Favorite 5.1 mix cds?

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
What are some of your faves that not only make your speakers bleed, but have amazing instrument separation? The Kompendium disc is damn near flawless in Dolby Digital and has led me to seek out more.

My two faves are Queens "The Game" & "A Night At The Opera" I might also add that Porcupine Tree have a few great ones also. I have about 30 DVD-Audio. The best ones are remastered in DTS. The only problem is they have never caught on and few are made now a days. Making them hard to come by. If you go for the biggies Like the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac you can pay over a $100 on ebay.

I'd love a list in general of great 5.1 mixes. I just got these great JBLS and the only thing that would make them better is if I had two more behind me and the sub to go with it... At the same time I know that 5.1 mixes aren't necessarily common.

Just started to get into the 5.1 mixes as I didn't have the proper setup at my old place. As such, I only have heard "Moving Pictures" from Rush, so that would have to be my favorite at this point. I did get Pink Floyd's DSOTM Immersion box set for Christmas, so I'll have to check those mixes out soon...

Not metal, but Alan Parsons' "On Air" is just amazing in 5.1/DTS. Or maybe I'm just biased because it was my first DTS CD way back when. It was a "written for 5.1 from the ground up" project, so really makes a good use of the format, even if slightly gimmick-y on occasion (sound effect pans across the rear speakers and the like -- but given the subject matter, it really doesn't seem out of place particularly)