Hats off to Ripper Owens...

Keep in mind... I'm a complete Barlow fan boy and he is my favorite singer of all time (not including Tate :loco:).

When it was announced that Tim Owens would replace Matt Barlow in Iced Earth, I was extremely upset. Having never heard Ripper, all I knew of him was that he was a Halford clone, and that he wasn't Matt. I assumed Iced Earth was done, as Barlow was irreplaceable. However, after a few spins of The Glorious Burden, it was clear that Tim is just as talented as Matt. They are two very different singers, whose strengths simply lie in different areas.

I can't say I was upset... for one, a band changing members is hardly something that would cause me to be upset. :) Still, I was already familiar with Owens from his work with Judas Priest, and knew he was a good vocalist. I wouldn't classify him as a Halford clone either... while he can do a great job replicating Halford when singing older Judas Priest songs, he didn't sound particularly Halford-like on the studio albums he did with Judas Priest or Iced Earth.

But like you, I also was not particularly pleased when I heard that Barlow was leaving Iced Earth, as I had been an Iced Earth fan for years, and Barlow was probably one of my favorite metal vocalists. But hey, the guy wanted to do something else with his life, and I could respect that. Given that he was indeed leaving, then, I felt getting Owens was a great move on Schaffer's part. His vocal style was certainly different than Barlow's, but he's a great singer, and I didn't think trying to find a Barlow clone would have been the right move anyway.

I had a chance to catch Tim with Iced Earth on three occasions. On each occasion, I was blown away. There's not another singer I've ever heard whose live performances are so completely faithful to their studio performance. Tim is an absolute machine.

So why the sudden post praising Ripper? I caught Iced Earth (again) last night in NYC. I've twice now had a chance to hear Barlow take a swing at "Declaration Day", "Ten Thousand Strong" and "High Water Mark". To say he's not even close, would be more than understatement. In fact, he's so far off, I'd prefer to see these songs pulled from the set list.

As I said, I consider myself a complete Barlow fan boy. This post is not at all intended to be a criticism of Barlow. Rather, it is in complete praise of Owens. Truth be told, I don't believe there's another singer on the planet that could perform the Gettysburg Trilogy and do it justice.

:worship::kickass::headbang:Ripper:headbang::kickass::worship:

Zod

I agree with the general idea of what you're saying, but maybe not with all the specific songs. I thought "Declaration Day" worked fairly well with Barlow... the only sketchy vocal part was the last 2 verses ("With virtue as our beacon", etc), which are performed in a higher key. The first 4 verses, and the choruses sounded great, IMO. With "Ten Thousand Strong", I didn't have any problem at all. On "High Water Mark", I thought the song was as powerful as ever, the only awkward moment being the high-pitched "It's all my fault" bit at the end, which frankly, sounds a bit awkward even with Owens.

I think there are a couple songs that would probably not have worked well, and they were perhaps wise to avoid... like, say, "The Reckoning" or "Red Baron / Blue Max". I would have liked to hear "Waterloo" though, especially considering that Barlow wrote the lyrics and vocal melody. Though I suppose the likelihood of them ever performing that song in North America is slim.

Zod, what I find amusing is that people will say that Tim sounded poor on his first album because the writing was for Matt, but now that Matt sings it, that Tim sounds better on it.

Zod, what I find amusing is that people will say that Tim sounded poor on his first album because the writing was for Matt, but now that Matt sings it, that Tim sounds better on it.
Exactly. I've posted it time and time again, but people seem to want to refuse to believe it. In an interview with Jon, he said, he doesn't write for the singer. And as you said, the fact that Tim sounds better on that material, underscores that point.

Zod

How well has "The Crucible of Man” sold in comparison to the last two Iced Earth releases?

How well has "The Crucible of Man” sold in comparison to the last two Iced Earth releases?

Well it peaked the same on US charts as Framing Armageddon, one year later (so I'm assuming it sold slightly less). Both of these have seemingly been their best selling albums. Glorious Burden might be their third best selling album.

"ICED EARTH's new full-length studio album, "The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Part II)", has sold 6,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 79 on The Billboard 200 chart."

We had the pleasure of playing some shows with Tim a few years back and was
just amazed at his precision and consistency every night. It was great to watch!

