ELVENKING: What Would YOU Like To Know?

Europe has had the pleasure of seeing some fine shows and the US has only a handful of opportunities to see certain bands play, sometimes, only once. Will Gorlan bless the Progpower Stage with his mystical blue pants?

Aydan: Hoegarden or Blue Moon? (He's a big fan of White Beer)

What prompted the band’s decision to create a full length CD of acoustic songs? Knowing this was going to be done before “The Scythe”, how much influence did it have on the songwriting for that album?

Don’t you guys ever get sick of being pimped out on forums by me?

I should have more, but I can't think of much, honestly! We just did kind of a fan Q & A on their site, where a lot of questions were answered. If you want to have a little more fun, ask Aydan when we're getting Heathenreel 2. I'm sure you'll get a pretty sound "NEVER!" ;)

if you ask anything though, ask about the blue pants.

One question:

There are some out there who are big fans of your second album, Wyrd; and think it includes some of your strongest songs. Why don't you include more from that album into your set?

Are there any thoughts of including some of the Leprechaun songs into Elvenking's set?

Okay, you have 4 albums, 5 with the acoustic one, and 45 minutes at a show for your first US apperance, and your die hard fans like just about every song. How in the world do you come up with a set list?

Aydan, your guitar style is a bit different from Jarpen's, do you play his recorded leads live, or do you do your own thing? Where do you rate the likeliness that he'll ever return to the band?

For a time the members of Elvenking were the bandmates for Walkyier, but then you stopped. Are there any plans for this to occur again? Are there any plans for further collaboration with him on future Elvenking albums?

Okay, so you toured with Jon Oliva's Pain, and Chris "Kong" Kinder (the drummer) told us about a certain nickname they had for your band, "Elvenpigs". How did the knickname come about?

1. How did you become the Elven King?
2. Were you elected or were you appointed by a committee?
3. How do you respond to your opponents accusation of "hanging chads"?
4. Why did you claim to have been under sniper fire when you visited Minas Tirith?

They don't sound anything like Rhapsody IMO.

Do they plan on mixing the setlist up for their USA appearance or focusing mainly on The Scythe?

I just wonder if they have that Rhapsody-type vibe in their lyrics and thematic elements? I have never heard anything by E-King yet, so please forgive my ignorance.

The folk elements have been noticeably fading with each release. Is this a conscious decision or the natural evolution of your writing?

I think you (people who say this) are crazy. There's no lack in folky tunes in any of the CD's. I don't know where people are coming from that say "Oh, The Scythe is so not folk musicy." because it's evident in both the sound and the lyrics in almost every song.

What, exactly, are you referring to? I've heard this quite a bit, and I just don't understand it.

Its called 'I heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend that you've been defolkafying your sound'

I try.

I just wonder if they have that Rhapsody-type vibe in their lyrics and thematic elements? I have never heard anything by E-King yet, so please forgive my ignorance.

Not to flame or derail the thread or anything, but they aren't powerful or good like Fabio of Rhapsody. His voice truly reminds me of an indie band, just my take.

I think you (people who say this) are crazy. There's no lack in folky tunes in any of the CD's. I don't know where people are coming from that say "Oh, The Scythe is so not folk musicy." because it's evident in both the sound and the lyrics in almost every song.

What, exactly, are you referring to? I've heard this quite a bit, and I just don't understand it.

Lyrics aside, there's NO WAY you can tell me you think that The Scythe has as many folk elements as Heathenreel. It's MUCH more straightforward metal...which, by the way I happen to love. Just a touch of the "folk" stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love all things Elvenking...hell, I'm a co-sponsor...WITH YOU, but I just won't buy the argument that they've stayed true to the sound of the first two albums. What I'm curious about is whether or not THEY think that, which is why I would like him to ask the question. I like the evolution (to my ears) that they've undergone.

Its called 'I heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend that you've been defolkafying your sound'

I'm assuming you're just making a joke here (which did make me smile) and not trying to hint that I am just repeating what others have heard rather than stating my own opinion. :cool:

The Scythe is not a clone of Heathenreel, or WYRD, but it damn sure carries parts of both with it into the songwriting. Yes, there is more straightforward metal than previous releases, but to say all Folk is virtually cut out.. how can you say that after listening to Riddle of the Stars, Dominhate, Totentanz, and Horns Ablaze*? I mean, these are just the songs that strike me as the most grassroots-ish on the CD, but the elements are all in place from most of the songs. I think the only song really lacking the way most people claim the whole CD is, would be The Divided Heart. The way people go on, it's as though it's 11 tracks of that very song.

No, it's not as folk-tastic as Heathenreel, yes it is an evolved sound, but I think asking Elvenking to re-hash (essentially) Heathenreel is like asking Nightwish to re-release another Oceanborn, or Blind Guardian to remake ITFOS. The sounds from these albums still exist in the bands current works. In fact, I think these 2 examples are far more dramatic changes than The Scythe.

Take for example Mercenary, then. Everblack and Architect of Lies are completely different beasts, but you can tell they both carry Mercenary's difinitive sound. Much like The Scythe does for Elvenking. Maybe i'm rambling, but I really do think The Scythe is no less folky than The Winter Wake, and only a little less than WYRD (which frankly, I don't really count as an EK release).

I don't mean to come off as a dick, but I really don't understand what's so incredible about this band. I checked out The Scythe and I thought it was just ok and certainly not in the slightest folk (they have a violinist... but so does Unexpect... doesn't make either band folk), either. Maybe their old stuff is better? Where should I start?

Are they like the second coming of Rhapsody or what?! I'll be curious to see them play live!

Yes they are from Italy so therefore they must sound like Rhapsody. Cripple Bastards and Novembre are clearly Rhapsody cover bands too.... :rolleyes:

I don't mean to come off as a dick, but I really don't understand what's so incredible about this band. I checked out The Scythe and I thought it was just ok and certainly not in the slightest folk (they have a violinist... but so does Unexpect... doesn't make either band folk), either. Maybe their old stuff is better? Where should I start?

Heathenreel is the only essential release from them, but Wyrd and The Winter Wake have a few cool songs. I think The Scythe is trash.