GMD Votes: Top 10 Traditional/Doom albums

not really sure what you mean by barroom-rock-band or how you could justify applying that label to anything other than 'feeling free again'. obviously there's a strong '70s flavour running through it and it's on the soft end of the metal spectrum, but i kinda wish that was the case for more metal bands tbh - as a general rule i prefer hypnotic, ethereal, reflective metal to the all guns blazing kinda stuff (although if there's one USPM band i do like more than manilla road it's probably jag panzer, so maybe i'm full of shit there).

even if you don't, i'm genuinely curious about why some people seem to hate manilla road so much. i get why shelton's somewhat old school crooning would be offputting for some but other than that...? there's just too much in common with other widely loved bands for there to be such a deviation in how the same people react to both. they don't sound exactly like, say, omen or brocas helm, but they're obviously in the same kind of ballpark stylistically speaking. just doesn't make sense to me to love those and *hate* the 'road or consider them a joke or w/e.

It's upbeat but I barely get a hypnotic/ethereal feeling at all from it; The Veils of Negative Existence is about it on that front. It sounds like the transition of a boring rock band into USPM. Crystal Logic's main riff (in the first half) has a very boogie feel, The Ram kinda resembles 70s Priest in its riff except in its extreme simplicity and overly-happy progression, skip the Angel Witch ripoff parts and Dreams of Eschaton is also fruity as hell, etc. The song structures are also really predictable, songs beginning in similar ways, if it has a real riff it will almost certainly lose it in the chorus, etc. It sounds like a bad, amateur knock-off compared to Brocas Helm or Omen. Maybe it's because they were isolated and didn't live in a state like California with dozens of inspired bands popping up, I dunno.

i don't think achieving what you set out to do with each song is praiseworthy in and of itself - some goals are modest or downright misguided in context.

I guess if you had some really low goal then it wouldn't be praiseworthy, but if the goal is worthwhile, then yes, I think accomplishing your goal is the fairest measure of success. Sabbath pretty much always aimed high, so I stand by my statement.

but anyway. i always found 'electric funeral' kind of cartoonish and 'planet caravan' is just too relaxed for my tastes (while sober anyway), but sure, i get their appeal. i have no intention of shitting on any sabbath, and i do actually think objectively speaking PARANOID may be their best album - i'm just stating why they weren't higher for me (i had PARANOID 6th for the record). i do dispute that a generic jam like 'rat salad' is worthy of such high praise though.

You're gonna critique Electric Funeral for being "cartoonish" and have Manilla Road at #2? That I don't get...

after forever is awesome. its not preachy, just a song to get god botherers off their back for perceived satanic leanings. riff wise, its one of their best.

changes ruins vol. 4. remove it and the albums value goes up.

fairies wear boots is the best on paranoid

Regardless of the motive behind the song, After Forever is preachy. That's not up for debate. The song is about how Jesus is the only salvation.

As for Vol. 4, of the first 6 Sabbath records it's the one that engages me the least.

1. Mercyful Fate- Don't Break the Oath
2. Pagan Altar- Volume 1
3. Manilla Road- Crystal Logic
4. Candlemass- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
5. Black Sabbath- Master of Reality
6. Satan- Court in the Act
7. Black Sabbath- Paranoid
8. Judas Priest- Sad Wings of Destiny
9. Trouble- Psalm 9
10. Fates Warning- Awaken the Guardian

Ranking a pre-approved top ten? I'm lazy, and I'm in, this is wonderful. Whether I agree or not is irrelevant, you have done most of the work for me and for that you have my thanks.

1. Trouble- Psalm 9
2. Candlemass- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
3. Fates Warning- Awaken the Guardian
4. Black Sabbath- Paranoid
5. Black Sabbath- Master of Reality
6. Pagan Altar- Volume 1
7. Judas Priest- Sad Wings of Destiny
8. Mercyful Fate- Don't Break the Oath
9. Manilla Road- Crystal Logic
10. Satan- Court in the Act

i think V4 has more songs that would make my sabbath top 10 than any other record (wheels of confusion, snowblind, cornucopia & under the sun are all incredible) but there's plenty of skippables in there so i get why people rank it low. my favourite sustained run of sabbath songs is the s/t A-side though

You're gonna critique Electric Funeral for being "cartoonish" and have Manilla Road at #2? That I don't get...

it's a context thing for me, manilla road's goofy b-movie kinda naivete is integral to their appeal, i don't think it suits apocalyptic cold war paranoia so much. id actually forgotten how much i like the main riff and verses though, it's more the climactic faster section that doesn't do it for me.

1) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2) Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
3) Trouble - Psalm 9
4) Satan - Court In The Act
5) Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
6) Pagan Altar - Volume 1
7) Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
8) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
9) Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
10) Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

edit: re VOL 4 - Under the Sun(which samples DP's Flight of the Rat ;)) is one of their best tracks. Changes is the only skippable track on that album imo.

1.) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
2.) Pagan Altar - Vol 1
3.) Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny *liked this a lot more than i remembered
4.) Black Sabbath - Paranoid
5.) Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
6.) Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality
7.) Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
8.) Satan - Court in the Act
9.) Trouble - Psalm 9
10.) Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

1.) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath

280.gif