Gamma Ray - Land of the Free II CD

The new Gamma Ray could have 1/10 the production of new Helloween and still kick Helloween's butt. Helloween starts off with a bang and then loses steam about half way through. LOTR II is a excellent release all the way through.

Is that right? Listen to the new HELLOWEEN album "Gambling with the Devil" then listen to GAMMA RAY's "LotF II" immediately after. The evidence should be obvious about the horrible production/mix on "LotF II".

Im going to listen again, and you couldn't pay me to listen to a Helloween album :lol:

-edit

do you hate Gamma Ray or something!? I can hear the snare fine and I dont hear anything wrong with the production...

Im going to listen again, and you couldn't pay me to listen to a Helloween album :lol:

-edit

do you hate Gamma Ray or something!? I can hear the snare fine and I dont hear anything wrong with the production...

If that's the case, your missing out on some killer cds, "The Dark Ride", "Rabbit Don't Come Easy", "Better Than Raw", & "Gambling With The Devil."

Production aside, based on songs "LotF II" beats "Gambling With The Devil" hands down, IMO.

To me, Gambling With The Devil was WAY catchier and I went in to it skeptical and not expecting to like it whereas I went into Gamma Ray expecting to like it and both turned out opposite.

On inital listen I'd agree with you. However, after 3 to 5 listens of each I saw things differently. The Gamma Ray grew on me, and the Helloween became typical happy cheese.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Gamma Ray. They slayed at PPUSA III.

Land of the Free II, the latest from Kai and company, is pretty darn good. I don't think the production is bad at all. At a low volume, it isn't as crisp as I like my CDs to be. But crank it up and it rings out loud and proud. The songs are upbeat, fun to listen to, and air-guitar friendly. I'm sure they'll be a blast to see performed live.

Production-wise, I think Helloween's latest, Gambling With the Devil, is no better than Land of the Free II. Singer Andi Deris reminds me of Halford when he hits those piercing notes. But I prefer Kai's voice. And the songs on Gambling aren't grabbing me as quickly as those on Land.

Listening to these CDs back to back borders on German power-metal overload. They're so similar in style that it's hard to tell them apart.

I think I have to give the nod to Gamma Ray, though. I find myself returning to Gamma Ray more often than Helloween.

But, you know what? We can't lose. Seeing both of these bands on stage in the same night is going to be an unforgettable experience!