For those wondering about Powerwolf...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Fourth straight year of offering....fourth straight year of declining to hear an offer. Their focus remains overseas only.

One of the most requested bands remains a booking enigma.

I honestly can't imagine why a middle tier band like them (and I do not mean that as an insult at all) wouldn't at least hear about a chance to potentially break into the States.

So strange. I mean you look at Sabaton who was essentially in their position a number of years ago and now they've really hit a stride with the US, you'd think they'd come over.

I spoke to their booking guy recently. This was what he said:

basicly you need to cover all costs for the band

9 people from frankfurt germany

x_x

It really sucks, because I think they are one of the most original new power metal bands going. I'll continue to support them and hope I can see them one day!

Fourth straight year of offering....fourth straight year of declining to hear an offer. Their focus remains overseas only.

One of the most requested bands remains a booking enigma.

That sucks so much... and thank you so very hard for trying!

As we've mentioned before - Steve and I put in sponsorship bids in the past - and we'd sponsor them if you ever do snag them for the fest...

Just got their new CD.... sounds great. Too bad they don't think the US is worth visiting...

So strange. I mean you look at Sabaton who was essentially in their position a number of years ago and now they've really hit a stride with the US, you'd think they'd come over.
One differentiating factor is that Sabaton circa 2009 was made up of guys under 30, whereas the core members of Powerwolf are 35 - 42. They may be content to make good money in Europe and put the effort in where they know they'll get a paycheck, rather than be road warriors in both Europe AND America to hopefully break out over here.

It doesn't entirely explain why they would pass on the festival, since playing ProgPower seems like a paid vacation on a certain level, but it could explain why they aren't as interested in America as Sabaton was.

This just sucks....I have loved their last few cds....Thanks for trying Glenn. YOU RULE!

Bands that have half of a brain know damn well if you want to break out in the states, better play ProgPower USA. Sabaton knew it, and it's paid dividends. Glad to see them again next month!

Playing the fest is definitely a big deal for the band, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't pay off "in dividends". Sabaton probably is still losing money on their US tours and it's going to take years before they actually make a profit off of the US market (it's taken some bands up to a decade and that's after playing fests much bigger than Progpower). When you're in your 40s and have families, taking time out of your bread and butter market to build up a new audience could be costly. PureXul hit the nail on the head. Sabaton is a touring machine and can take the hit. Not every band can do that.

Look, the reality is that few are going to play for what amounts to be peanuts. The 30% that our Uncle Barack takes off the top every god damned show is enough to scare off some big acts. if you are getting maybe a $5-10K guarantee BEFORE Uncle Barack takes his cut, it does not leave much because the band must pay for transport, food, laundry, spare parts. Then what does that leave the band and its entourage? $100-200 a night tops? Never mind the Visa charges and airfare and merch purchase. Now, why were complaining about the reasons Powerwolf won't play here?

Look, the reality is that few are going to play for what amounts to be peanuts. The 30% that our Uncle Barack takes off the top every god damned show is enough to scare off some big acts. if you are getting maybe a $5-10K guarantee BEFORE Uncle Barack takes his cut, it does not leave much because the band must pay for transport, food, laundry, spare parts. Then what does that leave the band and its entourage? $100-200 a night tops? Never mind the Visa charges and airfare and merch purchase. Now, why were complaining about the reasons Powerwolf won't play here?

Because we were talking about a single festival appearance, not a tour?

PS - Nice personalization though. It's a known fact that Uncle Barack hates metal and personally approved the metal band touring tax.