How about...

powerlessking

King of Metal
Jan 6, 2006
Ft. Collins, CO
I know that most people have already voted for their favorite bands here, and some of them are even booked. But I was wondering if this year they could bring some extreme power metal acts, such as Dragonforce, Cellador, Wintersun, 3 Inches of Blood, stuff like that. I think it'd be cool to have more styles, rather than just traditional power/prog. What do you guys think?

I'm curious as to how you consider Dragonforce "extreme?" Is it the speed alone?

On a side note, I do want to point out last year's roster as I don't consider bands such as Orphaned Land, Therion, and Pink Cream 69 as traditional power/prog.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
I'm curious as to how you consider Dragonforce "extreme?" Is it the speed alone?

On a side note, I do want to point out last year's roster as I don't consider bands such as Orphaned Land, Therion, and Pink Cream 69 as traditional power/prog.

Glenn H.
C'mon, PC 69 is as traditional prog as it gets....

...ok, maybe extreme melodic hard rock.

Harvester said:

Glenn H.

Glenn, I think he was talking about bands who consider themselves "extreme power metal." Not extreme metal (i.e. death/black) per se.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Glenn, I think he was talking about bands who consider themselves "extreme power metal." Not extreme metal (i.e. death/black) per se.

He knew that - he was basically asking powerlessking what constitutes "extreme" power metal, particularly as it relates to Dragonforce. I'm curious myself as bands like Stratovarius, Edguy, Angra, etc. all use a great deal of speed in many of their songs and they have all been to Progpower on one or more occasions. What would make Dragonforce, Wintersun, etc. "extreme", but not those other bands?

The thing about the "extreme" tag, is exactly what about each band is considered extreme. Lotsa confusion with that.

Hell... some people I know considered good ol' Kill Em All to be pretty extreme.... then I show them something like Symphony X or Manticora and they shit themselves.

Dark One said:
He knew that - he was basically asking powerlessking what constitutes "extreme" power metal, particularly as it relates to Dragonforce. I'm curious myself as bands like Stratovarius, Edguy, Angra, etc. all use a great deal of speed in many of their songs and they have all been to Progpower on one or more occasions. What would make Dragonforce, Wintersun, etc. "extreme", but not those other bands?

Dragonforce proclaims themselves "extreme power metal," and dude, let's face it, they're 100x faster than any of the bands you just mentioned. I don't know Wintersun, but it's Jari from Ensiferum's new(er) band, so my guess is that it's not just straight-up boring power metal either.

What I mean by EXTREME is that those bands are very fast, with a lot of fast guitar work and they even use blast beats, which is usually present in extreme styles. THEY call themselves extreme power metal anyway.

Wintersun is awesome, but I would be extremely suprised to see them at progpower. For those who don't know, its basically viking/black metal (or whatever you call it), which implies harsh vocals. There have been bands with harsh vocals at progpower in the past, but most of those, if I am not mistaken can be considered prog. I would be happy to see Wintersun at progpower, I just don't think it will happen. They'd be more suited to playing with Moonsorrow and Thyrfing in that viking metal festival up in Minnesota.

The_Kinslayer said:
Wintersun is awesome, but I would be extremely suprised to see them at progpower. For those who don't know, its basically viking/black metal (or whatever you call it), which implies harsh vocals. There have been bands with harsh vocals at progpower in the past, but most of those, if I am not mistaken can be considered prog. I would be happy to see Wintersun at progpower, I just don't think it will happen. They'd be more suited to playing with Moonsorrow and Thyrfing in that viking metal festival up in Minnesota.

From what I understand, Wintersun is basically like Ensiferum, i.e. folk/viking-inspired power metal w/ death/black vocals. Sounds about right based on your description.

Dark One said:
Sounds worth checking out - thanks.

Jason, you didn't know about this? The guitarist/singer from Ensiferum decided to leave after "Iron" so he could form Wintersun. I just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet, but I would've thought you already knew all about them.

Megawozniak said:
oooh, I'd love to see Wintersun live. I got a thought in my head yesterday which I'm sure nobody else would be too excited over - if Glenn got a Conception reunion, what about Lost Horizon?

Didn't Glenn say no reunions this year?:confused:

Psychotic Waltz - Bleeding:worship:

Dark One said:

Good question. :tickled:

We played Dragonforce on WREKage last night by request, and shortly thereafter someone called the station wanting to know "who else sounded like Dragonforce?"
It was a hard question to answer for the reasons already cited: what caught this listener's ear about them? Double-bass blastbeats and VERY fast guitar, I surmised, and there aren't too many bands in the genre who are as fast on guitar. There are a lot of bands who are close, and not knowing how experienced the listener was with power- or prog, I tossed out a few possibilities for both genres.

I thought it was interesting that we got such an immediate response from playing them...and it's not like it's the first time we've played 'em, either. We get requests for Dragonforce pretty often. :headbang:
Maybe significantly, the Dragonforce request we got on Friday was from a member of an extreme (not power or prog) metal band. :Smokedev: