Hit Parader's Top 100 vocalist

Who can even remotely take this list serious when a magazine lists Mick Jagger (among shitloads of others) a METAL singer.

Its pure commercialized garbage. Nuff said.

You nailed it, but sometimes you just got to go in-depth about your annoyance at this crap. The magazine claims to cover metal and this is the best they can do.

But what do you expect from a magazine* that once reviewed a Rush album by saying "Rush never had the greatest lyrics, but they rocked so hard that no one cared"? Even the biggest Rush critics have to admit that Rush actually attempted to write meaningful songs. And most Rush fans I know actually like their lyrics, not because they "rock out." Har har har.

* I'm reasonably certain it was Hit Parader

Nirvana also got radio overkill, so actually people WERE forced to listen to it (although they could just change the station and maybe listen to some Pearl Jam :puke: ). It was the start of the "we have no talent" movement that is still around on radio today.

I can see both sides of the anti-Cobain sentiment. My personal dislike of the band is based solely on the overkill, and the "guilt by association" inauguration of grunge as a commercial form of music. The way the media outlets played that junk and their wretched mainstream offspring...criminy I hate that stuff. '90's "alternative" didn't just ruin metal, it also ruined alternative rock. It was the start of that whole "mine my crappy childhood for song material" trend that makes me want to start kicking people.

Objectively, I have no problems with Nirvana's music. Cobain could write catchy songs, and he also had irony in his lyrics which the people who followed in his wake didn't have the brainpower to grasp. But the overkill, plus the way it ushered in that whole era of crap...blargh.

But if anyone wants to know what really killed metal, it was...hair bands. I grew up in the 1980's, and it was not a golden era for mainstream recognition of metal. Sure, compared to now, more quality bands got exposure then, but for every Dio we got served five or more Warrant clones. I remember when I turned on the radio or MTV, I didn't hear Iron Maiden - more often than not, I would hear "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" or some other crapfest. Unfortunately, the mainstream connected that whole hair band scene with metal, and when people got burned out on the hair, it dragged metal down with it. People got tired of the hair bands because there were so many of them and they sucked bad. I like some hair metal anthems, but the third-hand Poison clones were so phony and their albums were so slick that they sounded plastic. I'd get tired of hearing a band like Warrant have songs about using women left and right, and then have another song on the same album about being mad because "his girl" was out cheatin'. And then the hair bands quit trying to be fun and tried to get serious by badly aping blues rock. That was the last straw for a lot of people. I was smart enough to know that those bands weren't "real metal," and around 2001 I hoped that "real metal" was going to finally get recognition. Boy was I wrong.

Nirvana was at the right place at the right time to offer something different to people tired of the hair bands. That's their real crime.

But I still never want to hear their music ever again.

Couldn't agree more with the "hair band" overkill as well. Good post!
I REALLY miss the concert tours of the 80's, there just wasn't enough money, or time to see EVERYTHING, you had to be selective (at least I did...) Now, we wait 2, sometimes 3 years for our favorite bands to roll through town, if they tour the states at all. That was one of the things that hooked me on Prog Power early on, then it became as much about seeing my long distance friends just as much as the music........

J-Dubya

Funny how when most respond about Sammy Hagar- it's mostly related to Van Halen..... he did do a lot of other work with Montrose, his many solo albums and HSAS.

J-Dub.. to each his own man. But no more candy for you :heh:

At least most agree that :worship: Freddie Mercury

J-Dub.. to each his own man. But no more candy for you :heh:

At least most agree that :worship: Freddie Mercury

Awwwww c'mon! I didn't diss the Scorps, I LOVE the original Uli stuff and everything up until (and including) L@FS. I didn't say the newer stuff sucked, just that it doesn't interest me....

J-Dubya - Wants his candy! :cry:

:Smokedev:

Hit Parader jumped the shark so long ago it has lost all credibility. Sadly, KERRANG!, a mag I used to beg, borrow and steal to try to get it back in the day has gone the same way. Though, they did have a good interview with Tarja last year.

Peace,
Ray C.