GAMMA RAY in New York City -- post reviews please

Magius said:
Into Eternity: Once again, is it just me? Everytime I hear this band they sound like a totally disorganized cacophony of Metal sounds. It's like 5 musicians practicing their instruments on 5 different songs in the same room at the same time. Of course the Mosh Pit had to be going for their entire set too. I guess they were okay if you like them, but I just don't get IE.

Could be just you, could be the sound guy, could just be their style of music. It isn't for everyone. I find the rising and falling of the various vocals styles along with layering of guitar parts to be rich in energy and emotion. To some, I guess it's just noise. But then I know lots of people that say that about all metal. :headbang: I must say, they weren't quite as tight and the sound wasn't quite as full without Rob.

I didn't see any moshing at B.B. King's. Was there any? Security can be brutal there, so probably not.

noodlesatf said:
I don't think the soundman at Jaxx knows what to do with them. I saw them soundcheck at Nevermore, and before they turned on the PA, they sounded amazing. There is so much going on, you really have to have the mix perfect, or it turns into muddled garbage. Earplugs are a must when listening to this band, because it cuts down on all that reverb and background noise from the room. Still, I can understand why people wouldn't like them, because they are all over the place.

That could be it.

AngraRULES said:
It's probably just you. LOL

That could be it too.

AngraRULES said:
Here's the thing with IE. You gotta get into the album first, then the live show. The other way around won't work.

Eh, I love their latest album and they've yet to impress me live. I've seen them three times now.

I know they're "your boys", but I can understand why somebody may think they're not a "great" live band.

But yes, I'm certain the sound guy has something to do with it too. They can't be that bad, that muddy.

YtseJammer said:
Eh, I love their latest album and they've yet to impress me live. I've seen them three times now.

I know they're "your boys", but I can understand why somebody may think they're not a "great" live band.

But yes, I'm certain the sound guy has something to do with it too. They can't be that bad, that muddy.

I totally understand and agree. They still have to get tighter live.

But ever heard how you can't really talk shit about "Family"? So... hahaha

AngraRULES said:
I totally understand and agree. They still have to get tighter live.

It would help if they could keep the same line-up together. :lol: I enjoyed their performance, but I'm extremely familiar with the material. Rob's vox were missed, but the guitar parts were executed very well. However, that band would be challenging for most soundmen, so I've really heard them only have good sound once, when I saw them at ProgPower. If they don't have good sound, they can degenerate into cacophany very easily.

AMBR said:
I didn't see any moshing at B.B. King's. Was there any? Security can be brutal there, so probably not.

Yes, there was moshing, which is why I was standing farther back. I'm not built to survive a mosh pit. :D

I saw IE for the first time at ProgPower, and 2 times since at BB King's. They are not really my cup of tazo, but with that said, the sound at BB King's can be dicey at times, and I think that IE suffers at that venue because of that.

Steph