BLIND GUARDIAN in US

Comicon is less about comics than it ever has been. It's movie, tv, anime, everything now. If you come for it, you're taking a chance on finding some tickets on CL or out front, as they have been sold out for months. I usually liked to go there if I had a day to kill on the weekend, check out the vendor booths and such, but the days of just being able to show up and go are long gone.

actually the comic industry is on an upswing. More and more people are reading them. In the office I work in lots of people are reading more graphic novels and stuff. People that in a million years would never be seen reading a "comic book". Plus Marvel has the online thing where you pay like 50 bucks a year for over 3,000 books you can read online. Plus lots of real authors are writing more comics now and trying new things out. Just look at the biggest films this year so far....all comic related. I dont see them going away forever, maybe the just look or idea of going to the corner store to get a new issue wont be the same, but the idea and characters will always be there. Myself, I stopped collecting over a decade ago but I am back buying the newer books in trade paperback format, which basically collects 6 issues of a series. Much easier than racing to the store each week. I just wait 6 months and get the next run. It is very nice to just the whole story without waiting each month.

Hell, the graphic novels have even seeped into the ACT/SAT test prep realm...

sweet! i'm an avid gamer, and the chance of having some really awesome music in games is always nice to hear - hope the rest of the sound-track is comprable w/ BG's addition. i haven't played the first Sacred game, but i'll have to look into it, as i'll definately be giving Sacred2 a run.

i have to agree that the title of this tread is misleading - didn't figure out what was being said 'till half-way thru the OP, but i can't say i was dissapointed. too bad i'm nowhere near that con, or i might have made some effort to go.

I really can't imagine how big the San Diego Comic Con must be, because New York Comic*Con was probably one of the largest crowds I've ever seen. o_O These cons, and Dragon*Con included, are getting my attention recently. I'm certain that is due to the expanding set of interests the cons cater to, so I'll be the first to stand up for them moving outside of comics.

I really can't imagine how big the San Diego Comic Con must be, because New York Comic*Con was probably one of the largest crowds I've ever seen. o_O These cons, and Dragon*Con included, are getting my attention recently. I'm certain that is due to the expanding set of interests the cons cater to, so I'll be the first to stand up for them moving outside of comics.

Whoa, hold on there.....let's not discard the comics part of cons now (especially those dubbed "Comics" cons). Dragon-con is mostly geared towards gaming, moreso than comics. Being that I work in comics (hence the forum name), I'm happy to see an upswing in interest for comics.
On topic.....there's probably a good chance that more people have played the game that BG is doing music for than those that bought their cds. This is a really good way for BG to spread the word about their music. Also, approximately 200,000 people attended Comicon this weekend. Good publicity for the band!

Whoa, hold on there.....let's not discard the comics part of cons now (especially those dubbed "Comics" cons). Dragon-con is mostly geared towards gaming, moreso than comics.

Nope, Dragon*Con has never been geared 'mostly' toward Gaming; at the height of Gaming's influence at D*C (c. 1987-1991), it may have accounted for one third of total attendance. Nowadays, 10% would be pushing it, and that would be including computer gaming and networked MMORPGs.

It's quite a mixed bag nowadays. I'd guesstimate that of the 40,000 or so in attendance:

• 30% are there for the marquee media guests (this year Heroes and Battlestar Galactica are most prominent), plus all the other TV and movie stuff
  • 10% are there purely for costuming
  • 10% are there for Gaming
  • 10% are there purely for literary interests
  • 10% are there for bands, music and performances
  • 10% are there for comics and pop art
  • 20% are there because, hell, even at $90 for 4 days it's like nothing else on Earth. :)
On topic.....there's probably a good chance that more people have played the game that BG is doing music for than those that bought their cds. This is a really good way for BG to spread the word about their music. Also, approximately 200,000 people attended Comicon this weekend. Good publicity for the band!

It is excellent publicity, but that attendance figure is a bit misleading. Comic-Con appears to count memberships as bodies/day (if you attend three days, you are counted 3 times). Dragon*Con counts each individual once.

Regardless, Comic-Con is THE biggest in the Western Hemisphere, but my vendor friends still prefer D*C. :)

after their first tour ever doing so well, im sure theyll be coming back regularly for albums now. maybe even just a "best of" type tour too. i heard no stop on their first in late 06 sold less than 50% of the tickets which is pretty good for a first time ever tour