Better know an Artist: IHSAHN

Thanks for this post!!! I loved the track form the last CD. In general, I think it will be easier for people to get into this than Arcturus. I bought a couple of cd's at PP, but couldn't get into them.

yeah, I think 'After' is the coolest thing he's done, but I'm huge on prog, progressive music (not just metal), everything related to any of that..

If there is any Emperor in the set, I'm hoping for 'The Loss and Curse of Reverance' or 'I am the Black Wizards'. I certainly understand if there isn't though, both his reasoning and why fans wouldn't want it. There are countless 'extreme' fests and tours over here in the U.S., classic/melodic/power is something of a dirty word in a lot of circles, so PP is necessary in it's own form for the most part.

Emperor is my favorite black metal band but I couldn't get into Ihsahn's first 2 solo albums at all. I almost wrote him off until After came out. It was one of my albums of the year, so everyone should start with that album if you're new to him.

I'm completely new to Ihsahn, because I'm not into the black metal stuff at all. With that said, I've listened to some of his first solo album and I'm still on the fence about him. I do find it interesting though and admit to him being talented. At times, his first solo album has a King Diamond vibe to it, for me anyway. Has anyone else ever gotten that out of him or am I completely crazy?

~Brian~

I'm completely new to Ihsahn, because I'm not into the black metal stuff at all. With that said, I've listened to some of his first solo album and I'm still on the fence about him. I do find it interesting though and admit to him being talented. At times, his first solo album has a King Diamond vibe to it, for me anyway. Has anyone else ever gotten that out of him or am I completely crazy?

~Brian~

You ARE completely crazy, but that doesn't make you wrong ;)

Ihsahn has had a king Diamond/Rob Halford clean vocal thing going since 1999's IX Aequilibrium

~Brian~

His first solo album was a strong carry over of what was going on with Emperor circa their last album Prometheus...check out his latest solo album After or even the 2nd one Angl to get a better idea of what his solo stuff is really like...

~Brian~

At first I thought you were crazy; however, I thought about it more and I can see it when it comes to comparing Ihsahn to Diamond's lower - mid registers. Musically I don't see any similarity though.

No, I hear a little bit of MF/KD influence in a few songs, too; Called by the Fire stands out:

And yeah all the songs that have that vibe are on the Adversary, so you're not completely crazy, unless we're both the same kind of crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: