Great music, sh*tty band name

Metalmilitia2000

UM's Resident Asshole
Apr 22, 2003
Maplewood, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
This might turn into an interesting thread, as I just thought about this and it made me chuckle. Name some bands that you are a fan of that have a TERRIBLE band name, but awesome music.

For me, my number one:

Goatfuneral. They are straight up Norwegian style black metal, (which I LOVE) but a goddamn terrible name. I laugh every time I hear it, and manage to do so while banging my head.

Rumpelstiltskin Grinder. I love this band. They are great on cd and live, but what the fuck? Did they all get just hammered one night and dry hump a fairy tale? That's the only way I can figure that they came up with this name.

Sausage. Basically, the original members of Primus (Les Claypool, Todd Huth, and Jay Lane) got together in 1994, during some Primus down time, and reunited under this moniker and released one album. It's like Primus (although I think the band had a lot more going for it with LaLonde in the guitarists seat, but I digress), but noticeably different. They should have found a band named Eggs, and another named Bacon, and went on tour as a traveling festival called BreakfEst.

Pink Cream 69. You all know them, so I'm not going to describe them. I love their music, but come on... what the fuck? Haha, I have NEVER understood this band name, and probably never would. The band themselves could explain it to me and i would just sit there with a Homeresqe stare on my face, drooling and talking some gibberish about 64 slices of American (or in this case, German) cheese.

I'm interested to hear other thoughts as well.

I discovered Manimal through Glenn's "best of" post for 2009. Love their debut album from front to back, but I can't stand the band's name. I feel foolish whenever mentioning it to someone to check out.

[edit] lol Zod, I see I am not alone

I've always wondered what the hell Edguy was based off of.. I mean.. did they know a guy named Ed? Was he a mandrake? Did he cry?

Yea, Edguy is from an old teacher they had. The Lord Weird Slough Feg has always made me laugh too, forgot about that one. Pretty Maids, I'm not really a fan of, but yea, the name is terrible. I've only heard of Manimal, never heard their music, but yea, that's horrible...

Fairyland

I don't understand why so many people hate this band's name. Perception of fairies differs in different cultures. Seems like especially in France, fairies are regarded way differently than how they are regarded here. For example, Neige from Alcest has described the inspiration of his music as having come from a fairyland. Here, we immediately associate it with femininity, but I think it's ignorant to say it's a shitty name just because of cultural boundary. If it was a language barrier issue (like the band Enemyisus), then it's a different story.

For me, Cradle Of Filth. Such a stupid band name, but a (mostly) great band.

Steel Seal.

I remember when Locust picked up his copy a couple years ago and thought it was the perfect band for him.

I don't understand why so many people hate this band's name. Perception of fairies differs in different cultures. Seems like especially in France, fairies are regarded way differently than how they are regarded here. For example, Neige from Alcest has described the inspiration of his music as having come from a fairyland. Here, we immediately associate it with femininity, but I think it's ignorant to say it's a shitty name just because of cultural boundary. If it was a language barrier issue (like the band Enemyisus), then it's a different story.

Fairyland is at least descriptive of what they are. In that regard, I have no problem with the name.