CD Stores...

Heavenly Call

Jul 30, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.myspace.com
Okay, I know of Impulse and I am JAZZED about that trip.

Where else must one go in the Chicago area for good CD shopping? I will have a car so anywhere within a 90 minute drive is cool with me.

Got some great help last year regarding Philadelphia so I'm sure you guys can do it again....

Heavenly Call said:
Okay, I know of Impulse and I am JAZZED about that trip.

Where else must one go in the Chicago area for good CD shopping? I will have a car so anywhere within a 90 minute drive is cool with me.

Got some great help last year regarding Philadelphia so I'm sure you guys can do it again....

There is a store called Metal Haven in the downtown area of Chicago. The main streets you are looking for are Clark and Belmont. The address is 604 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL. It's about 5 blocks east of clark and belmont I believe. (773) 755-9202 is the phone number. www.metalhavenchicago.com is the website if you wanna check it out. Whatever you want to buy will be at this store. Impulse music is a fucking great store also. I think you only need to know about those two stores to fulfill your metal shopping experience in chicago.

I usually make the yearly pilgrimage to Impulse (especially if there's a signing there), but I've been finding less and less worth buying there every time I go. Regarding Metal Haven... being that it's downtown, is there a free parking lot, or does one need to find a garage? And, do they have a wider selection than Impulse? (It seems like Impulse specializes solely in melodic metal, whereas my tastes nowadays tend more toward the doom, thrash, and extreme genres.) And do they have a used section?

There's also S&J Stereo in Highland, Indiana - right across the state line. If the traffic gods are with you, it's no more than 20-30 minutes away. The selection there isn't comprehensive, but there are nice surprises in their inventory, particularly with used discs. They also sell vinyl and t-shirts. I led expeditions there last year and much money was spent :)

Ken

booB said:
I usually make the yearly pilgrimage to Impulse (especially if there's a signing there), but I've been finding less and less worth buying there every time I go. Regarding Metal Haven... being that it's downtown, is there a free parking lot, or does one need to find a garage? And, do they have a wider selection than Impulse? (It seems like Impulse specializes solely in melodic metal, whereas my tastes nowadays tend more toward the doom, thrash, and extreme genres.) And do they have a used section?

Metal Haven does have free parking on the street, that is if you are lucky enough to find it. There are parking garages a couple of blocks away for like $15-$20 for a couple of hours I think. I haven't been in that area in a while so I'm not sure if those rates are correct or not. Metal Haven has every genre of metal, not just melodic or power metal. You can find almost every extreme metal band's collection at MH. They also have a used section. They also sell shirts, DVD's, and vinyl.

Anyone ever order from/go to Discount Records? I saw an ad for them in the Illinois Entertainer a month or so ago. Midlothian, Matteson and somewhere else. What caught my eye was all their new releases -- from labels like CM/NBA, Candelight, etc. -- were priced out at $8.88 or $9.88... which is actually rather damn shocking...

KaptainKrude said:
Anyone ever order from/go to Discount Records? I saw an ad for them in the Illinois Entertainer a month or so ago. Midlothian, Matteson and somewhere else.

I've never shopped there, but the last I knew, Met-Al (who posts on the the ProgPower forum occasionally) works at the Midlothain store. Maybe he can give some pointers / suggestions as to whether it's worth a trip! I'll drop him a PM so he knows this came up.

Ken

It seems like I remember a classic rock/hippie kind of store somewhere downtown as well when I was there 3 years ago...very colorful with big pictures of passed celebrities? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Check out Rolling Stones in Norridge. They have a good selection of metal mixed in with everything else (mostly from the major underground metal labels) . They have coupons in the Illinois Entertainer.

Haven is great, but too much emphasis on death and black.

Impulse would appeal to most who would be interested in Chicago Powerfest.

booB said:

They do have used stuff, and a lot of odd stock regardless - I got Mystic Force's "A Step Beyond" there last year, for example. Parking's a bit of a bear, but John and I are planning another run this year, to see if Mosquito can buy some more crappy sounding Root demos. :lol:

Hi, all!
Thanks for mentioning my place of work, metalprof. Unfortunately, that whole deal with all of the Century Media, Nuclear Blast, and Candlelight stuff is over. It's a shame, too, because it could have been something to keep customers coming in, provided that we gave it time to catch on. I work at the Midlothian store, but there's also one in Matteson and one in Frankfort. The Matteson one is closest to the venue, but they have the weakest staff. I would tell everyone to come out to my store on either of the days of the fest, but I won't be there because of the fest. Chances are that I'll be there the day after the fest, seeing as how I'm always scheduled to work Sundays, so if anybody's actually around and/or awake then, feel free to stop on by. Our selection sucks, but I guarantee that it'll be one of the only times you walk into a music store and hear something you actually like. If you have transportation, Impulse is the way to go. Just don't expect a huge sign telling you where the place is. Metal Haven's okay, but they cater more to the Prosthetic Cunt fans. The parking there blows, too. That's my two cents.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

KaptainKrude said:
Eh, he was a douche bag anyway. ;)

:D

Yeah he was, but he sucked because he didn't agree 100% with what all the customers said so they just would leave all pissed off because he ruined their day.:loco:

KaptainKrude said:
I can't go in there anymore 'cause you're not there to laugh when I make fun of the Hammerfall kiddies.

Trust me, there were much more laughable targets than your average Hammerfall fan (it's true!)

Like those who thought the new Jaded Heart and Wildside were riveting pieces of musical accomplishments.:lol: