Doubt Andre Matos?

I'm not a huge fan of Andre Matos, but I like his work and have no doubt that he deserves a headlining slot...

Just like I'm not huge fan of Stratovarius but they are OK to me and deserved headlining status...

Now Fates Warning!! They are the masters:worship:

Yeah he does. I listed what to expect in the PPX Bands topic:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/7666547-post134.html

I'll be attending my first ProgPower because of Andre Matos in the lineup. I saw him briefly at Wacken 2008 with Avantasia but to have him do a full solo set would be so awesome :D

Andre does songs from these albums in his setlist:

Viper - Theatre of Fate (usually "Moonlight" or "Living For the Night")
Angra - Angels Cry (the title track & "Carry On")
Angra - Holy Land
Angra - Fireworks (more times than not it's just "Lisbon")
Shaman - Ritual
Virgo - Virgo ("Fiction" usually)
Andre Matos - Time to Be Free (most of the songs will come from this)

He might even throw in a Maiden cover, you never know :)

Nothing from "Reason" gets played? I'd have thought his set would involve more from Shaman (Shaaman), as his solo album (which isn't bad) is relatively unknown. His Angra stuff is represented, although it's pretty old, and has been done by the latest Angra lineup. The Viper stuff has been out of print for ages, so it's unlikely it will be familiar to many at ProgPower.

Nothing from "Reason" gets played? I'd have thought his set would involve more from Shaman (Shaaman), as his solo album (which isn't bad) is relatively unknown. His Angra stuff is represented, although it's pretty old, and has been done by the latest Angra lineup. The Viper stuff has been out of print for ages, so it's unlikely it will be familiar to many at ProgPower.

Not as far as I know. I'm just going by what I've seen of his setlists lately. He might very well change it completely for this show :)

btw I really like that song, More, which was featured shortly on the PPUSAX vid.
there isn't much to it, but its stuck in my head.
Yo! My smarty husband says this is a cover song of Sisters of Mercy :)

RE: Andre Matos headlining

I have waited my entire heavy metal life to see Andre perform live in ANY version so I'm wicked excited to see him next year! IMO he is one of the "must see" artists in this genre of music. I'm way more excited about his headlining performance because for me it very well could be a once in a lifetime opportunity but I've seen Fates Warning several times. I'm excited to see them too but it doesn't have that same exclusiveness for me!

Anyway, carry on ...... hahaaaaaa pun totally NOT intended ;)

I have to admit I was one of those that did a WTF when Andre Matos was announced...I guess I was expecting...I don't know, something different. However given the amount of material he has at his disposal I'm willing to give it a listen with an open mind and check out his bands music between now & PPX. I'm kind of excited, these type of shows the singers tend to pull out the stops and could make for a very fun closing act

Given that, what some some favorite songs from his solo stuff and with Viper/Shaman

I'm just glad to have some bands (such as Andre Matos) that I'll feel okay about skipping. This year's lineup was entirely too good.

I was bummed that I missed all of Mustasch this year, but I needed some social time (which was in short supply this year).

I am pretty psyched for this! :) Although I am "Angrafan" ,Angrafan is a pretty old nickname.. Even when I signed up to the boards a few years back I was already a bit down on Angra.. I just kept it because a few people from the savatage board knew me like that...

But I still like matos-era Angra a LOT! Holy Land/Angels Cry are probably my 2 favorite power/prog metal albums ever... They were my favorite band growing up and I haven't seen Andre singing live since 1999, on the Fireworks Tour.. So this will be awesome for me :)

Im wondering that myself...the only reason I didn't say that video of the song More was from the Shaaman era is because I didn't wanna look like an idiot and spell it wrong.

But did you know that it's a cover song? :p Oh man Patrick... we're supposed to be in the same age bracket but this officially makes me feel much older :lol: :erk: I was quite surprised when it started playing on the video because a.) I had no idea he covered it with one of his bands, b.) it's from a whole other part of my life that doesn't usually mix with the ProgPower world, and c.) it's one of the least likely songs I would have expected to be featured during the announcement of a South American power metal band. When that video was playing, my face was this: :err: while simultaneously :headbang:

Then again, it's not Sisters of Mercy are all that popular with the ProgPower crowd. :lol:

Classic:

Last edited by a moderator:
But did you know that it's a cover song? :p Oh man Patrick... we're supposed to be in the same age bracket but this officially makes me feel much older :lol: :erk: I was quite surprised when it started playing on the video because a.) I had no idea he covered it with one of his bands, b.) it's from a whole other part of my life that doesn't usually mix with the ProgPower world, and c.) it's one of the least likely songs I would have expected to be featured during the announcement of a South American power metal band. When that video was playing, my face was this: :err: while simultaneously :headbang:

Then again, it's not Sisters of Mercy are all that popular with the ProgPower crowd. :lol:

Classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

*shrugs* didn't know I was suppose to know.

That was hideous...Andre Matos does it better and its not even his song.

*shrugs* didn't know I was suppose to know.

That was hideous...Andre Matos does it better and its not even his song.

You weren't supposed to know, but it's just cool that you liked it. Though since you didn't like the original, I guess you might not like other Sisters of Mercy songs. Ah... but I guess I can't blame ya, the Matos version is really good!

You know, I was wondering about the Jim Steinman writing credit when I started up the Shaaman video. That explains it all.

As for Matos, I much rather see a headlining set by him than by Fates Warning. At least I'd be willing to sit through his set.

Jason

Getting myself back on topic....
While browsing videos for Matos, I came across this one. I don't know anything of his solo material, but this song is terrific!

Does he always use the same people in his backing band for each album? Do you think he'll have different players at ProgPower since he'll, presumably, be doing more than just his solo material?

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting myself back on topic....
While browsing videos for Matos, I came across this one. I don't know anything of his solo material, but this song is terrific!

Does he always use the same people in his backing band for each album? Do you think he'll have different players at ProgPower since he'll, presumably, be doing more than just his solo material?

He has been playing Endeavour lately.

And in case you missed my earlier post, his band is half of Shaman pretty much. Hugo Mariutti (Shaman), Luis Mariutti (Angra/Shaman) are the two guys he's been playing with for years. So he doesn't change his band all the time, no. He's been with this lineup for about a year and a half now (I forget the other guys names, aside from his drummer, Eloy Casagrande, one of the best prog/power metal drummers ever, and he's 16).

He has been playing Endeavour lately.

And in case you missed my earlier post, his band is half of Shaman pretty much. Hugo Mariutti (Shaman), Luis Mariutti (Angra/Shaman) are the two guys he's been playing with for years. So he doesn't change his band all the time, no. He's been with this lineup for about a year and a half now (I forget the other guys names, aside from his drummer, Eloy Casagrande, one of the best prog/power metal drummers ever, and he's 16).

Excellent! Sounds like they're be able to do justice to all of his songs. Thanks for the info!