Guilty Pleasures etc.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Anybody like Boston?

Sure! I bought the first Boston album when it was released. I loved it. I still think its the best Boston album. In the late 70s I was into Boston, Kansas ans Styx.

My favorite of those 3 was and still is Kansas. Their albums from "Kansas" to "Point Of Know Return" are fantastic. I got to know them in 1977.

But Boston, yea great band. I don't like their later releases much though. Btw I am somewhat of a 70s hard-rock freak :) So you can trow more of those bands at me.

Fave REO albums:
You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
Nine Lives
Live - You Get What You Play For
Hi Infidelity

I love the first Boston album and the secind one was good...after that I lost interest. Maybe if they would have have put out something more than once a decade, they would have kept my interest. Kansas rules.

TheWhisper said:
Fave REO albums:
You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
Nine Lives
Hi Infidelity
That's my perfect REO list right there! I adore those three albums and still listen to them regularly. Before I got bit by the metal bug in 1982, my favorite bands were Styx, REO, and the Eagles. What kind of country/americana do you listen to, Whisper? Tift Merritt? Kathleen Edwards? Allison Moorer? Kasey Chambers?

Hey Hawk, if you like that old 70s stuff, and you liked Styx. You didn't let the new Wooden Nickel Recordings slip by did you? If it wasn't a re-release, this album would have landed in my top-5 of the year. It's the first four Styx albums remastered and put in a two-disc set. Most people have no idea just how heavy Styx was back in those days.

NP: Leave's Eyes - Vinland Saga

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Hey Hawk, if you like that old 70s stuff, and you liked Styx. You didn't let the new Wooden Nickel Recordings slip by did you? If it wasn't a re-release, this album would have landed in my top-5 of the year. It's the first four Styx albums remastered and put in a two-disc set. Most people have no idea just how heavy Styx was back in those days.

NP: Leave's Eyes - Vinland Saga

I did not let it slip by buddy. Don't worry :)

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
What kind of country/americana do you listen to, Whisper? Tift Merritt? Kathleen Edwards? Allison Moorer? Kasey Chambers?
I absolutely adore Allison Moorer, Kasey Chambers, and my all time fave female singer is Emmylou Harris.:worship: I also like a lot of the Texas singer/songwriters.

Joe Ely
Robert Earl Keen
Jimmy Dale Gilmore
Reckless Kelly
Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash
Rodney Crowell
Nancy Griffith
Billy Joe Shaver
Cross Canadian Ragweed
...to name a few.

TheWhisper said:
Actually, my first real rock concert was Foreigner, with Blackfoot opening, on the 'Head Games Tour'. I was in 9th grade and one of my best friends had an older sister who took us. She and her boyfriend also took us to see Van Halen on the 'Women & Children First Tour'. I still think Lou Gramm was one of the best singers I ever heard. He was in band called Black Sheep, prior to Foreigner, that put out a couple of albums on Capitol..

First REAL rock concert - AC/DC Highway to Hell Tour in 1979, with The Pat Travers Band opening.....o_O It was at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, I was like 15!(and the tickets were like $8-$9 USD!)

J-Dubya

Hawk said:
Sure! I bought the first Boston album when it was released. I loved it. I still think its the best Boston album. In the late 70s I was into Boston, Kansas ans Styx.

But Boston, yea great band. I don't like their later releases much though. Btw I am somewhat of a 70s hard-rock freak :) So you can trow more of those bands at me.

I still like the first 2 Boston releases. The production on the first Boston record still stands up pretty well by today's standards, considering that was what? 76 or 77? :Spin:

J-Dubya

Hawk said:

My favorite of those 3 was and still is Kansas. Their albums from "Kansas" to "Point Of Know Return" are fantastic. I got to know them in 1977.

Ditto.... I think we have had this conversation before. I like a good deal of the 70's hard rock bands myself. I also dig on the later Beatles.... not the bubble-gum pop stuff mind you, but the later "experimental" stuff.

Bryant

J-Dubya 777 said:
I still like the first 2 Boston releases. The production on the first Boston record still stands up pretty well by today's standards, considering that was what? 76 or 77? :Spin:

J-Dubya

It was released in 1976. Indeed incredible when you think about it. :)

Bryant said:
Ditto.... I think we have had this conversation before. I like a good deal of the 70's hard rock bands myself. I also dig on the later Beatles.... not the bubble-gum pop stuff mind you, but the later "experimental" stuff.

Bryant

Yep, the later Beatles are ok in my book as well. In fact one of the first albums I bought was "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

Here are some of the albums I got in 1976:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Kansas - Leftoverture
Max Webster - Max Webster
Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound Of The Bell
Rainbow - Rising
Rush - 2112
Scorpions - Virgin Killer
Yesterday & Today - Yesterday & Today

Hawk said:
Here are some of the albums I got in 1976:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Kansas - Leftoverture
Max Webster - Max Webster
Pavlov's Dog - At The Sound Of The Bell
Rainbow - Rising
Rush - 2112
Scorpions - Virgin Killer
Yesterday & Today - Yesterday & Today

thanks for the reminder on Y & T been too too long since I've heard some!:headbang:

Since you guys mentioned it, this is probably the best place to ask...

Other than the live version of Riding The Storm Out that was on MTV way back when, the studio version - which kind of sounds like a live version - was pretty much the only version I had ever heard. Until I heard it on an upstate NY classic rock station a couple years ago... But, this version did not sound like it was Kevin Cronin on vocals, and it was also a studio version. Does anyone know where this is from? Did they have another singer at some point that I was unaware of? I've heard it again since, but been unable to find any info...

J-Dubya 777 said:
First REAL rock concert - AC/DC Highway to Hell Tour in 1979, with The Pat Travers Band opening..... It was at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, I was like 15!(and the tickets were like $8-$9 USD!)

J-Dubya

Wow man!! I somehow looked over your message. AC/DC with Bon Scott!! I would have killed to see that. Must have been great! I remember that AC/DC played in Amsterdam around that time with Judas Priest as support act.

I could not go. But from what I heard it was great!!

kittybeast said:
thanks for the reminder on Y & T been too too long since I've heard some!:headbang:

You're welcome. You know the first Yesterday & Today album. Its great!!

"25 hours, 25 hours a day!!"

YES!!!! The First Yesterday & Today album kills!! As does the rest of the Y&T stuff. I always thought they were a highly underrated band.

Platinum Maze said:
Until I heard it on an upstate NY classic rock station a couple years ago... But, this version did not sound like it was Kevin Cronin on vocals, and it was also a studio version. Does anyone know where this is from? Did they have another singer at some point that I was unaware of? I've heard it again since, but been unable to find any info...

It was probably just the studio verison with Cronin. The live version of that tune most often gets played on radio. Cronin wasn't an original member of the band, as I recall, but since he joined, I think he's always been in.

Gary Richrath (guitar) has left, with some acrimony and drama, but I think Cronin is still a key member.