Epic Doom Metal

Dec 28, 2001
New Plymouth, New Zealand
www.last.fm
I'm relatively new to Traditional Doom Metal and so far I am fucking loving it immensely. I'm interested in finding more more bands along the lines of Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Scald and Reverend Bizarre. I'm already somewhat familiar with the likes of Trouble, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Solstice, et cetera. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Isole
Ereb Altor
Doomsword
Mirror Of Deception
Revelation
Orodruin
Fall Of The Idols
The Gates Of Slumber
Great Coven
Hour Of 13

My personal favs:

Doomsword
Orodruin
Fall of the Idols
The Gates of Slumber
Seamount
While Heaven Wept (in particular, the first song off Of Empires Forlorn:p)

Also, don't forget Count Raven. Not completely "epic", per se, but still fucing awesome.

Most have already been said; but I'd like to second While Heaven Wept (^). They're very epic, but not in the traditional doom sense, so I don't know what you'd think of them. Of Empires Forlorn is a really good record though.

I'd also throw Pagan Altar out there; a great band.

:kickass: Pretty much the best music style ever!

I second most of the recs here, and can add:

Doomshine
Forsaken
Thunderstorm
The Doomsday Cult
Well of Souls

Not doom, but definitely check out The Pnakotic Demos by Atlantean Kodex. Brilliant epic heavy metal with occasional doomy parts. If you like Solstice, I guarantee you will like them.

It should be mentioned that Atlantean Kodex's best song is really quite easily the fantastically epic namesake song off of "New Age of Iron Vol. 1". A must for all fans!

They're most notorious for having Phil Swanson of Hour of 13 fame on vocals, unfortunately, but it's really a quite brilliant epic doom band with excellent crispy guitars and a fantastic sense of melody. They put up their album for download all legal-like somewhere. Until someone finds it...

http://www.myspace.com/seamountdoom

Heh, not the thread starter, but thanks for the tips Rumpole. I ordered it now. :p

No problem. Glad to return the favour after all your recs!

They're most notorious for having Phil Swanson of Hour of 13 fame on vocals, unfortunately, but it's really a quite brilliant epic doom band with excellent crispy guitars and a fantastic sense of melody. They put up their album for download all legal-like somewhere. Until someone finds it...

http://www.myspace.com/seamountdoom

I agree they are a fantastic band and Swanson is probably my favourite vocalist in metal at the moment, but I definitely wouldn't describe them as being epic doom.

Orodruin
Reverend Bizarre
Warning
While Heaven Wept
Solstice
Apostle of Solitude
Fall of The Idols
Solitude Aeturnus
Oversoul/Dwell Within
Isole
All Souls Day
Confessor
Well of Souls
Candlemass
Revelation
Great Coven
Sorcerer
Semlah
Penance
Mirror of Deception
Count Raven
Hour of 13
Pagan Altar
Heathendom
Blood Farmers
Pale Divine
Unorthodox

...and SO much more. Not all "epic" but w/e

On a related note- I've noticed that albums by most of these bands sell in the ~$20 range. Are there any secret internet treasure coves (aside from Shadow Kingdom) that regularly stock good doom at a better price?