Good news for Savatage fans

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah yeah Blabbermouth repost :(
I'm not a huge Savatage fan but even I think this is great news....absolutely killer record.

JON OLIVA'S PAIN, the Florida-based band led by SAVATAGE mastermind Jon Oliva, will play SAVATAGE's classic 1987 album, "Hall Of The Mountain King", in its entirety at next year's Bang Your Head!!! festival, set to take place July 13-14, 2012 in Balingen, Germany. Joining JON OLIVA'S PAIN for the "Hall" 25th-anniversary performance will be Oliva's SAVATAGE bandmate Chris Caffery. Caffery and JON OLIVA'S PAIN are also expected to play several songs from DOCTOR BUTCHER, the early 1990s project created by Oliva and Caffery at a time when they were not active members of SAVATAGE.

"Hall Of The Mountain King" was the first SAVATAGE album to be produced by Paul O'Neill and it showed the beginning of the band's progressive tendencies as they explored new forms of expression in their music. Many fans consider this LP a turning point in SAVATAGE's musical identity. As the group's first concept effort, it had a constant tone and was more complex than their previous albums, with two entirely instrumental tracks that go beyond simple guitar riffs and solos, namely "Prelude To Madness" and "Last Dawn".

As previously reported, Caffery will join CIRCLE II CIRCLE — the band led by former SAVATAGE frontman Zak Stevens — for a performance of the classic 1997 SAVATAGE album "The Wake Of Magellan" (which featured both Stevens and Caffery) in its entirety at next year's edition of the Wacken Open Air festival, set to take place August 2-4, 2012 in Wacken, Germany.

Ok....I'm sure these festivals have offered both CIIC and JOP nice paydays to do this, but this doesn't help us Amerian fans out too much. Unless there's plans for both of these bands to actually release DVDs. :erk:

~Brian~

I highly recommend this festival. It's much smaller that Wacken or Sweden Rock, but it is therefor much more manageable. You actually can see ALL the bands. Also, the village of Baligen is right next to the festival and an easy walk. No shuttles or buses needed. The most memorable event of our trip there, was Dio closing the fest and the entire crowd singing long after he left the stage, keeping it up all the way into town. Was really awesome.

They also have a phenomenal "pre-fest" party the night before. I would love to go to Bang Your Head again. This announcement may just do it.

Local Florida show for sure!
Always a great chance to grease
the wheels and fine tune things
before hopping the pond.

:headbang:

You guys should try to play Jannus. If you are going to play HOTMK, I think you could fill that place. Can't wait to see you guys again!

Kong, please keep us in the loop on any FL shows. THAT I can make. I don't think I'm going to be able to do any Europe anything this year unfortunately.

Ah '87.... the year I got into Metal. This was the 3rd metal album that I ever bought and not knowing anything about the band and the music, I had bought it because of the album cover! It'll be an amazing show, such a killer album!

Looking at the my first 3 albums, Dio (Dream Evil), Iron Maiden (Somewhere in time) and this, I was destined to be a progpower fan :)

Man it's been 25 years :guh: