Did you watch the Mercenary video?

that is true.. I think Mercenary is kinda original in the fact that they have 2 vocalists using those 2 styles. I heard it a bit by a band called GARDENIAN on an album called Soulburner, I liked that as well, but I hear that the 2nd album didn't do anything like the 1st, so I neglected to pick it up. I have yet to find any soundclips from it either.

Progressive, i guess, would be anything deviated from what is considered 'normal'. That's the interpretation I get from what people say in this forum. I can't get into it too much, but I give everything a fair chance. Pagan's Mind I kinda like and depending on their performance, I may find myself picking up an album. Spiral Architecht I 100% hated. Too much happening in the music. To me, it sounded like each musician went off in their own little world while someone in the booth hit record. Sure, they're talented, but I like songs, not calculus. Dream Theatre, I really don't care for.. I can handle listening to them because they actually write good songs, but the length of the songs I've heard kinda get on my nerves. Sure, I'm up for a good opus every now and then... but not every other tune (and I AM exaggerating - but only because most of the DT stuff I've heard is extremely long).

Meshuggah I consider progressive metal as well.. I like them alot. There's a lot of intricate things going on in their material (also, no opuses). You may all brand me the traitor cos they played Ozfest - but YAHOO to Meshuggah for getting exposure of that magnitude in this country.

Creeps said:
that is true.. I think Mercenary is kinda original in the fact that they have 2 vocalists using those 2 styles. I heard it a bit by a band called GARDENIAN on an album called Soulburner, I liked that as well, but I hear that the 2nd album didn't do anything like the 1st, so I neglected to pick it up. I have yet to find any soundclips from it either.

Soulburner was Gardenian's second album... Two Feet Stand was their first and was more standard Gothenburgy death kinda stuff.

Soulburner's clean vocalist was a guest in the studio, Erik Hawk of Artch fame, not a member of the band.

Here's a list of bands with personal work... with recommended albums, hehe, and outside of conventional genres as well...

Aesma Daeva- The Eros of Frigid Beauty
Amorphis- Elegy
Angizia- (any)
Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale
Armageddon- Three
Atheist- Elements
Atrox- Contentum
Bal-Sagoth- Battle Magic
Believer- Dimensions
Blind Guardian- ANatO
Borknagar- Empiricism
Brave- Waist Deep in Dark Waters
Cea Serin- (any)
Cruachan- Tuastha Na Gael
Dead Silent Slumber- Entombed...
Death Organ- Universal Stripsearch
Devil Doll- Dies Irae
Diabolical Masquerade- Nightwork
Dickinson, Bruce- Chemical Wedding
Disharmonic Orchestra- (any)
Dornenreich- Latest (these damned Austrians...)
Ebony Lake- On the Eve of the Grimly Inventive
Edenrot- The Land Where the Crow Starves
Edge of Sanity- Crimson
Elvenking- Heathenreel
Emperor- Prometheus...
Enslaved- Monumension
Ephel Duath- Phormula
Esoteric- Metamorphogenesis
Fleurety- Min Tid Skal Komme
Flowing Tears- Serpentine
Forgotten Silence- Senyaan
Garden of Shadows- Oracle Moon
Gorguts- Obscura
Green Carnation- Light of Day...
Hammers of Misfortune- THe Bastard
Havayoth- His Creation Reversed
Hematovore- Out For Blood
Holocaust- The Courage to Be
In the Woods- Omnio
Korovakill- Waterhells
Lilitu- The Earth Gods
Limbonic Art- Moon in the Scorpio
Love History- Anasazi
Madder Mortem- All Flesh is Grass
Maudlin of the Well- (any)
Meads of Asphodel, The- The Excommunication of Christ
Mid Autumn Nights- And I Entitled It A Dirge
Novembre- Novembrine Waltz
OLD- Musical Dimensions of Sleastak
Orphaned Land- El Norra Alila
Oxiplegatz- Sidereal Journey
Pan-Thy-Monium- (any)
Ram-Zet- Escape
Renaissance- The Death of Art
Septic Flesh- Ophidian Wheel
Sigh- Imaginary Sonicscape
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum- Grand Opening and Closing
Solefald- (any)
Swanö, Dan- Moontower
Therion- Theli
Townsend, Devin- Infinity
Ulver- (any)
Ved Buens Ende- Written in Waters
Vintersorg- Visions From the Spiral Generator
Virgin Black- Sombre Romantic

Whew! I've heard a total of one album on that list, A Night at the Opera. Good to see it on there - I've heard a lot of flack directed at the album, while I thought it was a great, original piece of power metal.

