Facepalm moment: 20 greatest drummers of the last 25 years....

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm/greatest-drummer-of-the-last-25-years-the-results-are-in-270334/

"The 20 Greatest Drummers Of The Last 25 Years," according to readers of U.K.'s Rhythm magazine:

01. Joey Jordison (SLIPKNOT, ROB ZOMBIE) :erk:
02. Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER)
03. Gavin Harrison (PORCUPINE TREE)
04. Neil Peart (RUSH)
05. Dave Grohl (NIRVANA, THEM CROOKED VULTURES)
06. Travis Barker (BLINK-182, TRANSPLANTS)
07. Nicko McBrain (IRON MAIDEN)
08. Vinnie Colaiuta (FRANK ZAPPA, STING, JEFF BECK)
09. Phil Collins (GENESIS)
10. Chad Smith (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, CHICKENFOOT)
11. Brann Dailor (MASTODON)
12. Steve Gadd (ERIC CLAPTON, PAUL SIMON)
13. Thomas Lang
14. Stewart Copeland (THE POLICE)
15. Terry Bozzio (FRANK ZAPPA)
16. Josh Freese (A PERFECT CIRCLE, DEVO)
17. Cozy Powell (RAINBOW, WHITESNAKE, BLACK SABBATH)
18. Jeff Porcaro (TOTO, MICHAEL JACKSON)
19. Stephen Morris (JOY DIVISION, NEW ORDER)
20. Steve White (PAUL WELLER, OASIS)

I like what he does and do not wish to "roast" his skills, but all the drummers in this list are far better then him, without saying he's bad!

Seems like Slipknot is a popular band still.... I got spammed all over the place the last days to vote for Joey (Facebook, MySpace, e-mail....). So I guess it's not only who's the best drummer, but also who has the best marketing techniques...

Joey's not that bad a drummer, I don't get all the hate. Sure, he plays in a band tailored for angry 14 year olds and he has very little control and flails around like an absolute spastic, but he at least has an identifiable style that is pretty unique to him, better than can be said for most musicians.

Da fuck?! :puke:

Sean Reinert motherfuckers! and fucking Hoglan! And why is Thomas Lang so low?

WHAT THE FUCK!

Gene Hoglan isn't number 1, OR ON THE LIST FOR THAT MATTER?

This list is no longer valid.

I'd like to think Reinert would be on the list too, but let's get real folks, it's part popularity and part how much influence they've had on rock music in general.
He might not be a super virtuoso drummer, but Dave Grohl is one definitely one of my top 20 favorites. A solid player who could easily walk into a studio and nail his shit in probably 3 takes max.
Being able to play simpler shit perfectly > trying to play more technical shit but never being able to ever play it properly and precisely every time.

Oh, come on... :erk: I mean... Look at number 6... It really sums up how bad this is.

We should debate on the top 100 best guitarists of all time, If my memory serves well was a Rolling Stone top 100. There was Kurt Cobain on top of A LOT OF really better guitarists...

Didn't see Steve Smith on the list .... WTF!

He is the kind of guy thats always trying to out do himself which to me shows great musicianship. fuck when he gets bored and wants to learn something new he fly's to a country and learns with locals and natives.

how does someone of his calibre get bored and yet still find new things to learn? dont think many of the other guys are as good or as dedicated to the drums as this man. :worship:

I don't get it.
This discussion is irrelevant, lists on magazines are there for two reasons. Marketing and filling space when not enough features fill all the pages.

Never seen this vid before. Eric Moore vs Derek Roddy... Best thing about this video is to see that both these drummers have their origin in complete different styles, but both are so well skilled next to their own genre that they just rip at everything they do.

I think people will only ever be happy when it reads like this:

Greatest 20 drummers of the last 25 years

01. Joey Jordison (SLIPKNOT, ROB ZOMBIE)
01. Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER)
01. Gavin Harrison (PORCUPINE TREE)
01. Neil Peart (RUSH)
01. Dave Grohl (NIRVANA, THEM CROOKED VULTURES)
01. Travis Barker (BLINK-182, TRANSPLANTS)
01. Nicko McBrain (IRON MAIDEN)
01. Vinnie Colaiuta (FRANK ZAPPA, STING, JEFF BECK)
01. Phil Collins (GENESIS)
01. Chad Smith (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, CHICKENFOOT)
01. Brann Dailor (MASTODON)
01. Steve Gadd (ERIC CLAPTON, PAUL SIMON)
01. Thomas Lang
01. Stewart Copeland (THE POLICE)
01. Terry Bozzio (FRANK ZAPPA)
01. Josh Freese (A PERFECT CIRCLE, DEVO)
01. Cozy Powell (RAINBOW, WHITESNAKE, BLACK SABBATH)
01. Jeff Porcaro (TOTO, MICHAEL JACKSON)
01. Stephen Morris (JOY DIVISION, NEW ORDER)
01. Steve White (PAUL WELLER, OASIS)
01. Danny Carey
01. Steve Smith
01. Lombardo
01. Hoglan
01. Cbf anymore [insert your favourite drummer here]

..........oooaaahhhh......not fair!.......

People may disagree with me, but Tre' Cool from Green Day is pretty damn good I've recently discovered.