Deciding Factors to go to ProgPower

Being lucky enough to have gone to the first one and met the core of indivduals that became great friends and the caliber of musicians and as many have said as long as Glenn does Prog Power USA I will be there. Not with bells on though, I'll leave that to the chickies
sasmokin.gif

Bear

I attended PP2 and PP3, and it was really great to see US Metal Festival run that well. I like the idea of the festival only having 5 bands per night (which is perfect). Other festivals here in the US just cram 100 bands into 2 or 3 days and the bands play 20 min. each. What kind of show is that... Anyway, after reading all of the great posts from the good time had by all at PP5, I am hoping to return to Atlanta for PP6 this year...

I'll probably be there this year, but it becomes mandatory if one of the following bands are selected:

Threshold, Sonata Arctica, Angra, Blind Guardian, Symphony X, Nightwish...

I'd go if theres a band I really like on the bill that a) I haven't seen yet or b) I've seen maybe once or twice before and want to see again.

Last year it was enough for me to see Adagio and Edguy, who I never saw before (and wound up seeing Edguy twice because I went to the NYC show as well). However, a band like Symphony X is no longer a major draw for me because I've seen them 8 times and I know they tour regularly anyway. But if someone like say, GAMMA RAY (HINT HINT HINT) was playing as well as SymX, the combined draw would be enough for me to go.

I never heard of PP before PPIII. I went because of the amazing line up, and I really hemmed and hawed because of the amount of money for "just a concert". I was blown away by how well done the entire show was, and how much I liked the "new" (to me) music.

That got me to PPIV, and after that I got a gold badge, and will attend every PP that comes along. I've learned of a lot of new bands from PP, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

DarkOne

Pellaz said:
I make plans for ProgPower every year because I trust Glenn to produce a well-managed, technically near-flawless show with a decent variety of bands, many of whom are either making US debuts or are playing rare shows. Even with bands whose material I don't know all that well, my tastes are diverse enough that I'll enjoy almost anyone when presented in Earthlink Live's setting (among the best in the Southeast for a concert).

That sums up my feelings as well. It is just a really well-run, laid back and fun time.

Derek

I've been going to ProgPower USA from the beginning. Before that, I was attending the Powermad fest in Baltimore (I made it to the last three). The first time I went to Powermad, I seriously underestimated my funds, lived off of two very small meals for the entire weekend, and came back home with 75 cents in my pocket. I told that story to say this: no matter what my financial situation, I will support metal to the fullest of my ability. That's one of the reasons why I support ProgPower. In addition, the show gives me the opportunity to see bands I would never/rarely get to see in a live setting, not to mention a truly professional live setting. If I don't already know the bands that are playing each year, I'm turned onto something new. Also, I get the chance to meet the musicians who make the music that gets me through my daily routine, makes me think, and/or makes me connect with a particular feeling or period of my life. Finally, the show is a means of meeting like-minded music fans who listen to what lies beyond what the corporate media attempts to shove into their ears. For these reasons, the show is priceless to me. You simply can't get all of these benefits from any other music festival in this country. I think that covers it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Me and my wife have went the last two years and we plan on going from now on. We have had a great time both years and I didn't even know most of the bands. My wife didn't really know any of them except savatage and maybe Symphony X. This festival has helped me get into alot of newer bands I never listened to before. It's run great, in a perfect venue, with awesome sound, and plenty of interaction with the bands. It would take something major for us to miss any future ProgPowers. Last year, my father passed away just a couple weeks before the show and it really helped me to get my head together and have a good time with some great music. I also got to hang with some cool people. :cool:

Our group decided to go every year just ot have a yearly vacation, enjoy some great music, good people and cold beers. We've been attending since III and have been badge members since IV.

Band-wise I liked 5/10 bands at III (recently 6/10), 9/10 at IV and 9/10 at 5 with myself thinking Adagio was boring live, but I like their albums.

No matter who is playing, we will pre-pay our badge fees every year because Glenn's odds are favorable for booking bands that my friends and I will enjoy or are already fans of.

I go regardless of who the bands are. The people, the event, the vacation, the partying, the CD shopping, etc. etc. etc. are all part of it. That being said, I have confidence that Glenn will always put together a quality line-up.

Zod

I go because it's a "way of life" for me at this point. I can never imagine a year without Progpower. I have utmost trust in Glenn's decisions for bands. Plus, being this will be the 6th one I attend, seeing everyone is like a family reunion.

Met-Al said:
I've been going to ProgPower USA from the beginning. Before that, I was attending the Powermad fest in Baltimore (I made it to the last three).
Same here, and I will keep going as long as the shows keep happening. Glenn runs a top-notch festival and every year has been an amazing experience. It's not just the bands, it's the atmosphere - nowhere else have I felt such positive energy from so many people. It's become a huge family reunion, and every year I add more to my tree. I just wish it was longer so I could spend more time catching up with everyone!
Very much looking forward to another kickass time this year. :headbang:

Alicia

My husband and I have gone the last two years- before that, we never knew the festival existed. It was only after going to the first BWBK one that we were made aware of this whole other life... We ended up lucking out and buying 2 gold badges at the last minute (July) and we have never looked back since. Cost is never a factor- you have 12 months to save up for it!
The people we have met are truly amazing and I can call most of them "good friends" even though I only see them once a year. Atlanta is a great city to visit to top it off! This is the only type of festival where the fans can actually meet their idols and talk to them without being assaulted by security guards!
And to see my husband so happy because he finally gets to see bands he idolizes and grew up with is worth the price. So, thank you Glenn- you're the best!

General Zod said:
I go regardless of who the bands are. The people, the event, the vacation, the partying, the CD shopping, etc. etc. etc. are all part of it. That being said, I have confidence that Glenn will always put together a quality line-up.

Zod
I couldn't have typed a better response myself. I went to PP1, then missed the next 3 for financial or family reasons, but after going last year I will not miss another. I had WAY more fun last year than at the first one. I would have to entirely hate every band that plays and that would be near impossible.

I went to progpower 2 years ago partly for various bands but I also wanted to see what the experience was like as I have been to various fests both in US and overseas and wanted to see how it compared.

Last year, I went specifically for the bands as in my head, I couldn't have picked a better lineup as had been huge fans or just getting into most of the bands selected.

Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to have the funds this year as there are a few fest trips I am planning on.