Death Magnetic or The Black album?

I personally like the black album, but that was the first album I heard from Metallica back in 6th grade and the first cassette I ever bought(that and alice in chains), but my first cd was ...and justice for all. So, I started with the black album and worked my way back, but have never really worked my way forward, but I do like a few songs from load, but nothing else, including DM have really drawn me in. As I have stated before numerous times, my biggest gripe with Metallica these days is that Lars has just devolved as a drummer and I just can't stand to hear him play anymore; his playing just annoys me and bothers me, especially when the music could be helped out with a better drummer(Lars is the weakest link).

I bought the disc from Wal-Mart when it came out on Friday and I've been spinning it ever since. Quite frankly, I think it's a very good offering. They're not breaking any new ground by any means, but I'm not looking for them to at this point. My favorite tallica albums are from Justice on back. With that said, Death Magnetic is pleasing for me to hear considering I've been listening to the band for 20 years now. I don't care for either of the Load albums and I never even gave St. Anger a fair shake, considering all the negative reviews it received. At least Death Magnetic is a good metal album from a band I pretty much had given up on sometime back. :kickass:

~Brian~

I remember the most glorious day of picking up TBA and then seeing Double Impact (Jean Claude Van Damme) on the big screen.
:headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

I am still awaiting DM in the mail, as I got it as part of the radio presale ticket package.
Personally, I think TBA is a great album.
Unfortunately, aside from The Unforgiven, they released the worst songs as singles.

Fucking stop accepting mediocrity!!!! Goddamnit everyone, fuck accepting something just because it's metallica. Fuck them, they can't write songs anymore. Yes, they have some ok riffs, but their songs are poorly assembles and just fucking......

i just listened to unforgiven III and i honestly almost cried because i longed for fucking UNFORGIVEN II!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with you fuckers who even try to put stock into this shit. Fuck you. I'm going to listen to Metalucifer because that cheesy bastard is more legitimate than metallica will ever be ever again.

Fucking stop accepting mediocrity!!!! Goddamnit everyone, fuck accepting something just because it's metallica. Fuck them, they can't write songs anymore. Yes, they have some ok riffs, but their songs are poorly assembles and just fucking......

i just listened to unforgiven III and i honestly almost cried because i longed for fucking UNFORGIVEN II!!!!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with you fuckers who even try to put stock into this shit. Fuck you. I'm going to listen to Metalucifer because that cheesy bastard is more legitimate than metallica will ever be ever again.

Well, I kinda like the new one....at least I thought I did. But now I know I'm just a stupid "fucker" that has no right to an opinion. I'm mostly an observer on this forum, but after not one, but TWO posts stating how horrible we are for even having this discussion, I felt the need to say something.

Well, I kinda like the new one....at least I thought I did. But now I know I'm just a stupid "fucker" that has no right to an opinion. I'm mostly an observer on this forum, but after not one, but TWO posts stating how horrible we are for even having this discussion, I felt the need to say something.

Well said.
I don't care for TBA and have no desire to run out and buy DM, but I am also not going to bash anyone on an open forum because of their opinion.

my biggest gripe with Metallica these days is that Lars has just devolved as a drummer and I just can't stand to hear him play anymore; his playing just annoys me and bothers me, especially when the music could be helped out with a better drummer(Lars is the weakest link).
Couldn't have said it better! Since Lar's name is on the contract that basically owns "Metallica," that pretty much ensures that the other guys will never kick him out of the band, no matter how much he continues to be just a mediocre drummer. It also shows how much they have all invested in "Metallica" as a brand that sells itself, rather than investing faith in their own abilities to write good music.

I've stopped blaming the band ... now I just blame Lars. He has stopped growing as a drummer and therefore the band as a whole cannot grow any further. The rest of the band could probably produce something as magical as Justice or Master again in the future with the cooperation from a stronger drummer. But as long as they choose to hold on to Lars, I truly believe that he will be what continues to hold Metallica back from regaining the fans that have faded from them over the years.

While I'd have to say that Death Magnetic is significantly better than anything Metallica has put out since the Black Album, I certainly don't like it as much as the Black Album. I'll admit that I liked a fair amount of the material off of Load and Reload, though I never really cared for St. Anger. DM shows significant progress from St. Anger, but I don't find it to be anything majorly impressive. I have heard a lot of folks compare it to Justice though.

Doomsday, if I'm not mistaking, you actually like Warbringer, correct? If so, how in the hell is that good song writing? If you don't like DM, then don't listen to it. (shrugs)

~Brian~

Please...don't ever compare Metallica's output in over the past 20 years to Warbringer. That band actually has potential and is fun to listen to.