Brief Coheed & Cambria - Avenged Sevenfold review..

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Since I know only a few on these boards enjoy these groups, I'll make it brief.

The first key to listening to these groups is to ignore their fan base. Plenty of scene kids, and dorks. But I love dorks.

Anyhow, I missed whoever was opening for them, and started off arriving during the first song of Coheed's set. From the beginning they bring a lot of energy to the show. I had never seen a picture of Coheed before, so seeing this big man with a big fro standing at the mic surprised me, especially knowing his voice. The entire set was good, played very well, and the sound there was great. You could actually hear them singing and what they were singing about. They played a variety of songs, from their newer prog metal/prog rock works, to their older more punk-rock driven sounds. The highlight of the night for me, was that Coheed ended the set with about a 12 minute instrumental. This instrumental was gorgeous. I never got bored. The lead singer is also the lead guitarist, and he had some awesome shreds that puts him up there with almost any prog/power metal group that we all love. The fans loved when he put the guitar behind his neck and did some super fast shredding. But their instrumentals wasn't just about fast solos, it was about their sound, from everybody, mixed together, with some ambience, but not too much to put you asleep, it constantly pulled you back into the song. Its nice to know that the fans all enjoyed it, considering the number there, and that people are ready to hear some really talented musicians, and some great guitar.

Avenged Sevenfold put on a high energetic show. The lead singer reminded me a bit of Anselmo (Pantera), at least the way he interacted with the audience. Overall they played their songs very solid, and a good mix from all of their albums, including both of their popular songs off of City of Evil. I was hopping they'd play Wicked Evil, a great prog track off the new album, but they didn't. Instead, Zak (their lead guitarist) came on stage for about a 4 minute solo. No drums, no bass, no rythm, just him. That takes guts. And he nailed it. He took a small break during it to pay tribute to Dimebag, and then he went back into it. He is very creative on the guitar, willing to substitute blazing speed for interesting sounds. But he also can play fast. He had a great-fast shred on the high frets of the guitar which almost blow your ears out, but he hit all the notes. Again, another guitarist that could stand up with the best of them in metal, and yet he is very young.

I encourage people to see both of these bands live if they get the chance. You might not like some of the songs they play, as they tilt more towards rock and sometimes hardcore, but Avenged Sevenfold leans heavily on Thrash instead of hardcore, and Coheed always has prog elements. Either way, once you ignore the idiots around you, and watching people walk out of the pit with a blood nose, busted up knee, or kicked forehead... if you like metal, you'll like the show.

I like both of those bands and I'd like to see them at some point. I generally like C&C, and think they are always improving, and I even like dude's voice. The vocals are what ground me for A7X. I respect what they are doing, and it's good to turn on contemporary rock radio and hear guitar solos, but I am not a fan of the singers clean vocals. But anyway, full speed ahead and I hope both groups continue growing in popularity.

Coheed is my favorite band, but unfortunately I had to skip this one. Oh well, I've seen them twice before. It sucks that you missed Head Automatica, though.

Ironic I stumble upon this thread while listening to Avenged Sevenfold. As with many bands with growing popularities, the key is truly to ignore the fan base. And of course in AS's case, ignoring their quick to conform image(s) too. I have been saying this back when they all sported the emo appeal. I remember when they couldn't sell out a shit bar, and now they sell the big clubs out within weeks. Because of this I unfortunately have never seen them live :(. It sounds like an awsome show.

As for Coheed, I hadn't finally heard them until last year, but have reading and seeing them around since the beginning. I didn't sit down and listen to them until someone posted a link here on this forum. That Welcome Home song is very fucking good, and from what I have heard from other songs on the album, IV seems to be a step in the right direction. A friend/co-worker put their first album on at work about a month ago and I wasn't liking it at all. I really wanted to see this show, 1. to finally see Avenged and 2. to be able to watch and observe Coheed. The tour didn't even come close to here. Oh well. Helloween sure is!! Cheers! :)

The only track that I have heard that I like from Coheed is Welcome Home and that is truly solid track, but The Suffering makes me wanna murder the band for writing such a god awful piece of garbage.

AX7 I really like them. They put on a great performance and they do an excellent cover of Pantera's Walk. I wish that all those stupid hardcore kids didnt like them though.

Very interesting that so many people here dig A7X. I am extremely indifferent about them, but its cool that you are all open to other genres.

What surprises me though is that I always viewed this band as another one of the suburban pop punk bands with 15 year old fans. They used to be on a crappy pop punk label (Hopeless Records).

What I don't respect at ALL about this band is the claims they have been making in the media about how they were always a "heavy metal" band through and through. This is a complete falacy. They are in no stretch of the imagination a "heavy metal" band.

Jasonic said:
Very interesting that so many people here dig A7X. I am extremely indifferent about them, but its cool that you are all open to other genres.

What surprises me though is that I always viewed this band as another one of the suburban pop punk bands with 15 year old fans. They used to be on a crappy pop punk label (Hopeless Records).

What I don't respect at ALL about this band is the claims they have been making in the media about how they were always a "heavy metal" band through and through. This is a complete falacy. They are in no stretch of the imagination a "heavy metal" band.

A7X's first two albums I'd classify as a mix of Metal & Metalcore. City of Evil, is purely Metal to me. Listen to tracks like "Wicked Evil" if you need any other proof.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
but The Suffering makes me wanna murder the band for writing such a god awful piece of garbage.

Ha! I think that's the most awesomest song I heard all of last year! Overall the album is a little uneven, but if they can write a monster hook like that, they've got my mad respect even if the rest of the album was complete garbage. Don't be a hater just because your secret overpowering love for the song makes you feel like a little girl inside. No need to act tough and pretend you can't stand it. It's OK! Rejoice in it! We won't laugh, really!

skyrefuge said:
Ha! I think that's the most awesomest song I heard all of last year! Overall the album is a little uneven, but if they can write a monster hook like that, they've got my mad respect even if the rest of the album was complete garbage. Don't be a hater just because your secret overpowering love for the song makes you feel like a little girl inside. No need to act tough and pretend you can't stand it. It's OK! Rejoice in it! We won't laugh, really!

Oh Christ!!

:puke: "The Suffering"

skyrefuge said:
but if they can write a monster hook like that, they've got my mad respect

Yeah, I'll add to the piles of puke by admitting that I really liked this song, too...then again, I also think that Rick Springfield is a brilliant pop songwriter.

I've heard of these bands, but I've never listened to their music, so I'm clueless! I've heard one Coheed song from a sampler disc and it sounded very EMO/mainstream punk to me. Maybe that was one of their older songs or something.

edgeofthorns, Coheed does have a few pop-punkish songs, but in the context of the album, they're great. Those are just what they use as singles. If you want to hear some good songs by them, check out:

The Crowing
Welcome Home
Everything Evil
In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial) (this song is a little more upbeat, but it has a very strong Maiden influence. Claudio, the singer, said that this is basically their Iron Maiden tribute song).