Black Sabbath Tony Martin Era

sixxswine said:
From Bryant has been tellin' me I guess I gotta get that Misha Calivin disc as well.
I like Tony's voice, more & more, with each listen. He's kinda like Glenn Hughes, he has a voice that grows on you...
Be warned.... Misha Calvin sounds more like Whitesnake than Sabbath, but I think it's some of Martin's best vocal work. You will also have to buy that disc used as it is out of print. I have a version that is a remsater from 2001 but it too is out of print. i got it on Ebay for $20

bryant

A friend of mine sent me a Sabbath CD with Ray Gillen singing on it. I screwed up and it fell on the floor and got too scratched up to play though. Waaah !! that was interesting.

Bryant

TheGraveDigger said:
In my opinion the Eternal Idol is an incredible album.

Also I did not know about Halford/Sabbath! Someone fill me in on that whole story.
As far as I know goes like this. After the famous "Dehumanizer" reunion ($$$) in 1992 frictions came again on the Sabbath camp. Dio decided to leave the tour just before the Costa Mesa gig. I do not know from where Rob Halford jump into it an offer his services as lead vocals to end the tour. Since I also know that Vinnie Appice meft with Dio (at the same time or after the tour) I don't know if someone also cover the drum seat or Appice finish it until the end. Of course when "Cross Purposes" came out Geezer butler was still aboard, Tony Martin return as frontman and Bobby Rondinelli covered the drums.

I don't know the whole "sordid" affair, but I always hope that some caritative soul has recorded the bootleg concerts and one day (killing lawyers in the process) someone came out with the CD. After all I got the Deep Purple concert with Joe Satriani ('Battle Of 93') as 2-CD bootleg (not CD-R). :D

Martin era sabbath (Headless Cross) was actually the first Sabbath I ever bought. Call me weird, but I'm not a big fan of Ozzy Sabbath and though I discovered Dio in 1983, I never really got into Sabbath until Headless Cross. Without Martin, I might have never become a fan. Some of the purists can't deal with Sabbath unless it is the original lineup, but they are missing out onj some great music.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Martin era sabbath (Headless Cross) was actually the first Sabbath I ever bought. Call me weird, but I'm not a big fan of Ozzy Sabbath and though I discovered Dio in 1983, I never really got into Sabbath until Headless Cross. Without Martin, I might have never become a fan. Some of the purists can't deal with Sabbath unless it is the original lineup, but they are missing out onj some great music.

Bryant
Amen to that!!! At last there's someone sharing my opinion. Bryant, you're not weird, you just have your own taste. And so have I. There are plenty of great songs Sabbath did with Ozzy singing but when you look at complete albums it's quite obvious that both, Sabbath and Ozzy, were better off without each other. Ozzy became much better with his (first) solo outputs and Sabbath also grew stronger with Dio and especially with Martin.

TheGraveDigger said:
In my opinion the Eternal Idol is an incredible album.

Also I did not know about Halford/Sabbath! Someone fill me in on that whole story.
"It wasn't working out with Ronnie. Playing-wise, it was great. But it didn't feel right. When Ozzy asked us to open his final show in Costa Mesa, things came to a head. Ronnie took a different attitude and refused to do the show. We originally asked Tony Martin to replace him, but he couldn't get a visa on such short notice. So Rob Halford offered to try. He's from Birmingham like us, so we had three hours to rehearse in Phoenix and it sounded great. It was done for fun. We didn't care if people - wait a minute - we did care if people threw bottles, but it was a good time."
- Geezer Butler, Boston Rock, April 1994

"We were really forced to start thinking of someone from outside of the Sabbath family, so to speak. I think Rob's name was the first to come up and after a little bit of thought we just said, 'Yeah, it's obvious isn't it?' The guy is from Birmingham, so he had that going for him, plus, of course, we all knew Rob has an amazing voice. With Black Sabbath we have always had singers with great character, but Rob has that as well as a range that means he can sing pretty much anything we have ever done easily. When we got hold of him it turns out that he really didn't need to learn too much because he had all the albums already. The guy lives and breathes heavy metal. He lived only a few hours away too, so everything locked into place there too. He saved our bacon on the day."
- Geezer Butler, Black Sabbath : Never Say Die!, 2003

"As I recall, the telephone call came completely out of the blue. As I was told, Sharon, Tony and Ozzy had put their heads together and came up with my name... The guys came down to my hometown of Phoenix, Arizona and we soon had something worked out..."
- Rob Halford, Black Sabbath : Never Say Die!, 2003

"Rob called Wendy and I and said, 'Listen, I've been asked to do these Black Sabbath shows, but I really don't want to lose our friendship. If it is going to upset things between us, then I'll decline'. Now, Rob didn't need to do that all, but he's a true gentleman so he did the right thing. I wouldn't say Rob needed our permission, but he wanted our blessing, not that he needed it, and he got it. It didn't matter to me at that stage who was going to do it, but I was glad it was Rob, and I thought some of the song choices were interesting too.
"I knew everything about what was going on. I would see Vinnie in the mornings and I would say, 'Going to rehearsals?' and Vinnie would say, 'Yeah, going to rehearse with Rob'. It was all out in the open."
- Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath : Never Say Die!, 2003

And Vinnie Appice was behind the drumkit.

More info here : http://members.firstinter.net/markster/METALWORKS.html#NOVEMBER%201992:

Bryant said:
Be warned.... Misha Calvin sounds more like Whitesnake than Sabbath, but I think it's some of Martin's best vocal work. You will also have to buy that disc used as it is out of print. I have a version that is a remsater from 2001 but it too is out of print. i got it on Ebay for $20

bryant
That's not a problem, I liked the pre-pop Whitesnake stuff better anyhow.
I have to look that up then & hope for the best...:erk:

I'm surprised it took me so long to reply to this thread. I love the Tony Martin stuff as well. I bought Headless Cross because I noticed it was one I hadn't heard and loved it. I bought Tyr soon after and enjoyed that one as well but I still have yet to buy any more of the Martin Sabbath albums.

I'm just glad to see I'm not alone in thinking these are some of the strongest Sabbath albums out there.