I know cookie monster vocals scare off tons of people, and they use to scare me off as well. I use to be like, this music is awful and the vocals justespecially killed it. There are 2 cds that convertedme over, even though it took tim, and those cds are Borknagar - Empricism, and Children of Bodom - Follw the Reaper. I listen to everyhing from heavenly, gamma ray, eduy, freedom call, helloween, hammerfall, lost horizon, pain of salvation, and all that prog and power metal stuff and I enjoy it all. Now I also listen to soilwok, in flames, arch enemy, immortal, dimmu borgir, old man's child, mercenary, vintersorg,opeth, dark tranquility, death, carcass, and everything. It took a while for the death/black stuff to set in, bt once you get use to the vocals, you start to like them and te muic is just so awesome then. You just have to give it more of a chance tha you already are, it isn't one of those overnight changes in opinion and taste. Just go get borknagar- empiricism, and children of bodom cd, a dimmu borgir cd, and arch enemy - wages of sin, and give them a shot.

rushzil2112 said:
I know cookie monster vocals scare off tons of people, and they use to scare me off as well. I use to be like, this music is awful and the vocals justespecially killed it. There are 2 cds that convertedme over, even though it took tim, and those cds are Borknagar - Empricism, and Children of Bodom - Follw the Reaper. I listen to everyhing from heavenly, gamma ray, eduy, freedom call, helloween, hammerfall, lost horizon, pain of salvation, and all that prog and power metal stuff and I enjoy it all. Now I also listen to soilwok, in flames, arch enemy, immortal, dimmu borgir, old man's child, mercenary, vintersorg,opeth, dark tranquility, death, carcass, and everything. It took a while for the death/black stuff to set in, bt once you get use to the vocals, you start to like them and te muic is just so awesome then. You just have to give it more of a chance tha you already are, it isn't one of those overnight changes in opinion and taste. Just go get borknagar- empiricism, and children of bodom cd, a dimmu borgir cd, and arch enemy - wages of sin, and give them a shot.

You may be right, but the problem is that I have so much shit already (prog and power), that I don't have the time to try and delve into a style that I know I don't like. Even in the prog, power metal genre, I have really high standards these days since so many bands are out there. I know it might not be fair to the band, but if it doesn't hit me right away, that's it. The way I see it is that there is so much great shit out there and I'm not gonna waste my time "forcing" myself to like something. It would have been different 10 plus years ago when I really didn't know of many bands. Although I must say I did give Pain of Salvation a chance since the first time I listened to them I was like "what the fuck was that!!!" I must say I am glad I did give them a chance as I love them now. The last thing I need is to get involved in another genre of music; I have about 1800 prog and power metal cd's as it is!!!

My advice to you is to delve into the death vocals slowly. Try Dan Swano's 'Moontower, Sighs 'Imaginary Sonicscape', Edge of Sanity's 'Crimson', and Enslaved's 'Monumension'. Like another poster said, it will take time but seeing that you already like Wolverine, death vocals are within your grasp. You just need to get rid of the thought that death vocals=crap.

Creeps said:
And me living in Florida will say you obviously are missing something by stating the FLA death scene is dead... 6 Feet Under? Cannibal Corpse? Deicide? Morbid Angel? Please, stop me when I name a band that HASN'T released an album in the last year or so.

sorry to burst your bubble, but 6 Feet Under and Cannibal Corpse are from New York. if you're trying to point out that the Florida scene is alive, try Malevolent Creation.

unfortunately, with Morbid Angel's possible exception, i must agree that the Florida scene really has stagnated, especially with Chuck Schuldiner's passing...

Ryan