And seeing him with YM in St Pete recently was just more proof that when he is
singing his kind of music, he is simply awesome...and one of the nicest people in or
out of the business you will ever meet!

"The Glorious Burden" sold over 70,000 copies in the US as of Sept '07. I believe it's their biggest seller to date. "Framing Armaggedon" peaked at #78 selling 7,800 copies in it's first week. I'd be interested to know the total sold to date on both.
"Curcible" inital numbers are 15% lower than FA's. I suspect Ripper's departure lost the band some fans.

"The Glorious Burden" sold over 70,000 copies in the US as of Sept '07. I believe it's their biggest seller to date. "Framing Armaggedon" peaked at #78 selling 7,800 copies in it's first week. I'd be interested to know the total sold to date on both.
"Curcible" inital numbers are 15% lower than FA's. I suspect Ripper's departure lost the band some fans.

That sounds unlikely to me. With Iced Earth, Schaffer has always been the main driver behind the band. Even if some people didn't get the latest discs because of Owens' departure, there were others who would have returned to the band because of Barlow's return. I doubt the vocalist changes had much to do with it either way. If there has been a decline in sales numbers, I suspect it has a lot more to do with album sales declining in general over the last few years. There are certainly people who always want a physical copy of an album, and some who will only get an authorized, paid download, and others who download for free who can't be counted as a lost sale because they never would have paid for it anyway. But considering how incredibly easy it is to download these days, there are at least some percentage of people who don't purchase because they can get it for free. However, my perception is that the percentage of metal fans who are die-hard "I need to own a physical copy" types is greater than in the general pop music world, so metal sales have not suffered as much as some genres have.

I had an opportunity to produce a BEYOND FEAR tour stop in 2005 when they did a quick US tour. To say that the show was amazing would be a gross understatement. I still think that their first album is highly under-rated and was one of the best power metal albums to come out that year.

Ripper is a true gentleman, both on and off the stage. He was easy to work with and treated the fans very well - meeting them and hanging out with them after the show.

I hope I will be able to work with this fine musician again very soon. I definitely join in taking off my hat to Ripper Owens for his amazing contribution to true metal!

Nathan "The SwordLord" Block
SwordLord Productions, Inc.
Proudly serving the Minnesota metal community since 2002!

I had an opportunity to produce a BEYOND FEAR tour stop in 2005 when they did a quick US tour. To say that the show was amazing would be a gross understatement. I still think that their first album is highly under-rated and was one of the best power metal albums to come out that year.

Ripper is a true gentleman, both on and off the stage. He was easy to work with and treated the fans very well - meeting them and hanging out with them after the show.

I hope I will be able to work with this fine musician again very soon. I definitely join in taking off my hat to Ripper Owens for his amazing contribution to true metal!

Nathan "The SwordLord" Block
SwordLord Productions, Inc.
Proudly serving the Minnesota metal community since 2002!

I agree entirely -- Barlow's material rocks. Owens' material rocks. Owens can pull off Barlow songs. Barlow cannot pull off Owens' songs.

(in my opinion)

I agree entirely -- Barlow's material rocks. Owens' material rocks. Owens can pull off Barlow songs. Barlow cannot pull off Owens' songs.

(in my opinion)

If Jon had gotten a clone of Barlow(although that would probably be rare IMO),would everyone be happy or mad about it?
I love that he went in another direction and chose Ripper.I'm a huge fan of both singers.I'm not sure how I would have felt if he would have tried to replace Barlow with a similar singer...

If Jon had gotten a clone of Barlow(although that would probably be rare IMO),would everyone be happy or mad about it?
I love that he went in another direction and chose Ripper.I'm a huge fan of both singers.I'm not sure how I would have felt if he would have tried to replace Barlow with a similar singer...
I think Jon made the right decision, by snapping up Ripper when Matt didn't want to do it any longer.

Zod

The call to go with Ripper was a good one (in my opinion).

I am one of the Glorious Burden supporters -- I think it rocks. :)

I think that Ripper has finally found his true calling in Yngwie Malmsteen! He sounds like he was born to sing the songs on PERPETUAL FLAME! 11/10
RED DEVIL :worship: