"Glorious" soccer tribute w/ Stratovarius, Edguy, Primal Fear + more

urayoan said:
Good info. I think Laborde did a great job in this cycle. Mexico had an unbelievable display in the last World Cup. Nobody expected that. I think they're in to something there. I was surprised they let Cuachtemoc Blanco out of the formula.

They're quickly becoming one of the toughest forces in soccer. The USA is getting a lot better too, however I still don't think they deserve to be ranked #5 in the world (not that the FIFA Ranking means anything really).

Mexico has a very good chance of making it to the quarterfinals at least. However, they would cross with the 1st or 2nd seeded in the Death Group (C) which will most likely be Argentina and Holland. And if that becomes a reality, we may see them coming back home earlier than expected.

Ok, this is the way I have it, and I'm backing it up with BEER at PP. :kickass:

You will see I DO believe in upsets.

Group A: Germany & Costa Rica (I’m partial towards Latin America)
Group B: Sweden & England (Paraguay is one of my favorites, but struggled in the qualifier)
Group C: Argentina & Serbia-Montenegro (This is "the Group of Death" imo)
Group D: Mexico & Iran (I think Portugal's group in Europe was WEAK)
Group E: Italy and Czech Rep.
Group F: Brazil & Croatia (Japan may surprise, but my beer is with the Slavs)
Group G: Korea & France
Group H: Spain & Tunisia

Group H is imo the most "interesting" group, but it doesn't have that "death" feel to it. Ukraine certainly looked better than Spain judging from the qualifier standings, so I’m going with gut feel (they’re also “my” team). Tunisia has been at this level before, unlike the other squads from Africa, so I give them the best chance. Winning in groups with mighty Cameroon or Nigeria ain’t easy, but you can't simply factor out the experience out of the equation (sorry Côte d'Ivoire and Angola). Finally, Saudi Arabia was the only undefeated team in Asia, not to mention a +9 goal differential.

My “sweet 16” predictions will be coming soon…

Jurakan said:
Ok, this is the way I have it, and I'm backing it up with BEER at PP. :kickass:

You will see I DO believe in upsets.

Group A: Germany & Costa Rica (I’m partial towards Latin America)
Group B: Sweden & England (Paraguay is one of my favorites, but struggled in the qualifier)
Group C: Argentina & Serbia-Montenegro (This is "the Group of Death" imo)
Group D: Mexico & Iran (I think Portugal's group in Europe was WEAK)
Group E: Italy and Czech Rep.
Group F: Brazil & Croatia (Japan may surprise, but my beer is with the Slavs)
Group G: Korea & France
Group H: Spain & Tunisia

Group H is imo the most "interesting" group, but it doesn't have that "death" feel to it. Ukraine certainly looked better than Spain judging from the qualifier standings, so I’m going with gut feel (they’re also “my” team). Tunisia has been at this level before, unlike the other squads from Africa, so I give them the best chance. Winning in groups with mighty Cameroon or Nigeria ain’t easy, but you can't simply factor out the experience out of the equation (sorry Côte d'Ivoire and Angola). Finally, Saudi Arabia was the only undefeated team in Asia, not to mention a +9 goal differential.

My “sweet 16” predictions will be coming soon…

Here are my choices for the first round, it's gonna be a wild ride...

Group A: Costa Rica, Germany
Group B: England, Sweeden
Group C: Argentina (DIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEGGGGGGGOOOOO), Côte d'Ivorie (I love upsets)
Group D: Mexico (my guys, con todos los hierros TRICOLOR), Portugal (the Scolari factor will play important)
Group E: Ghana, USA
Group F: Brasil, Japan
Group G: Switzerland, France
Group H: Here I Go Again... Saudi Arabia, Tunisia:headbang:

Coming soon, 2nd round ...

Achilles Aetanius said:
i see youre not a fan of upsets huh? dont forget who placed 3rd and 4th in 2002.......Turkey (my favorite team and damn you Switzerland), and South Korea.

sure the Koreans got real "lucky" with the refs, but under Hiddink they played like a team possessed.

oh and i see you haven't included any African teams either. hmmm. lets look at some of the best up and coming players and where they come from: Essien, Drogba, Bonaventure.....so on and so forth. NICE PICKS THOUGH.
Gotta love those Turks. Damn shame they're not in it this year! Go USA! I can accept us losing to Italy, but it is unthinkable IMO that we could lose to Ghana or do worse than a tie with the Czechs.

TheGraveDigger said:
According to Kusch, "'Glorious' is meant to be a song about setting aside your political views, religious beliefs for only one day and stop[ping] the world from turning in something stronger than anything else: football! No matter if you play heavy metal music, pop or rock, we will find a way to unite through this song."

Kinda going back to the original subject, has anyone heard anything else about the project? I've found very little info beyond the original post.

7thSaviour said:
We have the MLS here in America. Not bad, but hardly the EPL.:err: :rolleyes:

You talk like the EPL is a great league with outstanding soccer skills. Great players play on it, but you have to admit that there's only 5 or so good teams. The rest are pitifully bad. If you wanna see a fucking kick ass league, I recommend Spain's, Brazil's and Italy's.

AngraRULES said:
You talk like the EPL is a great league with outstanding soccer skills. Great players play on it, but you have to admit that there's only 5 or so good teams. The rest are pitifully bad. If you wanna see a fucking kick ass league, I recommend Spain's, Brazil's and Italy's.
Yeah, so would I. I even like Germany's and Argentina's top leagues.:kickass:

urayoan said:
This project sounds very interesting. Can't wait for the World Cup this summer. The everlasting debate goes on: should it be called soccer or football? Ah.. the language contrast. I'm a huge NFL, college U.S. football fan, but I think the name soccer should disappear once and for all. It's football. In spanish no problem with it: fútbol.

Why's that a problem? Calling the sport anything but soccer would almost put a generic label on it IMO. Not that I'm a huge soccer fan by any stretch, but it would confuse things in the states especially. In my eyes, soccer has gained tremendous ground throughout the 90s and into the 2000s. I remember when I played baseball in high school, our county only had one soccer team. Nowadays, each high school has a team, and basically is considered having an incomplete athletic program if they don't! The sport has grown by leaps and bounds in the states within recent years, so let's not put a confusing/generic label on it now. Just my opinion though.:erk:

edgeofthorns said:
Why's that a problem? Calling the sport anything but soccer would almost put a generic label on it IMO. Not that I'm a huge soccer fan by any stretch, but it would confuse things in the states especially. In my eyes, soccer has gained tremendous ground throughout the 90s and into the 2000s. I remember when I played baseball in high school, our county only had one soccer team. Nowadays, each high school has a team, and basically is considered having an incomplete athletic program if they don't! The sport has grown by leaps and bounds in the states within recent years, so let's not put a confusing/generic label on it now. Just my opinion though.:erk:
It's soccer in the USA!:headbang:

AngraRULES said:

I agree wholeheartedly (pitiful? well Boro are still in UEFA cup and they technically are "pitiful". not many people realize brazil's talented youngsters coming through the ranks.

Serie A is where its at: FORZA JUVE! (Arsenal wanted to win more thats all)

Of course someone from Brazil should be on it.
Have anyone heard the song Angra did for the Brazilian national team in the last world cup?

And is anyone gonna watch the Champions Cup final between Arsenal x Barcelona?