which was fully recorded at that stage.

In October 2007, the band signed to German label Dockyard 1 Records in Hamburg, who released 'uniVers' worldwide, with the USA receiving the album for distribution in January 2008 through Locomotive Records. 'uniVers' received critical acclaim throughout the world, being voted album of the month in Belgium's Mindview magazine, album of the week in Finland's Imperiumi magazine as well as #7 for the Full Metal Racket albums of 2007 on Australia's national alternative broadcasting station Triple J.

The band parted ways with bass player Melissa Fiocco shortly after the release of 'uniVers', a split which was not without controversy. Fiocco was replaced by Alex Canion, who was 18 years old at the time of joining. Shortly after Canion's first appearance with Voyager in Perth, Western Australia, the band embarked on a mini-tour to Sydney and Melbourne with labelmates Eyefear, to promote 'uniVers'.

In January 2008, Voyager performed with Finnish melodic metal band Nightwish in Perth, Western Australia. The band's scheduled Australian tour with Toto in March 2008 was cancelled, apparently due to Toto's stage requirements.

In late February 2008, ProgPower UK was also cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Voyager indicated in press releases that they would continue their European tour of Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland in spite of the cancellation.

In June 2008, Voyager parted ways with guitarist Mark De Vattimo due to personal and professional differences. The band recently announced that Chris Hanssen, at only 17 years of age, would be the new guitarist.

Personal Take:
On a recommendation from a friend many years ago, I picked up Element V (on mp3, the physical copy took me years to finally find -- THANKS KEN!) I finally got Element V a few years ago. They were pretty quiet after Element V's release but then got signed to Piet's (Iron Savior) Dockyard 1 label. They released UniVers which still kept it stylistically similar to Element V, but with less cookie monster vocals and a more polished production. It's a very catchy album. I Am The ReVolution was released late last year and is very similar to UniVers.

The thing that I would say that sets Voyager apart is their really strong songwriting, the unique voice of Daniel Estrin, and dreamy-esque keyboards.

They also have a capital V in all of their album titles.

Glenn also stated on numerous occassions that he would not be able to book these guys because it cost too much to get them from Austrailia but I'm happy that he found a way. VERY happy. So much so that when I saw this flash by on the scree, it took me a minute to realize what was going on. This was proceeded with Palabra De Dios (William) and I to scream like two little asian girls who just found out Hello Kitty is coming to their school.

Sounds like:

A very poppy, proggy-esque band with really catchy vocal melodies. Not exactly the easiest band to describe. Their keys on Element V sound very Bal-Sagoth-esque. Some use of cookie monster vocals on Element V and a few moments afterwards.

Discography at a glance:

Element V - Bal-Sagothy Keys, 1/3 Cookie Monster vocals, great songwriting but more of a concept album. The best way to describe the keys on this album are dreamscapes. I do not mean the band. This is a very very unique sounding metal album. Highly recommended.

UniVers - Thankfully they didn't suffer from the failed sophomore effort here, and I would say that although I still prefer Element V, this is a huge step forward for them. Less Cookie Monster vocals and better sounding keys.

I Am The ReVolution - Very similar to UniVers. Some slightly proggier moments. Less emphasis on the keys. Some truly Depeche Mode-esque moments on songs like In My Arms.

Quick Song Hitlist:
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi - Element V
To The Morning Light - Element V
The Eleventh Meridian - Element V
This Bitter Land - Element V
Cross The Line - UniVers
Sober - UniVers
White Shadow - UniVers
Higher Existance - UniVers
Pulse 04 - UniVers
Land of the Lies - I Am The ReVolution
Lost - I Am The ReVolution
The Devil In Me - I Am The ReVolution
Straight to the Other Side - I Am The ReVolution
I Am the Revolution - I Am The ReVolution

Some Tube Links:

Final Thoughts:

Should be an awesome show, not really sure what they will play though. Setlist.fm has nothing for them. I am sure they will play Sober and Lost though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, when Justin showed me this band several years ago, I fell in love. So majestic, and all three of their CDs are just classy effing prog. Great to see that they're coming this year. I think Element V is still my favorite, but it was also the only thing I listened to by them for quite a while before the follow-up came out and I was actually able to buy it.

I have listened to 2 of their 3 albums so far. Trying to get into them. I like a couple of their songs, but not really sold on them yet. Thank you again for a very informative thread.

Thanks for this post, Justin!

I didn't know what to think of this band at first. Not a huge fan of the older stuff, from what I've heard so far, as it seems to rely too heavily on atmospheric keys. "Lost" is an incredible song, heavier, with more staccato and more guitar. I really like the vocalist; he's a major departure from the stereotypical Tate/Alder/LaBrie school of high-pitched prog metal vocalists. If this is the direction they're going, then I approve. :)

"Element V" was a blind buy from Ken and I really liked it. The band came back into my awareness when the new album came out and "Lost" was posted on this board. I'm honestly excited to see these guys.

I picked up Element from The End when they had it on their 3.33 special. I never heard of the band before and thought I'd give it a go from the description. I really liked what I heard and was pleasantly surprised when they were announced for next year. Gonna have to pick up their other offerings soon.

If I may ask, out of curiosity, why exactly did you write them off initially?
Listened to a couple clips and they didn't really hit me; I typically like things of a heavier variety.

After listening to all the clips posted really enjoyed his voice-- and then everything else kind of fell into place.

I'd also never heard them before the announcement but the singing jumped out at me right away. I gotta support singers that are this good.

I'd also never heard them before the announcement but the singing jumped out at me right away. I gotta support singers that are this good.

This.

I had "heard of" the band, probably from posts around here, and knew enough to realize that it was a solid announcement that will make a lot of people happy.

Digging around on mp3 sites, I had found a band called Voyager and bought a few of the downloads. The logo looked pretty similar to what I had seen in the announcement and the previews seemed "rock" enough. As I was listening, I thought, "mkay this is alright but kinda like low-production early 90's rock. wtf is Glenn doing? *continues to give it a try*" Then I noticed that my last.fm listened several bands under the Voyager name and that more than one were rock-oriented. I stopped listening, found my way to the (right) Voyager website, and saw that the discography didn't match what I had in my iTunes. So I clicked one of the youtube videos and within seconds I was so relieved. "Oh thank heavens! Now this is more like it," I thought. I heard "Lost" and it was magical. I'm blown away by the vocals and seriously strong song writing.

I'm now looking forward to this band almost as much as Arcturus, which is saying a lot. I see good things for this band in the future if they wow us at PP like they are on disc. It's a shame it's so expensive for them to come here.

Because it is just pretty cool: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqgPJKAOsU&feature=related[/ame]