Enslaved - A good choice for ProgPower?

Would I love to see Enslaved at PP? Sure.
But, it wouldn't be a particularly special event since they DO tour fairly regularly. Add some spice to it -- like an all-request setlist or an album in its entirety or something -- and the wow factor would go up.

I think I remember someone on here saying they were considered for ProgPower around the time Blackwater Park came out.

It would have been for ProgPower USA III.

What about a band like Borknagar? They haven't been in the states since 99(?) and I think they are progressive-ish.

+1

Enslaved would alone sell more tickets almost any of these "other bands that don't really play the States. I assume you're talking about Power and Prog metal bands that still hasn't debuted in the US... European acts like, let's see... Cloudscape, Falconer, Freedom Call... Do you really think people would travel to go see bands like those? Travel far? Come on, that's absurd!

People don't need to "travel" to go see Enslaved. However, 100 people from the Atlanta area might decide to go see them at ProgPower because it *might be* their only appearance in Georgia. Good enough, 100 tickets sold. What if they decided to play a special set (i.e. ISA in its entirety)? Enslaved might bring in more people from the Atlanta area than any of those other bands alone would bring in from the entire USA.

It depends on the band. For me as well as others have said in the past, what sells me on the fest are the exclusives. I just don't think bands on a major tour are the best idea as most would rather juist see them in their backyard. In terms of selling atlanta fans idk. Would people pay that much to see enslaved? Some maybe but most not. The only thing I think they would help with are the fence sitters.

Enslaved would alone sell more tickets almost any of these "other bands that don't really play the States. I assume you're talking about Power and Prog metal bands that still hasn't debuted in the US... European acts like, let's see... Cloudscape, Falconer, Freedom Call... Do you really think people would travel to go see bands like those? Travel far? Come on, that's absurd!

People don't need to "travel" to go see Enslaved. However, 100 people from the Atlanta area might decide to go see them at ProgPower because it *might be* their only appearance in Georgia. Good enough, 100 tickets sold. What if they decided to play a special set (i.e. ISA in its entirety)? Enslaved might bring in more people from the Atlanta area than any of those other bands alone would bring in from the entire USA.

I'd drive a couple hundred miles to see Falconer or Freedom Call. I wouldn't for Enslaved though. So there ya go.

I'd drive a couple hundred miles to see Falconer or Freedom Call. I wouldn't for Enslaved though. So there ya go.

As I said, nobody should be catering to you specifically when booking a show. You are in the minority in the grand scheme of things. Falconer or Freedom Call never even landed on the heatseakers chart, but Enslaved consistently sells every year (both albums and tickets), which means there are people who would travel to see them. At the very least, alot of local Atlantians certainly would fill up the house, and if the lineup was diverse enough people would fly out from the country.

We are still talking about this band right? On PROG POWER?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0qnGDIwDUw

Dude, you're so cheap! Everyone knows that Enslaved is NOT a pure black metal band. For the sake of defending your argument, however, you pick one of their most pure black metal songs so the people that obviously haven't checked out the band would. How come you didn't show one of Enslaved's more recent songs, the stuff that is relevant to the band nowadays!?!? It's like you're showing The Gathering to somebody, but you pick the death metal shit. Or Anathema.

kingdomgone86 said:

Yeah. You would. The day Freedom Call and Falconer bring in more than 100 people to any show in the continental US, Enslaved will be doing headlining tours.

Oh wait. They already are.

But not to say we've been disagreeing the whole time, I would *totally* drive to see Falconer. :lol:

I picked that song because it's from what I believe is Enslaved's best album. Sorry you didn't like it. I don't really care what's relevant these days. If someone asked me to show them a great Fates Warning track, I'd show them something off Parallels, not one of their more recent (boring) cds. Or why don't I post a song from St. Anger for people to check out Metallica? That'd be relevant right?

As I said, nobody should be catering to you specifically when booking a show. You are in the minority in the grand scheme of things. Falconer or Freedom Call never even landed on the heatseakers chart, but Enslaved consistently sells every year (both albums and tickets), which means there are people who would travel to see them. At the very least, alot of local Atlantians certainly would fill up the house, and if the lineup was diverse enough people would fly out from the country.

I always thought that ProgPower was about the minority. I mean, I can say that bands like Seventh Wonder and Illusion Suite are not a band a lot of people in the states would really wanna see. But the people that love those bands came out all the way to Atlanta to the ONLY place in the states where you can see that shit. If we're just trying to sell tickets, you might as well change the name of the festival, because Prog and Power bands don't sell tickets in the states. There's a select group of people who dig that stuff. I think that this festival is for those people. Not for the majority. I can see Enslaved anywhere. It really CHEAPENS the festival to add bands like this.

I picked that song because it's from what I believe is Enslaved's best album. Sorry you didn't like it. I don't really care what's relevant these days. If someone asked me to show them a great Fates Warning track, I'd show them something off Parallels, not one of their more recent (boring) cds. Or why don't I post a song from St. Anger for people to check out Metallica? That'd be relevant right?

:lol: I guess you missed my point. The reason why I said relevant is because for a few albums, Enslaved hasn't written music in that vein. It's like my examples from the other post, if you're gonna show The Gathering to somebody, you wouldn't pick one of the death metal song eras regardless of your taste. Why? Because that's not how the band sounds anymore. Enslaved's music changed a lot over the years, and I don't think that song is a good representation of what they're all about. It's not a matter of picking something new. It's a whole different story.

I always thought that ProgPower was about the minority. I mean, I can say that bands like Seventh Wonder and Illusion Suite are not a band a lot of people in the states would really wanna see. But the people that love those bands came out all the way to Atlanta to the ONLY place in the states where you can see that shit. If we're just trying to sell tickets, you might as well change the name of the festival, because Prog and Power bands don't sell tickets in the states. There's a select group of people who dig that stuff. I think that this festival is for those people. Not for the majority. I can see Enslaved anywhere. It really CHEAPENS the festival to add bands like this.

You can see Kamelot and Hammerfall everywhere too, though. Or TYR. And at one point, you have to branch out. You can't be serving the same slice of apple pie over and over again.

God damn, if this thread doesn't prove anything, it proves that Enslaved is one of the most consistently awesome bands in metal.

I agree with both arguments on Enslaved. Enslaved is a damn fine progressive black metal band, and really should be at PPUSA. However, I also believe that Enslaved would not be a fit EXCEPT as a headliner. They just tour the USA too damn much to be anything but. However, I do not think Glenn will let what is essentially a black metal band headline PPUSA. If he does, that honor will go to Ihsahn first.

I haven't followed this thread. Suffice it to say, Enslaved is a big yes for me. That said, it doesn't seem like a good fit. They now tour the states regularly, so coming here for a one off probably isn't all that intriguing to them, especially for the money I would guess a four or five slot band gets.