Enslaved - A good choice for ProgPower?

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Considering how ProgPower USA has been branching out and how much Enslaved truly progressed over the last decade, do you guys think they would do well at ProgPower?

I was just listening to Axioma Ethica Odini today and couldn't help but wonder the type of reaction they might get at the fest. Enslaved has progressed more than a lot of bands that have played the festival before. The black metal thing is in the past, really (though they still use the death/black vocals), but the combination of progressive metal, extreme, psychdelic, 70s prog, avant-garde technically makes them a true candidate for the fest.

It's no wonder this band has been growing with each release, and releasing some of the finest metal around. The only band that got more Album of the Year awards this year was Accept. Thoughts?

They are a highly relevant band in the scene so I'd think they'd be very good for bringing in new faces.

They are a highly relevant band in the scene so I'd think they'd be very good for bringing in new faces.

I agree. And I don't think the Progressive/Power purists would have to worry about a bunch of black metal fans from the middle-of-the-northern-woods showing up and ruining it. It's not like Enslaved is a pure Black Metal band (or their fans, for that matter).

Plus, they are fairly-well established. We're talking about a high-slot band. Easily a 5th.

I like the band, but to me they don't seem like a real good fit. There really isn't any exclusivity to bringing them in since they tour the US quite a bit, plus I bet if you take a poll people would rather see another exclusive prog or power band over an oddball like Enslaved. I don't think the typical fan of the prog power festival would be real thrilled to see Enslaved take a high roster spot.

The fans you would attract by bringing in Enslaved probably wouldn't be real interested in attending future festivals unless more black/death/extreme type acts were on the bill. I don't think your typical Enslaved fan is a fan of Seventh Wonder, Pathosray, Symphorce, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Britt

Sorry Britt, but I have to disagree 100%.

Enslaved is the epitome of a progressive metal band. Period.
(IE - meaning both figuratively and literally).

Given some of the bands in recent years who have played, I certainly think Enslaved would be a perfect fit.

I mean, come on. Tyr and Turisas could be considered but not Enslaved?

I like the band, but to me they don't seem like a real good fit. There really isn't any exclusivity to bringing them in since they tour the US quite a bit, plus I bet if you take a poll people would rather see another exclusive prog or power band over an oddball like Enslaved. I don't think the typical fan of the prog power festival would be real thrilled to see Enslaved take a high roster spot.

The fans you would attract by bringing in Enslaved probably wouldn't be real interested in attending future festivals unless more black/death/extreme type acts were on the bill. I don't think your typical Enslaved fan is a fan of Seventh Wonder, Pathosray, Symphorce, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Britt

This!

Couldn't have said it better myself. One of the main reasons I go to ProgPower is to see bands I couldn't see otherwise (with a few exceptions). I can see Enslaved pretty much anytime. Plus a lot of folks wouldn't like the all death metal vocals.

Sorry Britt, but I have to disagree 100%.

Enslaved is the epitome of a progressive metal band. Period.
(IE - meaning both figuratively and literally).

Given some of the bands in recent years who have played, I certainly think Enslaved would be a perfect fit.

I mean, come on. Tyr and Turisas could be considered but not Enslaved?

I don't dispute that they are a progressive band ... still doesn't make them an automatic fit for PP.

The vocals would turn off a large number of attendees. They are about 70/30 or 80/20 blackened growls to clean vox.

Like it or not the majority of prog power fans are not into that vocal style. I think people would be pissed if Enslaved was announced as a direct support of headliner band at PP.

Britt

I saw them open for Dimmu Borgir last month and it seemed like it was pretty much ALL growls. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but either way it's still a very large percentage.

I don't dispute that they are a progressive band ... still doesn't make them an automatic fit for PP.

The vocals would turn off a large number of attendees. They are about 70/30 or 80/20 blackened growls to clean vox.

Like it or not the majority of prog power fans are not into that vocal style. I think people would be pissed if Enslaved was announced as a direct support of headliner band at PP.

Britt

Arcturus - 5th Slot - death vox
Therion - 5th Slot & Headliner - death vox
Amorphis - Headliner - death vox
Orphaned Land - 3rd Slot & Returning Heroes 2nd - death vox
Mercenary - 2nd Slot & 4th Slot - death vox
Epica - 4th Slot - death vox
After Forever - Headliner - death vox

Sure these bands are not death vox exclusively, but nor is Enslaved. Based on history alone, they would be fine. I agree that there are lots of ProgPower fans that are not into the style. You have to remember something, though... You're taking this forum as the base for your arguments. Guess what? This forum does not represent the majority of attendance in the fest. Not even close.

It is a shame, though, that there are plenty of people who would rather see a generic Helloween clone than a band truly spectacular as Enslaved. That much I'll say.

This!

Couldn't have said it better myself. One of the main reasons I go to ProgPower is to see bands I couldn't see otherwise (with a few exceptions). I can see Enslaved pretty much anytime. Plus a lot of folks wouldn't like the all death metal vocals.

