Distubed announces "hiatus" due to the "death of metal".

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/disturbed-s-draiman-on-band-s-hiatus-it-1005297902.story

To Disturbed, and especially David, I apologize for jumping to conclusions without the thought to get clarification first. This whole rant was for something that was apparently taken out of context.

Draiman says, Disturbed has decided to "go away for... an indefinite period of time" after its current run on the Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival just because he and his mates feel "it's just the right time to step away for awhile" after five studio albums -- four of which have debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 -- and worldwide sales of more than 13 million.

"Many of those reasons are personal reasons, and many of those reasons have to do with the state of the music industry in general and the demise of hard rock and metal right now," Draiman, who's getting married in September, explains. "The industry is still in a state of reformation; it is on the verge of collapse, in my opinion. It's a frightening time, and I think after 10 to 12 years straight of touring it's just a good time for Disturbed to go away for awhile and wait for the Phoenix to rise from the ashes."

As a fan of Disturbed, and David in general, I'd like to give him a big old "FUCK YOU."

Metal isn't dying or dead, Hard Rock isn't dying or dead. You played out to sold out Ampitheaters all over the country for Mayhem Festival in front of 10,000 people or more, you put out a very lackluster amount of energy (although you did sing very well) and you claim metal is dead? Fuck you. If you want a break, fine, take a break. I think you've earned that. But don't fucking sit back and say well, our genre is dead, so we're going to sit back and let everyone else rebuild before we come back.

Disturbed is a powerful band. They helped push boundries of the mainstream, amassed loyal fans, and man they have some powerful shit in the arsenal. It would be a shame for them to go down on a quote like that, blaming the state of metal and hard rock, after having huge turnouts for Mayhem Fest.

EDIT

Ok... Angry rant was apparently for a misunderstood quote, which I guess is the problem with internet articles. I tweeted David about it, and received a response from him on it almost immediately:

bcBPN.png

As a fan of Disturbed, and David in general, I'd like to give him a big old "FUCK YOU."

Metal isn't dying or dead, Hard Rock isn't dying or dead.

I'm with you. What the fuck?

/rant deleted

Glad everything worked out.

/spring daisies

He is correct on many points. I think the metal thing he is using as scapegoat for them wanting to just take a break. some bands are afraid to announce they are ready for nice long break instead of bands like TOOL who actually just go ahead and take it when they want it. also, just because a band plays in front of 10,000 people a night means they enjoy it. there can come a point where people stop caring and need a change. big bands, smalls bands whoever - it just happens.

But he is correct about the industry being in flux and why not take a break and come back when it's either in rubble or turned around. make sense to me.

If they want a break, they should take a break. Lord knows they've earned it after 12 years of touring and shit, that's gotta take a lot out of ANYONE.

there can come a point where people stop caring and need a change. big bands, smalls bands whoever - it just happens.

And that's fine. But you know, say that if you mean it. The reason I sent that message to him was because I thought he was referring to a scene that wouldn't support a band the size of Disturbed, and more blaming fans than coverage, which was wrong.

Maybe Disturbed should just say that they can't come up with any new ideas and are tired of recording the same album over and over.

Maybe Disturbed should just say that they can't come up with any new ideas and are tired of recording the same album over and over.

Yep, they should spend more time listening to bands who keep on rehashing the same ideas from 1992's 'Images and Words'.

A lot of big touring acts are talking hiatus right now. Black Eyed Peas just announced theirs early in July and that had been planned long before the Super Bowl debacle...

I think it's possible that in the last two years the big budget tours are returning less and less money and involve more effort. The situation with all of the labels right now is pretty dire as well too.

I can imagine it being stressful for a big artist like that. We don't even know if Disturbed is considered to be "recouped" yet or not (because of those labels and their scumbag accounting, hardly anyone ever actually does). I can imagine wanting to take a break and especially after a good run of a few strong years promoting the hell out of themselves.

His points aren't really anything I can disagree with either. Rock music right now is like a three-legged dog...and it has cancer.

You had to go there...

I just think it's ridiculous to criticize a band for 'running out of ideas' when you're posting on a board for the two metal genres most criticized for lack of originality.

Like em or not, Disturbed has a very recognizable sound. There's not one single mainstream radio-rock band who sounds like them. The second one of their tracks starts, you know exactly who it is.

I just think it's ridiculous to criticize a band for 'running out of ideas' when you're posting on a board for the two metal genres most criticized for lack of originality.

DUDE! You're on DeathBlack Metal Forum too?!?! Sweet! What's your nickname there!?!?!

dcowboys311 said:
Like em or not, Disturbed has a very recognizable sound. There's not one single mainstream radio-rock band who sounds like them. The second one of their tracks starts, you know exactly who it is.

Agreed. Though I can see them getting a bit boring, because every album sounds a lot alike - still an awesome band though.

DUDE! You're on DeathBlack Metal Forum too?!?! Sweet! What's your nickname there!?!?!

Gotta beg to differ with you here...Someone always seems to come up with new ways of reinventing death or black metal every couple of years. There are always the boring bands doing the tired old shit but those genres are constantly getting some fresh perspective...

In Prog/Power Metal, you can clearly identify that one CD from the 80s or 90s that every band is trying to copy or top...and apparently most bands were listening to the same records. Other than Speed Metal & "True Metal", I'd say that these two genres have the most homogeneous artistic landscape by a large margin. Of course there are some great exceptions and that's why I've been to this fest but it's still true.

Power Metal in particular seems to be like a heavier parallel to the Italo disco movement of the 80s...You keep seeing the same names popping up over and over again.

Hey, never said lack of originality means bad. After all, I'm posting on this forum AND defending Disturbed!

:lol: I agree with you. Lack of originality NEVER means bad.

But if you think about it, you find hundreds of examples (even established bands) in each subgenre of metal... all lacking originality one way or another.

I've seen Disturbed live. I have no idea how that man still has a voice. I'm sure he just needs to rest and have an orange juice.

They'll be back. SoaD came back.

if tours stopped happening as a whole, fans may get hungry again... hungry enough for people to physically attend and support shows.

its going to be like the NFL lock out! hahaha