Flying to Atlanta

dreamweaver80

New Metal Member
May 7, 2012
I need some advice from some more experienced flyers. I would be flying to Atlanta from Omaha, Nebraska, and the cheapest ticket I can find is about $360. Should I go ahead and grab a ticket at that price, or should I wait awhile to see if the price goes down? I also found a direct flight from Omaha to Atlanta for $395. Is a $35 price difference worth getting the direct flight?

I need some advice from some more experienced flyers. I would be flying to Atlanta from Omaha, Nebraska, and the cheapest ticket I can find is about $360. Should I go ahead and grab a ticket at that price, or should I wait awhile to see if the price goes down? I also found a direct flight from Omaha to Atlanta for $395. Is a $35 price difference worth getting the direct flight?

I don't know how often prices change for Omaha-Atlanta, but $35 extra is definitely worth it if you can get a direct flight.

Well, if you're willing to fly out of Kansas City you can get direct round trip on AirTran right now for $258.60 (leave on the 12th, return on the 16th). Is saving $100 worth the time/gas of a ~3 hr drive each way? Dunno...

I don't know how often prices change for Omaha-Atlanta, but $35 extra is definitely worth it if you can get a direct flight.

Seconded.

I don't have exact advice on Omaha - but I do keep an eye on Atlanta to Milwaukee (MKE). MKE is a hub for AirTran, so they fly there several times a day, and so does Delta, which matches their prices. Regular fare round-trip to MKE is right around $300, so that extra amount from a smaller airport appears to be reasonable.

While waiting is always an option, unless you time it right and get a sale (not that likely for Omaha), prices will only go up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Unfortunately, Kansas City is too far to make the savings worth it. I actually live in Kearney, Nebraska, which is about a 6 hour drive to KC, and 5 hours from Denver. Omaha is about a 2 1/2hour drive from here. I could fly out of Lincoln, but that's an extra $80 and not a direct flight.

Fly out of Omaha, and pay the $35. It's worth it.

All things considered, transportation to/from festival including flights (thank God it's Atlanta) is really not that expensive. Within Atlanta, the Marta is your best choice (the city tram/subway system). Cheap too.

Where are you staying?

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Unfortunately, Kansas City is too far to make the savings worth it. I actually live in Kearney, Nebraska, which is about a 6 hour drive to KC, and 5 hours from Denver. Omaha is about a 2 1/2hour drive from here. I could fly out of Lincoln, but that's an extra $80 and not a direct flight.

Ah, yeah, looks like limited options at best. You could do direct on Southwest out of Denver for ~$250 but again you're doubling your drive time to save ~$100 in airfare.

Seconded.

I don't have exact advice on Omaha - but I do keep an eye on Atlanta to Milwaukee (MKE). MKE is a hub for AirTran, so they fly there several times a day, and so does Delta, which matches their prices. Regular fare round-trip to MKE is right around $300, so that extra amount from a smaller airport appears to be reasonable.

While waiting is always an option, unless you time it right and get a sale (not that likely for Omaha), prices will only go up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

By the way just for future reference to all Airtran travelers, you are now actually flying on SOUTHWEST Airlines. Southwest bought Airtran and it became offical as of 2 Feb 2012, and guess what you get the SW perks as in NO CHARGE FOR LUGGAGE!!!! This is great, I can now fly El Paso to Atlanta on SW without having to go thru Dallas, now i go thru Austin which is a lot better.

By the way just for future reference to all Airtran travelers, you are now actually flying on SOUTHWEST Airlines. Southwest bought Airtran and it became offical as of 2 Feb 2012, and guess what you get the SW perks as in NO CHARGE FOR LUGGAGE!!!! This is great, I can now fly El Paso to Atlanta on SW without having to go thru Dallas, now i go thru Austin which is a lot better.

While that is accurate from the 30,000 feet perspective, is your luggage fee comment based on recent experience? The reason I ask is that I flew Airtran in April - and while I did not pay a luggage fee, because I had a business class ticket, I believe the fee structure was still there and active on the check-in website for Airtran. Can anyone confirm or deny?

While that is accurate from the 30,000 feet perspective, is your luggage fee comment based on recent experience? The reason I ask is that I flew Airtran in April - and while I did not pay a luggage fee, because I had a business class ticket, I believe the fee structure was still there and active on the check-in website for Airtran. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Direct quote from Airtran site:
Q: Will AirTran continue to charge for checked bags?
A: There will be no changes to the Customer Experience right away. As you know, AirTran charges $20 for the first checked bag, $25 for the second, and $50 for additional bags. Southwest does not charge a bag fee for the first or second checked bag. Upon full integration, it is our intent to have a consistent product offering without first and second bag fees. For now, the two airlines will continue to operate under their current guidelines and policies—independent from each other.

This intergration of services is expected to be complete by end of the second quarter(June 30) and that is from my friend and Southwest Station Manager at Phoenix Sky Harbor. So as it stands frrom their time table by Progpower Airtran will most likely be totally intergrated into Southwest and all planes will be SW branded and all customer services under one roof- hopefully.

Direct quote from Airtran site:
Q: Will AirTran continue to charge for checked bags?
A: There will be no changes to the Customer Experience right away. As you know, AirTran charges $20 for the first checked bag, $25 for the second, and $50 for additional bags. Southwest does not charge a bag fee for the first or second checked bag. Upon full integration, it is our intent to have a consistent product offering without first and second bag fees. For now, the two airlines will continue to operate under their current guidelines and policies—independent from each other.

The above is from a FAQ list from sometime in 2011.

This intergration of services is expected to be complete by end of the second quarter(June 30) and that is from my friend and Southwest Station Manager at Phoenix Sky Harbor. So as it stands frrom their time table by Progpower Airtran will most likely be totally intergrated into Southwest and all planes will be SW branded and all customer services under one roof- hopefully.

If it's a direct flight, definitely it is worth the extra $35. Think of not having to worry about catching a connecting flight and having your baggage transfer, etc.

I've been starting to price it out and believe it or not coming out of Rochester or Buffalo it is about that much for an 1.5 hour flight :( So for me, I'm waiting for a bit of a price drop.

I'll probably also check with my friend, who has a relative who works for Southwest.

Good stuff - thank you!

I don't know, J-man. I'm in the same boat. I could go down and leave from El Paso, but leaving from Albuquerque is about the same price on Southwest...450 to 464...but there is a non-stop on Delta from Alb to Atl for 489 right now. I'm hoping that goes down...but three hours in the air versus 7...totally worth 30 bucks extra to me, even with baggage fees!

I don't know, J-man. I'm in the same boat. I could go down and leave from El Paso, but leaving from Albuquerque is about the same price on Southwest...450 to 464...but there is a non-stop on Delta from Alb to Atl for 489 right now. I'm hoping that goes down...but three hours in the air versus 7...totally worth 30 bucks extra to me, even with baggage fees!

yeah it is ridiculous how expensive it is to fly from El Paso or Albq to Atlanta, you can fly from LA to Atlanta cheaper.

LAX to ATL on Airtran $360 all fee and taxes included
ELP to ATL on Delta $472 and then it goes up to a high of $661

right now Delta is the "cheapest" flying out from Rhode Island to Atlanta at $375 round trip. Southwest was $425 last I looked..waiting for prices to drop, that's too rich for my unemployed ass to spend on a flight!

Delta has a round trip from PHX to ATL for $325. I snagged that one up last week as it had previously been $360 a ticket. It's also a non-stop flight too.

I'm checking possible one-way flights from Las Vegas to Atlanta and I get a good price from Frontier Airlines. Never ever heard of them before today. Anyone knows them? Is it a good airline?