I agree with you - I'd rather see a band that I don't get to see often when I go to ProgPower. That being said, sometimes things just don't fall into schedule for many reasons. I don't dispute that seeing a "rare" band over Enslaved would be better. But consider a hypothetical situation where Glenn doesn't have another option but Enslaved was available (either starting a tour *OR* the possibility of give the American fans a special headlining set).

I thought that it would be common sense when I mentioned Enslaved as a band for the festival. There has to be a certain scenario for it to happen (more than likely), unless Glenn just wants to book them because they rule, period.

So Enslaved is an "oddball" but Tyr is not??

Right! Let's not forget TYR had been touring the States prior to their ProgPower announcement. Kamelot too.

Unfortunately people around here seem to think ODDBALL = DEATH VOCALS. Then they come and say "Oh Epica, After Forever, Mercenary fit ProgPower PERFECTLY! They're not oddballs! Blah Blah Blah..."

I agree with you - I'd rather see a band that I don't get to see often when I go to ProgPower. That being said, sometimes things just don't fall into schedule for many reasons. I don't dispute that seeing a "rare" band over Enslaved would be better. But consider a hypothetical situation where Glenn doesn't have another option but Enslaved was available (either starting a tour *OR* the possibility of give the American fans a special headlining set).

I thought that it would be common sense when I mentioned Enslaved as a band for the festival. There has to be a certain scenario for it to happen (more than likely), unless Glenn just wants to book them because they rule, period.

If it was a special set or to add some pizazz to an already existing lineup ( ie- Leaves Eyes and Blackguard), then I could see it as a possibility. To your point about the death vox and the other examples you listed, to me Enslaved has way more death vocals than those other bands. I personally don't mind all growls but I know lots of people are put off by it.

Who knows .. doesn't seem like a good fit to me, but I've attended every prog power and seen the festival slowly warm up to harsher acts along the way. I still think the core fan pretty much enjoys their more exclusive, typically safer prog and power bands to the harsher stuff. Times are changing though, but I recall people on this forum being pretty pissed when Amorphis was named as a headliner. Heck, Glenn had to devise a strategy (band announcements via video) out of fear the building would empty once Amorphis hit the stage. And .... if you ask me Amorphis is way more accessible than Enslaved.

Britt

To your point about the death vox and the other examples you listed, to me Enslaved has way more death vocals than those other bands. I personally don't mind all growls but I know lots of people are put off by it.

I agree, they do have more death vocals indeed. However, if a crowd is able to "endure" death vocals at an Amorphis and a Mercenary sets and still give them a hell of an ovation, then they'd be just fine.

If, however, they'd rather go back to their hotel rooms and listen to another generic, run-of-the-mill power or prog metal bands and worship them, that's their choice. :D

Who knows .. doesn't seem like a good fit to me, but I've attended every prog power and seen the festival slowly warm up to harsher acts along the way. I still think the core fan pretty much enjoys their more exclusive, typically safer prog and power bands to the harsher stuff.

I would still not disagree with that. But as you also said...

The Invisible Guest said:
Times are changing though

I recall people on this forum being pretty pissed when Amorphis was named as a headliner.

Yes. I remember that. I also remember the amount of people after the show saying "Wow, I was such an idiot to have complained, they kicked ass!"

Heck, Glenn had to devise a strategy (band announcements via video) out of fear the building would empty once Amorphis hit the stage.

Perhaps. Amorphis turned out fine though. The reception during their set was pretty damn good. Better than a few other headliners, as a matter of fact.

I agree, they do have more death vocals indeed. However, if a crowd is able to "endure" death vocals at an Amorphis and a Mercenary sets and still give them a hell of an ovation, then they'd be just fine.

If, however, they'd rather go back to their hotel rooms and listen to another generic, run-of-the-mill power or prog metal bands and worship them, that's their choice. :D

Like I said, it wouldn't bother me one bit but if people did leave then you're right; it's their loss!

I would say it's not the amount of death vocals that would be the problem with Enslaved, it's the lack of clean vocals. All the past (and future) PP bands with death vocals also have true "lead vocals" for the clean vocals. Most to the point where the clean vocals are the main vocal, with the growls adding a texture.

It's the opposite for Enslaved. Though they've mixed vocal styles for their entire career, the clean vocals have always been of a chanting, buried-in-the-mix, atmospheric kind of thing, not the hook of the song. You can't sing along with Enslaved songs. However, this changed significantly with AEO (one of the things I don't like about it!) so who knows, maybe it's time?

However, I've been saying for years that Enslaved needs to associate with and tour with other bands in the prog-but-not-Prog circle (like post-metal, sludge, etc.) and they've never listened to me. They continue to tour with dumb black metal bands. So it's almost like they don't recognize themselves that they're a "prog" band, or at least figure it isn't in their interest for their fanbase to identify them as such.

Neil