From the WTF file: Viv Campbell reboots original Dio lineup

Solo albums usually are projects a member does between the regular duties and commitments of their current band. It sometimes announces that a band is having problems and will soon break up or lose members.

If "DIO" was a solo project he would have still continued making Black Sabbath albums along the way... or Rainbow.

He started another band and used his name. Members change.. crap happens. Times change and Heaven & Hell became his "side project" or 2nd band. How many members juggle bands to make a living nowadays?

Same thing goes for Ozzy. He started his own band and used his name.

KISS released 4 solo albums in 1978 then got right back together to record as KISS again... then of course broke apart not much longer.

What about The Alice Cooper Band?

The "cover band" debate is always fun to argue (in a friendly manner) but if a band decides to carry on - more power to them! Name change? Possibly, but if most of the members remain, why not keep it? It's easier to promote a known name that starting from scratch again.

Then there's the Tigertailz & LA Guns situations where there's 2 touring bands using the same name.

Jack Russel's Great White vs. Great White also springs to mind.

Steve Perry was not the first singer in Journey, so I find it amusing that people argue the "cover band" issue over them. A personal friend of mine does this all the time, then looked at me blankly as I reminded him Perry wasn't the first on the mic.

After seeing his blank face I hit him with AC/DC for the win.

The band back together is one thing, but to call themself Dio is another issue entirely. It is just WRONG! How many different ways does that need to be said? falsch, mal, sbagliato.
As for Journey; the difference was nothing from those first two albums was carried over into the Perry band or beyond. If so it was very early on. To most people besides Matt those albums don't exist it seems.

The band back together is one thing, but to call themself Dio is another issue entirely. It is just WRONG! How many different ways does that need to be said? falsch, mal, sbagliato.
As for Journey; the difference was nothing from those first two albums was carried over into the Perry band or beyond. If so it was very early on. To most people besides Matt those albums don't exist it seems.

I would agree if they end up calling themselves DIO.. I doubt that would happen. Call themselves Sacred Heart or something. Regardless if anyone is a fan of the early Journey albums pre-Perry (lol, say that out loud.. it's fun) the fact remains that he wasn't the first singer and kind of negates anyone's stance that no one should have replaced Steve in the band as the "original" singer. I actually like all the Journey singers. I took my daughter to see Journey/Foreigner/Night Ranger and it was a great show all around, although Foreigner (regardless that Jones is the only original member left and actually didn't play that night because he was ill) stole the show. I would not have wanted to follow them on stage.

first THREE albums, and yes i am the only one on this board who bought the remastered Japanese replica mini-lps of those albums. Journey nerd i am, hardcore.

and yes they will call themselves Holy Diver or something like that i doubt (and would hope) they don't try and use the Dio moniker. would be dumb on their part.

Having seen the first two Dio album tours at Atlanta Civic Center and the Omni back in the 80s, I can attest to the fact that Campbell was hard to work with. The negative energy on stage was obvious. And now we see he never liked metal anyway. I will label this a money grab, and in poor taste and with bad timing. In fact, I'd almost call it a snub directed at Dio. I know we all have to make a living, and I don't fault someone for working to that end, but this just seems too blatantly a sell out IMO.

I'm dreading the day someone starts talking about doing an on stage projection of Dio, ala Tupac, like they're talking about now with Freddy Mercury...

I suppose people still get worked up about this, but personally, if a good Dio cover band played near me, I'd probably see them. If a band featuring ⅘ of the musicians from The Last In Line played near me, I'd definitely see them.

I suppose people still get worked up about this, but personally, if a good Dio cover band played near me, I'd probably see them.
I would as well.

If a band featuring ⅘ of the musicians from The Last In Line played near me, I'd definitely see them.
And I guess for some folks it's just that simple. However, I can see where it's weird. People go to see a Dio tribute band to celebrate the music of Dio. However, if it's being performed by someone who Ronnie James despised... someone who he would never want performing such a tribute, than it becomes a tad strange.

And I guess for some folks it's just that simple. However, I can see where it's weird. People go to see a Dio tribute band to celebrate the music of Dio. However, if it's being performed by someone who Ronnie James despised... someone who he would never want performing such a tribute, than it becomes a tad strange.

Agreed. After seeing right in front of me the onstage tension between Dio and Campbell, I think that alone would keep me from checking out Campbell's 'Dio tribute'.

Vivian Campbell has cancer and is fighting that, I do not think he will be doing this project anytime soon and if he did I wouldn't want to see it without RJD.

Bear

Vivian Campbell has cancer and is fighting that, I do not think he will be doing this project anytime soon and if he did I wouldn't want to see it without RJD.

Bear

As of yesterday he said he's coming thru it so far so good, approx 80-85% success rate of healing. Alot better odds than pancreatic etc cancer.

Bear

As for me, as a huge DIO fan, I'd see this (as I'd see Dio Disciples) just to hear these great songs again, even though Ronnie would be REALLY missed of course...

Per Classic Rock Magazine website:

Dio offshoot band Last In Line will play most of the band’s first two albums but not much of third release Sacred Heart – because the material carries too many bad memories.

Guitarist Vivian Campbell, now with Def Leppard, last week told Classic Rock he aimed to reclaim his heritage by playing songs he co-wrote for the first time since being sacked by Ronnie James Dio in 1986.

But he’s not ready to extend that to the album he was touring at the time he was fired.

Campbell tells Talking Metal of their setlist: “We haven’t completely finalised it yet, but it’s basically going to pick itself.

“There are only nine songs on Holy Diver and I think there’s only nine songs on the The Last In Line album.

“The Sacred Heart album was very difficult for us all – that’s when things really started to go wrong with the band. No one wanted to be in the studio with Ronnie.

“We would literally just come in and do our parts; we wouldn’t really hang, whereas with Holy Diver and Last In Line we were in the studio 24-7 and everyone was committed to making those records.

“So the Sacred Heart record, we don’t look upon it as favourably. We probably won’t play too much from that.”

While Campbell and bandmates Vinnie Appice, Jimmy Bain and Claude Schnell used to perform some Black Sabbath and Rainbow tracks with Dio, the guitarist feels it wouldn’t be appropriate now they’re working with singer Andy Freeman.

“I don’t think it would be legitimate for us to do that,” says Campbell. “The original Dio band played Man On The Silver Mountain, Stargazer, Long Live Rockn’Roll, Mob Rules, Heaven And Hell and Children Of The Sea. Those were legitimate enough for us to do because Ronnie was there and he’d been in those bands.

“But without Ronnie there, I don’t think it’s very legitimate to play Sabbath or Rainbow songs, so we won’t be doing that.”

Last In Line’s debut tour takes place in the UK next month, but the band have added a warm-up show at Slidebar in Fullarton, California on August 3.

Last In Line UK tour

Aug 8: Belfast Limelight
Aug 9: Glasgow Cathouse
Aug 10: Bloodstock festival
Aug 11: London Islington Academy

I'm with you Bear. I get that he has a right to play them, as they are his songs as much as they are Ronnie's. It jut feels totally inappropriate given the circumstances surrounding all of this.

Yep specially after how Vivian has spoken about RJD over the years and I could have sworn that VC said that he was not a metal guitarist?!?!?! Very contradictory to my ears

Bear