Hardline - Danger Zone

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
The new Hardline is basically a Johnny Gioeli solo record in all but name. The band was of course a bit of a melodic rock supergroup in the past with Neal Schon and others but Johnny has soldiered on on his own pretty much with this new effort with of course pro help from the Frontiers melodic rock squad. Anyway Johnny really outdid himself this time. The album is an amazing slice of killer AOR with massive hooks and as usual amazing vocals from Johnny. The guy is really something else when it comes to melodic rock powerhouse vocals. Along with HEAT and Sunstorm, Hardline make up 3 of the best AOR records I've heard this year. I am not quite sure if I like HEAT or Hardline more as of yet cause both are delicious slices of AOR ear candy. I'd probably give it to HEAT by a whisker but I'd be splitting hairs really. Check opener Fever Dreams. A wonderful melodic rock song that should be a huge hit if there was any justice in the musical world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lionville is puss rock to the extreme, but I did dig it. Hardline, I liked the first one, the second was just not very good, but the third one had some great moments. My only issue with Hardline is that Johnny is still stuck on the 80s formula of slow rockers mixed in with the AOR gems. But it's the uptempo AOR tunes that really make an album and the newer bands in that genre populate the album with 70-80% uptempo songs, along with a sweet ballad or two. WHen they want to change up tempos, they'll throw in calypso or something, or start the song off slow and then surprise you with a rip-roaring chorus. Those slow rockers where the song just plods along are better left in the 80s.

I'm sure there are fans of that style, but back in the 80s, the typical hair metal or AOR album only had only about 5-6 tracks that I liked, often because the bands would include a few slow rockers or the obligatory blues-based tune. I'm just not a fan of stuff like "Unskinny Bop", "Way Cool Junior", or "Cherry Pie". Well, maybe Cherry Pie is cool.:)

Maybe it's because most AOR comes out of Europe these days that they've mostly abandoned that style.

This is a for sure purchase on my end!! Given my penchant for AOR, I'm stoked to hear anything Johnny puts out.

Justin -I agree on the Lionville. Its so damn wimpy, and this coming from a guy who enjoyed the new Fergie Frederikson. LOL.

Not to hijack the thread, but have you heard the new H.E.A.T. disc?? So damn good.......

Drew ~

I honestly think Gioeli is an AMAZING singer who is unrivaled in tonal depth in this genre, listening to the opening intro vocals of this new song Fever Dreams and its incredible how good his voice still sounds! Double Eclipse is without a doubt one of the best melodic hard rock AOR records I ever heard, almost impossible to touch the songwriting and dynamic energy that lineup hard but this new one just from this song sounds REALLY killer! I'm digging the singing bigtime, huge voice and so much feeling!

I got an advance of the album and i want to like it, but i just can't get into it. He sounds amazing, but the songs are just so paint by numbers it's hard to get into it. for me, the last album was top notch. again, JG sounds incredible but when i got to the song that sounds too much like Yngwie's "Heaven Tonight" i just kind of let it all go. I am hoping it grows on me but after two spins i don't have much hope. I did get advances of Jorn and Circus Maximus so i am hoping they do better.

This is a for sure purchase on my end!! Given my penchant for AOR, I'm stoked to hear anything Johnny puts out.

Justin -I agree on the Lionville. Its so damn wimpy, and this coming from a guy who enjoyed the new Fergie Frederikson. LOL.

Not to hijack the thread, but have you heard the new H.E.A.T. disc?? So damn good.......

Drew ~

See i thought the new HEAT was nowhere near as catchy as the first two albums. They kind of phoned this new one in. again, IMO, but i guess i am getting picky in my old age. the last HEAT record was a top record for me. couldn't stop listening to it the month i bought it. not so with the new one.

Now that i am watching the video, isn't the guitarist and keyboardist for EDEN'S CURSE? i don't know people's names anymore. hahaah.

Yes they are. However your comments about this album and HEAT, I couldn't disagree with more if I tried. Both albums are amazing with chock full of magical tunes. The HEAT album is close to being their best. Freedom Rock was great and I like Kenny's voice more than Erik's but they made a truly magnificent record with Address The Nation.

Yes they are. However your comments about this album and HEAT, I couldn't disagree with more if I tried. Both albums are amazing with chock full of magical tunes. The HEAT album is close to being their best. Freedom Rock was great and I like Kenny's voice more than Erik's but they made a truly magnificent record with Address The Nation.

and disagree we shall. :) just listened to the Jorn record out walking and it too is boring as hell. hahaha. my tastes are just changing drastically i think. i used to crave new albums by bands, but i just don't really find them that intriguing anymore especially when just a re-hashing.

Exceptions to that rule happen like the new Anathema and Paradise Lost albums are kicking my ass. Melodic rock wise it's just the new Work Of Art album and parts of the new Sunstorm and House Of Lords.

Also, I am pretty sure Yngwie and JLT have a pretty good case for "What I'd Like"'s hook being their chorus from "Heaven Tonight." the song even starts with a solo vocal too. hahaha.