Helloween US/Canada tour fall 2013

@Milton - yep. Happens for fests a lot as well.
I know you have produced packages but even as a fan you know that not every band in the package is desired by most and some promOters will only have interest in the headliner, or maybe can only afford just the headliner.

Yeah, but that's honestly a bullshit excuse you're giving them. If you're buying a package, you're buying the *entire* package as it's sold. You don't get to try to customize it here and there to suit your own needs. A tour package isn't fucking Burger King - can't have it your own way.

I know some local bands who actually like this scenario and agree with these practices, because let's face it... it benefits them (since they put "oh so much hard fucking work selling the tickets." Well guess what... That exact mentality will contribute to a local being a local forever.

I am not taking any side in this scenario.
Just stating that in some situations (ESP a fest) where a package tour takes part, not all bands in the package are going to get their same slot as they would on a tour date.

I agree it really blows though for a regular show though I guess even though the promoter is buying the "package" he or she is puttIng on the productiOn so unless the cOntract explicitly states the running order (ie Any local support plays FIRST) then anything can be fair game.

Just stating that in some situations (ESP a fest) where a package tour takes part, not all bands in the package are going to get their same slot as they would on a tour date.

Of course. But if you're going to take one tour package, mix it with 10 locals and call it a festival, it's a joke. You're basically booking the tour with 10 local bands. So yeah, absolutely it happens a lot. I'll understand the change in the order if you're combining two or more tour packages together, though. That actually makes sense.

Jasonic said:
I guess even though the promoter is buying the "package" he or she is puttIng on the productiOn so unless the cOntract explicitly states the running order (ie Any local support plays FIRST) then anything can be fair game.

I still don't fully agree with you.

Jasonic said:
I am not taking any side in this scenario.

Well, you're clearly not taking the "tour package/booking agent" side, otherwise you wouldn't agree that it's "fair game."

Well, you're clearly not taking the "tour package/booking agent" side, otherwise you wouldn't agree that it's "fair game."

No, I was very clear in how I have seen this work, both as a band member and former concert promoter in my college years....

If you want a venue to have your bands play in a specific order then your contract should explicitly state this. Furthermore, your contract can also state how many locals are permitted to play the show to avoid them slamming on 10 locals.

Now, as an agent, you may never truly know until after the show if the venue honored your request,and to be quite frank, after the fact what can you really do other than avoid working with them in the future. Depending on the specific market though, you may not have a choice.

Sorry - I am not taking sides. Like I say to anyone who asks my opinions on booking tours, fests, or gigs, if you aren't sure or have a specific demand, get it in writing! Chances are the venue doing your show honestly could not give one rat's ass about any band playing any given night at their venue. Most local promoters aren't even fans of 75% of what they book.

Had a bad feeling it was going to be Mojoes. Probably will still go though.

MoJoes (Size wise) is clearly the best venue for this.
Too big for Reggies. Too small for House of Blues.
Maybe Bottom Lounge I suppose.

I had no doubt it was going to be there.

No idea how you could even second guess seeing Helloween, esp how few dates are in this tour. Probably wont be a good 3 years at least until they might return. Furthermore, their past three albums have been absolutely killer!! Well, my opinion at least.

MoJoes (Size wise) is clearly the best venue for this.
Too big for Reggies. Too small for House of Blues.
Maybe Bottom Lounge I suppose.

I had no doubt it was going to be there.

No idea how you could even second guess seeing Helloween, esp how few dates are in this tour. Probably wont be a good 3 years at least until they might return. Furthermore, their past three albums have been absolutely killer!! Well, my opinion at least.

the last one was far from killer.

Bottom Lounge would be perfect. Seems though all the power metal shows have been getting taken by Mojoes unfortunatly.

the last one was far from killer.

Bottom Lounge would be perfect. Seems though all the power metal shows have been getting taken by Mojoes unfortunatly.

LOL. You crack me up with this.
You always say everyone SHOULD come to the city for shows, and not be lazy about it, yet you complain if you have to drive to the burbs for one.

I dont see what's so bad about MoJoes, other than no booze on the floor.
Easy and free parking, big room with nice balcony, ins and outs, etc.

Furthermore, their past three albums have been absolutely killer!! Well, my opinion at least.

I'll most likely pass on that tour because my opinion of their recent outputs is more or less the opposite of yours, save for a few songs...The last 2 have been the best ones since a while but maybe I'm no more in a good Helloween mood...The too often speedy double-bass probably bugs me quite a bit...
My fave Helloween discs remain Master Of The Rings, The Dark Ride, Better Than Raw and Time Of The Oath. And they don't play lots from these live anymore I guess.

maybe the various issues with TERRIBLE sound.

Well, you were there on two unique occasions.
They didnt give to rat's asses about Ragnarokkr since it wasnt their production. An outside sound engineer should have been hired.

NExt was Rhapsody. Unfortunately the sound guys there had NO idea how to mix a band like that with so much piped in.

Sound there for other shows was just fine.

According to the banner on Ticketmaster, this is the "Hellish Rock 2013" tour, featuring Gamma Ray and Manticora!

If true, this will be killer!

***EDIT*** Just saw a note on Gamma Ray's site saying the US dates are HELLOWEEN ONLY.

Bummer.

Manticora? I'd make an extra effort to attend this if they're on. I thought they were excellent, beyond expectation, last time.

After reading the note about Gamma Ray, I'm not holding my breath, but who knows? Just excited to see Helloween, and not have to drive six hours to do it!

Bumping this because I plan on seeing Helloween for the first time at Mojoes at the end of the month. About fucking time. Never thought I'd see most of the bands I've seen before Helloween, sheesh.