Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

It's not re-amped, I can hear the un-crossfaded splits in the solo'd takes which means they definitely used the mic'd signal.

This.
The only real problem I have with the production on BCSL is that its a bit over-compressed. Everything else about it sounds great. The guitar sounds pretty fucking massive, especially the lead tone. it cuts through really well. Don't know why anyone would complain about it... Sure its not my favorite kind of tone, but it fits the songs perfectly. And I'm pretty sure all the drums are completely natural. No sampling. Portnoy HATES sampling. If I remember correctly, the only albums with sampled drums are I&W and Awake.

And I'm pretty sure all the drums are completely natural. No sampling. Portnoy HATES sampling. If I remember correctly, the only albums with sampled drums are I&W and Awake.

That may be true, but those are most def samples otherwise that's the worst "real" kick and snare I've ever heard.

As for the reamping, it definitely sounds that way, but I'm no expert on guitar tones.

Hey, Glenn,

Just to touch on what I brought up: we are on the same page about the "very vocal" opinions of online Dream Theater bashers. I'm well aware of the fact that people post these kinds of comments all over the internet and not just on this forum. I only mentioned this forum because it's the only one on which I post outside of the Katagory V forum.

That said, let the discussion about the technical side of recording continue.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert