Fav Angra Album

Angrafan said:
Am I the only to think that rebirth is by far their worst album?
What a piece of junk! =P

ToS is better, but it's no Holy Land :p

I agree with you completely!

I love love love every old Angra album; I listen to them over and over again over the years. Holyland is the best!

If someone handed me Rebirth and said that this is a new power metal band, I would have thought "Great power metal cd." But to hand it to me as an Angra album, one of my Favorite bands.... no way, such a disappointment.

I guess it is because I never thought of Angra as power metal, but as melodic Brazilian metal. My least favorite old Angra songs are 'Carry On' and 'Nothing to Say'..... I prefer the more Brazilian sounding keyboardy songs. Rebirth with the simplistic power metal drums and lack of keyboards (in comparision to old Angra) doesn't even sound like Angra to me... and it has nothing to do with a vocalist change.

Then I got Shaman's Ritual...(Shaman is 3 members of old Angra for those who don't know).. and decided that the wrong band kept the name Angra. While Ritual does not match up to old Angra it is worlds closer then Rebirth, and Matos sound better than he ever has.

Now I got ToS, and I am quite impressed. It is a great cd. I will agree that it is no Holyland, but I can definitely hear slight glimpses of old Angra in new Angra. However, whoever said that ToS is Angra's most progressive cd needs to hear Holyland again (if they ever have). ToS is a great power metal cd.

As far as Shaman... I am waiting for Reason to arrive in the mail. I am really Anxious to here if Mato's camp out does ToS... I love the one song I've heard so far, so I'm looking forward to it!

I still can't wait to see Angra at PP; they were great at PP3.

And I hope that someday things get smoothed over with Shaman, so that they can come to PP too (please Glen *beg*). I saw them from behind 8000 people in Brazil... but even from that far away I could tell they put on a hell of a show.

Robin

Gotta go with Rebirth, by a landslide. ToS disappointed me from the get go since Edu's vox seem forced on nearly every track. I've been a fan since Angel's Cry, but the fact that Edu never hits notes that cause sterility in dogs gives the edge to the new lineup over the old. Either way... bad karma feelings I have towards ToS, it's still a friggin truckload better than Shaman. Andre should stick to guesting on Tobias' cds and doing Tiny Tim impersonations at the Holiday Inn Express... or get a job at Sea World speaking to the dolphins.

"Heathcliiiiiiiiiif" *glass breaking*

STFU, Andre... Heathcliff's a damn cat and your ear piercing caterwaul just blew his testicles off.

Later,
Jeffro

I at times questioned andres vocals but i have to say that i bought shamans-the ritual dvd, and was somewhat impressed by andre and the overall performance. I am psyched about Angra this year, their musicianship is something i want to see in person.

Sheee-it, dude. If it would help us to hear from DC more than once every odd couple of years, I'd support that for sure. Then again, I think I could listen to that bastich sing Britney Spears tunes to Snoop Dogg backing tracks.

WTF is up with his second solo cd. That thing has been in the works for like 27-28 years now, at least. And what about his damn website??? Seems like it was 3-4 Prog Power's ago when MetalAges was being hit up to do his site, but nada is to be seen as far as actual content for it.

Maybe we can trot DC to sing backup for Circus Maximus and then I can just die right after their set, having achieved musical coitus interruptus. :)

Shut up, JW... lest I tell Kai you've been slagging on your fan boy status. ;)

Later,
Jeffro

I dont know what the hell hes been up to, but he needs to do something SOON! I needs ma DC fix. When i saw he was showing at the pre party i just about jumped out of my skin and felt the need to touch myself.

longshot9 said:
When I first heard ToS I wasn't totally into it, I honestly was hoping for a CD full of "Nova Era", "Rebirth", and "Heroes Of Sand". But as I kept listening to it, it just grew and grew on me to the point I like it as a full package more than Rebirth. Give it another chance, or just wait to see the new songs live, might change your mind... who knows.

wow ,the same thing happend to me,TOS is my fav angra album now

ReaLM said:
I agree with you completely!

I love love love every old Angra album; I listen to them over and over again over the years. Holyland is the best!

If someone handed me Rebirth and said that this is a new power metal band, I would have thought "Great power metal cd." But to hand it to me as an Angra album, one of my Favorite bands.... no way, such a disappointment.

I guess it is because I never thought of Angra as power metal, but as melodic Brazilian metal. My least favorite old Angra songs are 'Carry On' and 'Nothing to Say'..... I prefer the more Brazilian sounding keyboardy songs. Rebirth with the simplistic power metal drums and lack of keyboards (in comparision to old Angra) doesn't even sound like Angra to me... and it has nothing to do with a vocalist change.

Then I got Shaman's Ritual...(Shaman is 3 members of old Angra for those who don't know).. and decided that the wrong band kept the name Angra. While Ritual does not match up to old Angra it is worlds closer then Rebirth, and Matos sound better than he ever has.

Now I got ToS, and I am quite impressed. It is a great cd. I will agree that it is no Holyland, but I can definitely hear slight glimpses of old Angra in new Angra. However, whoever said that ToS is Angra's most progressive cd needs to hear Holyland again (if they ever have). ToS is a great power metal cd.

As far as Shaman... I am waiting for Reason to arrive in the mail. I am really Anxious to here if Mato's camp out does ToS... I love the one song I've heard so far, so I'm looking forward to it!

I still can't wait to see Angra at PP; they were great at PP3.

And I hope that someday things get smoothed over with Shaman, so that they can come to PP too (please Glen *beg*). I saw them from behind 8000 people in Brazil... but even from that far away I could tell they put on a hell of a show.

Robin

Amen!

I couldn't have said it better myself, even though I love Nothing to say (it sounds somewhat tribal to me, not sooooo power metal).. I'd add ZITO to that least favorite old angra songs!

But I feel exactly the same way about rebirth, ToS, even Shaaman! I agree that it's more like old angra than the new Angra, although neither are as good.. LOL

What Shaaman show did you watch? the one with all the special guests in SP?

Angels Cry and Holy Land.

They all range from good to great though. Fireworks is perhaps their only disc you could pass.

The post-Matos era, though different, is also amazing. Both Rebirth and Temple of Shadows are solid pieces of work.

"Holy Land". A masterpiece, one of the most original metal albums from the 90's.

"Temple of Shadows" is a fantastic album as well.

To Real M when you listen to Shaman's Reason, you will be surprised. I dont think it really sounds at all like Ritual. It is still a good album just not as good as Ritual.

Reasons It's nothing like ritual...

It has very awesome ideas but none fully explored and developed... Also Andre sounds... weak.

It would have been a great album if it wasnt for that imo.

Reasons is a major flop. If it was actually too complex and unusual to get my head around, I could just say that maybe I didn't get it. But it just sounds so simple to me, with an almost total lack of hooks or progressiveness.

I agree with you guys. Ritual was a great album and I wanted more on the follow up, but the simple, straighforward rock just isnt doing it for me.

For a good six years, "Holy Land" was my favorite Angra album. It was my introduction to the band, and it contained a sound that I had never heard before. However, once I heard "Temple Of Shadows," I was doing a double-take every minute. Everything was taken to the highest power: the songwriting, the technical ability, the heavy parts, the light parts, everything. Personally, I don't think Angra has a bad album in them. In fact, I think "Fireworks" is seriously underrated. I figure that the majority of their set will be centered around the new album, and that's fine with me, as I've never heard that material performed live. As for older tunes, I'm really hoping for "Stand Away," "Silence And Distance," "Freedom Call," "Wings Of Reality," "Judgment Day," and "Live And Learn."

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al