Changing musical tastes

Rosskel

Jul 1, 2004
I'm interested to hear what other music people listen to.

I was a massive thrash fan from 1987-1991, but really struggled with my changing tastes and identity in the early 90s. Metal had started to seem silly. No metal bands were speaking to me and I began to immerse myself in music with more dimensions. Now when I listen to metal it's with the hindsight of nostalgia (with Voivod being a notable exception - I still get something from them). I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience.

It's not that I look down on metal, it's just that it's only an aspect of my tastes now, it's not 'who I am' anymore. My younger friends still play me bands that I 'should' like; Tool being one. I hear what's good about it, but I can't get into it. Is metal a young mans game? Are all those bands faking it? Avocado.

For anyone with XM radio I find myself listening way more to Octane than Liquid Metal nowadays although I toggle between the two. Octane generally being radio-friendly hard rock. Metal with all screaming doesn't really do it for me much now either. I got into metal when I heard thrash as a kid and I still love that today, undecipherable screaming all the way through just doesn't connect with me even though the killer riffs still do. A good example is Slipknot's new stuff, yes I like it and yes it's super-heavy but I still prefer Stone Sour...I just bought Trivium's new album today, haven't put it on yet but that's kind of where my tastes are now. So I understand what you mean but I can still put on some Revocation or new Cannibal Corpse and love it!

Tastes def change as I got older,mainly listen to kid rock,Cinderella,tom keifer,Adler,def leppard,David allan coe,darius rucker,back in the day all I would listen to was metal,anthrax exodus were in constant rotation almost,testament were pretty high,I was a late starter when it came to pantera and I pretty much listened to them them over the years,well them and bls...there hasn't been a new metal back since slipknot that has interested me,same goes for my guitar playing,maybe that's influenced me too but I. More a rock blues player now,metal gets old and boring.

For anyone with XM radio I find myself listening way more to Octane than Liquid Metal nowadays although I toggle between the two. Octane generally being radio-friendly hard rock. Metal with all screaming doesn't really do it for me much now either. I got into metal when I heard thrash as a kid and I still love that today, undecipherable screaming all the way through just doesn't connect with me even though the killer riffs still do. A good example is Slipknot's new stuff, yes I like it and yes it's super-heavy but I still prefer Stone Sour...I just bought Trivium's new album today, haven't put it on yet but that's kind of where my tastes are now. So I understand what you mean but I can still put on some Revocation or new Cannibal Corpse and love it!

Trivium's Ascendancy & The Crusade are killer albums, been listening to those lately, about to hear the rest of their 2 newest albums.

My musical tastes are kind of all over the board. I saw Pearl Jam last night and my next concert is King Diamond on Tuesday. I never believed that I could only like metal or only like whatever. If I like it, that's always been good enough for me. Fuck anyone else's preconceived notions about what I should like. Same goes for everything else in life too. I don't give a shit if other people like anything about me. Fuck them. I'm not in high school.

Ok, this turned into a rant...:loco:

My musical tastes are kind of all over the board. I saw Pearl Jam last night and my next concert is King Diamond on Tuesday. I never believed that I could only like metal or only like whatever. If I like it, that's always been good enough for me. Fuck anyone else's preconceived notions about what I should like. Same goes for everything else in life too. I don't give a shit if other people like anything about me. Fuck them. I'm not in high school.

Ok, this turned into a rant...:loco:
Preach it Mikey! I saw Pearl Jam on the Vs. tour a couple of years ago:loco:I think it was my second concert I still love that band. Although I've seen Anthrax live 15 times I've seen Jimmy Buffett as many times as I've seen Ozzy (4). That's pretty much one end of the spectrum to the other. I was told that I really enjoyed the last Buffett concert.

Preach it Mikey! I saw Pearl Jam on the Vs. tour a couple of years ago:loco:I think it was my second concert I still love that band. Although I've seen Anthrax live 15 times I've seen Jimmy Buffett as many times as I've seen Ozzy (4). That's pretty much one end of the spectrum to the other. I was told that I really enjoyed the last Buffett concert.

I really never got into Buffett, but his fans look like they're having a blast! Good for them!:kickass:

I saw Pearl Jam just before VS came out. Slane Castle in Ireland. Rear. View. Mirror.

Also playing? Neil Young. Van Morrison.

Alas, we had to sit through Four Non Blondes. Just awful.

Trivium's Ascendancy & The Crusade are killer albums, been listening to those lately, about to hear the rest of their 2 newest albums.
I definitely love the new album, the guitar work is INSANE! Great mixture of screaming and singing, that's what I like nowadays. I love Ascendancy, they were just kids here in Orlando when they recorded that. Crusade got some flack for trying too hard to sound like Metallica but I think they really found their own after that. Cool moment for me: Corey and Travis came to my band's show just to see us, I got to perform in front of them in a dive bar lol! It's a long story we were friends with Travis' brother and he brought them out yadda yadda anyway they were super-nice and fun to hang out with!

I saw Pearl Jam just before VS came out. Slane Castle in Ireland. Rear. View. Mirror.

Also playing? Neil Young. Van Morrison.

Alas, we had to sit through Four Non Blondes. Just awful.

Four Non Blondes? Small price to pay for Pearl Jam and Neil Young.:kickass:

My tastes have changed somewhat but it seems to be mood dependent. And since i'm working a full time and part time job plus volunteering between two different functions weekly I am forever turned on to metal.

A couple of tracks from Amon Amarth, then lots of Rebellion, Iced Earth, also Powerglove with their Saturday morning cartoon metal instrumentals, and then last night I heard this Japanese 8-bit sounding Animatronics or something like that named metal band while I was driving and started cracking up laughing.

I mean musically I just found it absolutely hilarious.

When i just want to zone out, I listen to Earthless and all that slow instrumental thick metal that plays for 20 - 30 minutes a track where time just kind of gets away from you. I also listen to classic outlaw country as well sometimes.

I just know I like what I like, and that my tastes are completely different from anyone I know :D.

I guess my tastes have always been quite eclectic and as such it's the odd connections that are interesting: Slayer's atonal solos and Albert Ayler or Peter Brotzmann free jazz, The Berzerker's use of drum machines and Conlon Nancarrow's player piano pieces, both using the machine to do what the human can't.

I gotta say, I was raised with mostly country...and Elvis.

Over the years, I found I can listen to just about anything, as LONG as it is legit. Love Rodney Crowell, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Slayer, Judas Priest, Armored Saint.

If it's real musicians and they are honest I can get down with that, Can't stand pop (at least in the last 20 or so years). But what the heck? Just saw Fleetwood Mac...great show...sounded awesome. But you can tell, just a "greatest hits" type thing. I appreciate a band like Maiden, who will still go out and play a tour playing their latest.