Favorite band in each genre

There are tons of metal types. In Turkey some people including myself hate it. Because it's complicated and hard to remember what band in which type. So we just protest it with saying (if anyone asks us what type we listen):

-I just listen Atmospherical Dick Metal.

If I try to make a list here I'll probably suck so:

Atmospherical Dick Metal-All bands I love

(I know I sound like an idiot :) )

the_drip said:
wtf is with the obsession with Alban Berg...sure Wozzeck is fantastic but for some reason I highly doubt anybody here really has a true appreciation of serialism and 12 tone music. saying you listen to Alban Berg just sounds like name dropping.

"oooh, he likes Berg..he's high brow". ...seems really contrived.

cerealizm iz 4 nerdz.

Rock - Led Zeppelin

Progressive - Genesis (Peter Gabriel years)

Heavy Metal - Opeth

Death metal - Decapitated

Black Metal - Wolves in the Throne Room

Doom Metal - N/A

Folk Metal - Otyg

Power Metal - Hammers of Misfortune (not sure if they are, but who cares)

Dark/Goth Metal - N/A

the_drip said:
wtf is with the obsession with Alban Berg...sure Wozzeck is fantastic but for some reason I highly doubt anybody here really has a true appreciation of serialism and 12 tone music. saying you listen to Alban Berg just sounds like name dropping.

"oooh, he likes Berg..he's high brow". ...seems really contrived.

Nope. Trained in 20th century composition, and I like him best of the 2nd Viennese school. He was a bit more creative with his use of the tone row. People here probably like Wozzeck because it's kind of metal in its dark vibe. I actually enjoy his Kammerkonzert best (Boulez conducting).

But I do agree. I wasn't aware so many folks liked (or knew of) Berg.

Rock - Led Zeppelin

Progressive - N/A

Heavy Metal - Iron Maiden

Death metal - Suffocation

Black Metal - Emperor

Doom Metal - Candlemass

Folk Metal - Einherjer

Power Metal - N/A

Dark/Goth Metal - N/A

people might want to check out berg's lyric suite for string quartet. some good recordings of the work include the one by arditti quartet and one by kronos quartet. kronos quartet's recording is the first one to feature a soprano (dawn upshaw here) in the last movement. apparently berg had the intention to use a german translation of a poem by baudelaire, but this didn't make it to the final version. the person who made the discovery of what berg originally intended completed some of berg's unfinished manuscripts for the vocal score. it is at least interesting to have this version of the work as well. the combination of voice with string quartet of course brings to mind schoenberg's string quartet no.2, but i believe lyric suite may appeal to more people here.
i also recommend berg's string quartet op.3 and violin concerto ("to the memory of an angel"). the arditti quartet recording of the lyric suite also has the string quartet. a very good and moving recording of the concerto is by itzhak perlman with seiji ozawa conducting the boston symphony orchestra (this cd also features stravinsky's violin concerto and my favorite recording of ravel's marvelous tzigane).
deutsche grammophon has an 8 cd set of berg's complete works with excellent recordings for about 60 bucks. pretty nice.
i do have to say that i too am a little surprised that people here like wozzeck. i don't really find much interest in either lulu or wozzeck. my vinyl copies have been standing there unplayed for a very long time.

derbeder said:
people might want to check out berg's lyric suite for string quartet. some good recordings of the work include the one by arditti quartet and one by kronos quartet. kronos quartet's recording is the first one to feature a soprano (dawn upshaw here) in the last movement. apparently berg had the intention to use a german translation of a poem by baudelaire, but this didn't make it to the final version. the person who made the discovery of what berg originally intended completed some of berg's unfinished manuscripts for the vocal score. it is at least interesting to have this version of the work as well. the combination of voice with string quartet of course brings to mind schoenberg's string quartet no.2, but i believe lyric suite may appeal to more people here.
i also recommend berg's string quartet op.3 and violin concerto ("to the memory of an angel"). the arditti quartet recording of the lyric suite also has the string quartet. a very good and moving recording of the concerto is by itzhak perlman with seiji ozawa conducting the boston symphony orchestra (this cd also features stravinsky's violin concerto and my favorite recording of ravel's marvelous tzigane).
deutsche grammophon has an 8 cd set of berg's complete works with excellent recordings for about 60 bucks. pretty nice.
i do have to say that i too am a little surprised that people here like wozzeck. i don't really find much interest in either lulu or wozzeck. my vinyl copies have been standing there unplayed for a very long time.

Virtually everything I studied about Berg in college was in reference to the Lyric Suite or Lulu. I don't remember actually listening to either :erk: I have that Ozawa recording. Very nice indeed.

soundave said:
Nope. Trained in 20th century composition, and I like him best of the 2nd Viennese school. He was a bit more creative with his use of the tone row. People here probably like Wozzeck because it's kind of metal in its dark vibe. I actually enjoy his Kammerkonzert best (Boulez conducting).

But I do agree. I wasn't aware so many folks liked (or knew of) Berg.

I think it probably due to Narrot's constant plugging of Berg's name anytime someones talks abou tclassical music or "complex" music. Its not a bad thing I just have my doubts that people are naming him for actual personal reasons...and not just because it makes you sound smarter to claim your favorite composer was from the 2nd Viennese School.

the_drip said:
I think it probably due to Narrot's constant plugging of Berg's name anytime someones talks abou tclassical music or "complex" music. Its not a bad thing I just have my doubts that people are naming him for actual personal reasons...and not just because it makes you sound smarter to claim your favorite composer was from the 2nd Viennese School.

Maybe. I can only guess. BTW, my favorite isn't from the 2nd Viennese school at all.