"Glorious" soccer tribute w/ Stratovarius, Edguy, Primal Fear + more

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
More guest musicians have been confirmed to take part in the recording of the song "Glorious", which was written for the upcoming soccer world championship by former HELLOWEEN and current MASTERPLAN drummer Uli Kusch along with Ronny Milianowicz (DIONYSUS) and Joacim Cans (HAMMERFALL). The track will feature Swedish singer Mikeyla as the main vocalist, with special guest appearances by Ralf Scheepers (PRIMAL FEAR), Tobias Sammet (EDGUY), Roland Grapow (MASTERPLAN), Oscar Dronjak (HAMMERFALL), Timo Kotipelto (STRATOVARIUS), Nils Kvale (PAGAN'S MIND), Victor Broden (LEANN RIMES), "Metal" Mike Chlasciak (HALFORD, PAINMUSEUM), and Hempo Hilden (JOHN NORUM, GLENN HUGHES). The production is taking place in Sweden April 24-25.

According to Kusch, "'Glorious' is meant to be a song about setting aside your political views, religious beliefs for only one day and stop[ping] the world from turning in something stronger than anything else: football! No matter if you play heavy metal music, pop or rock, we will find a way to unite through this song."
-----

This sounds amazing. I cannot wait to hear it.

This project sounds very interesting. Can't wait for the World Cup this summer. The everlasting debate goes on: should it be called soccer or football? Ah.. the language contrast. I'm a huge NFL, college U.S. football fan, but I think the name soccer should disappear once and for all. It's football. In spanish no problem with it: fútbol.

Funny... I've never heard of any metal bands doing a "Football Tribute" song... (however this Glorious song is about real football =) ). In fact, I don't think there'll be ever one. :lol:

Football (soccer for some) is amazing! The world cup is the most watched sports event in history and it's always the same way. I can't wait for it! Already requested my days off in order to see Brazil (Oh yeah baby here we go again) bring another cup home! =)

urayoan said:
The everlasting debate goes on: should it be called soccer or football?

If only the Americans back in the day were creative and didn't see the need to "steal" the name from another sport...

AngraRULES said:
Funny... I've never heard of any metal bands doing a "Football Tribute" song... (however this Glorious song is about real football =) ). In fact, I don't think there'll be ever one. :lol:

Football (soccer for some) is amazing! The world cup is the most watched sports event in history and it's always the same way. I can't wait for it! Already requested my days off in order to see Brazil (Oh yeah baby here we go again) bring another cup home! =)

Vanden Plas recorded a song for their local team.. The name of the team escapes me right now..

Angrafan said:
Vanden Plas recorded a song for their local team.. The name of the team escapes me right now..

Who cares.... LOL

I'm just joking, wasn't aware of it. If it's Vanden Plas, then it's good...

urayoan said:
The everlasting debate goes on: should it be called soccer or football?

I actually read somewhere that "soccer" is actually an English, rather than American term. It is a corruption of the word "association", which was used together with the word football to distinguish "association football" (or "soccer football") from "rugby football". I don't know if this was entirely accurate, but it was definitely in the US that the word "soccer" was popularized.

Anyway, back to the subject. The project is awesome and I'm really looking forward to it.

Remember that video of Hammerfall playing curling?

Jurakan said:
I actually read somewhere that "soccer" is actually an English, rather than American term. It is a corruption of the word "association", which was used together with the word football to distinguish "association football" (or "soccer football") from "rugby football". I don't know if this was entirely accurate, but it was definitely in the US that the word "soccer" was popularized.

Then... DAMN BRITISH who invent something but can't even name it!

And DAMN US which popularized the soccer name! lol

AngraRULES said:
And DAMN US which popularized the soccer name! lol

Well, it's actualy really "popular" in the US only...

To add to the confusion, in Puerto Rico we also call it "balompié". I think we are the only ones in Latin America that call it that.

Jurakan said:

To add to the confusion, in Puerto Rico we also call it "balompié". I think we are the only ones in Latin America that call it that.

balompie? LOL I find "baloncesto" to be hilarious... Balompie is even funnier! LOL

Jurakan said:

I think you're right. It's the only place I've heard the word "balompié". But then again, we have done so many contributions to the sport...:lol:

Hail to AngraFan! The USA has a tough row to hoe what with Ghana, Italy, and Czech Republic in our Group. I think we'll need 2 wins there to advance.