Disturbed/Avenged Sevenfold Concert

You've undoubtedly earned the title of "The Cool Dad" among your kid's friends.

Not really.

A "cool" dad would be my friend Marc's dad who in 1988 took Marc and myself to the ARAGON BALLROOM in Chicago to see:
ANTHRAX
HELLOWEEN
EXODUS

Though I suppose we run in different circles if you find anything "cool" (other than detention ridden Hot Topic loser sense of cool) about the epitome of all that is false in music in A7X and Shitsturbed.

+1000

It's too bad nowadays, they're pretty much tied down to playing mediocre state fairs and such. BOC that is of course.

I was not able to make their set at Naperville Ribfest this summer.
They seem to hit that up every other year.
Hopefully soon I can make it out.
I would like to see them at least once!!!

Though I suppose we run in different circles if you find anything "cool" (other than detention ridden Hot Topic loser sense of cool) about the epitome of all that is false in music in A7X and Shitsturbed.

"Epitome of all that is false in music"? Wtf does that even mean?

Avenged Sevenfold are talented songwriters, and their guitarists stack up quite well against the standard Euro power/speed metal band standard. They clearly have been influenced by the likes of Maiden and Helloween, and I say more power to any band that can take those influences and bring the music to a different audience.

I honestly believe that if they had long hair and were from Sweden and put out the exact same album, half of this board would need a tissue after talking about how great they were and when-is-Glenn-going-to-book-these-guys?

Not really.

A "cool" dad would be my friend Marc's dad who in 1988 took Marc and myself to the ARAGON BALLROOM in Chicago to see:
ANTHRAX
HELLOWEEN
EXODUS

I bet back when your friend's dad took the both of you to that show there were people that thought Anthrax, Helloween, and Exodus were terrible too. It's just a difference in eras my friend.

~Brian~

I was not able to make their set at Naperville Ribfest this summer.
They seem to hit that up every other year.
Hopefully soon I can make it out.
I would like to see them at least once!!!

For sure. I wanted to go as well, but if I remember correctly I too had something that got in the way of that. Definitely would like to see them once.

Hey, there's no accounting for taste right??? :)

Look, A7X went through all the fuckin' trends before they came to be the band some of you think were influenced by Helloween.
They were a harder pop punk band at first, then they did the whole "Wanna be AFI goth-punk thing", and then now do the half-GnR / half metal thing.

It's called riding the trend.

Same reason why bands like Killswitch Engage are false.
They too originated in the hardcore scene, but in the wake of Ozzfest's popularity claim their roots are in metal and go as far as to bastardize a DIO classic, claiming him to be a major influence.

At least some bands who cross over genres don't hide their roots (IE - Hatebreed, who NEVER deny their hardcore roots, though fit in with the Ozzfest crowd).

So this is what I mean by "false" metal.
Zero credibility.

Though, on the flipside, it's music and it's entertainment.
If you like the tunes, then that's all that should matter.
Just so happens that I think A7X and Disturbed blow, but that's even regardless of what I think of their credibility.

I bet back when your friend's dad took the both of you to that show there were people that thought Anthrax, Helloween, and Exodus were terrible too. It's just a difference in eras my friend.

~Brian~

Sorry, I have to disagree.
There was NEVER a question of doubt about the credibility of Anthrax, Exodus, or Helloween. Sure, some of the more hardcore thrash fans thought Anthrax were a bit cartoonish, as opposed to Celtic Frost, Venom, and Possessed, but they still always had a ton of credibility, and wrote some of the best cross-over mosh-ready thrash of all time.

Just my opinion of course.

Ok, I am done.

There are plenty of you who are fans of both A7X and Disturbed, so I turn this back over you to discuss this show.

Look, A7X went through all the fuckin' trends before they came to be the band some of you think were influenced by Helloween.
They were a harder pop punk band at first, then they did the whole "Wanna be AFI goth-punk thing", and then now do the half-GnR / half metal thing.

They too originated in the hardcore scene, but in the wake of Ozzfest's popularity claim their roots are in metal and go as far as to bastardize a DIO classic, claiming him to be a major influence.

At least some bands who cross over genres don't hide their roots (IE - Hatebreed, who NEVER deny their hardcore roots, though fit in with the Ozzfest crowd).

Zero credibility.

Just so happens that I think A7X and Disturbed blow, but that's even regardless of what I think of their credibility.

I'm not defending Killswitch as I don't like their music, but they did not originate in the hardcore scene. They've always been a metalcore band. Whether hardcore kids liked their music or not is one thing, but to blame that on the band is wrong. Hardcore kids have always liked metalcore whether it's Shai Hulud, Poison the Well, or Earth Crisis. Can't blame the band for the fan base that latches onto them.

I also don't think it's quite fair to accuse Avenged Sevenfold of "trendhopping." Again, I'm not defending them either as I think they're even worse than Killswitch, but they were never a pop-punk band, wtf. They did metalcore and then did their City of Evil sound-onward.

Speaking of lasers. Remember when some planetariums used to do those Pink Floyd nights, or maybe just a collection of rock all set to lasers. Maybe some still do, but all the ones I have gone to over the years quit doing it.

Zero credibility.

DISTURBED= NU METAL BULLSHIT:Spin: Can't believe they made it out of the 90's let alone still around.

Speaking of lasers. Remember when some planetariums used to do those Pink Floyd nights, or maybe just a collection of rock all set to lasers. Maybe some still do, but all the ones I have gone to over the years quit doing it.

Here in Atlanta, they used to have those at the Fernbank Science Center Planetarium -- LaserDrive, then LaserFloyd (just what you'd expect from the name :)), and then I remember the last one was LaserAtlanta.
The first one was a religious experience for me and defined my taste for "good" music for many years: Rush, Pink Floyd.....Billy Thorpe's "Children of the Sun".... (!)

I think the best lazers were at the Tool concert I went to in San Francisco! Its cool when they're inside with all the smoke / mist / sweat lol.