I think that I am reaching an age...

Pelata

FINAL SIGN
Mar 6, 2006
North Carolina
www.facebook.com
...where I don't care about new bands. Of the 71 artists listed under "Heavy Metal" on my iPod, only 3 were established post-2000 (Redemption, The Codex & Widlestarr)...4 if you count Heaven And Hell...every other artist on this list put out their first album before Y2K...

I have newer albums by these older artists (new Ratt, Scorpions, Pretty Maids, Megadeth, Nevermore, etc)...but I can count on one hand how many bands are on this list that were formed before 10 years ago...

I just don't care...

I hear new stuff that I think is good or whatever, but I have no (or very little) desire to purchase them...but I'll run out and get the 30th Anniversary of British Steel...haha!

I feel the same way. I barely even listen to any metal releases from the 90s it seems and fewer from this past decade.
Justin suggested I pick up a Alchemist CD a couple of weekends ago, I finally listened to it. Man Fear Factory worked for me 18 years ago don't need another band that sounds like them. Yet I'll buy up any half ass Judas Priest wannabes from the 80s, go figure.
I don't care much for bands from the past 20 years or the stuff 70s and 80s bands have done in the past 20 years. When I found Evergrey it gave me the same feeling as when I found Queensryche on 'Operation' but it only lasted for a moment then I was burned out. 'Operation Mindcrime' hangs on my wall, but Evergrey never will. Things are just not the same in older age.

As of around 2008, I am no longer actively seeking new bands to listen to. I never think "I like [band], who else sounds like this?" anymore. I am still open to bands I discover by accident, which is often enough that my appetite for new music is satisfied this way. Like the above posters, I still get new releases from bands I've liked for a while, but I don't go looking for brand new stuff on purpose.

Isn't it weird that most "new" bands that we find that we like contain members of some other bands that we like, while other new bands with new faces just don't cut it? The best bands that I've found in the past few years are bands like CircleIICircle, JOP, Subsignal etc...all offshoots of other popular bands. There are very few new bands that strike me as being good.

Things are just not the same in older age.

Which helps explain why most established bands around longer than 4 CDs really never seem to regain the magic they had when they were young, hungry, and felt the whole world was against them. Some bands manage to retain the quality of their songwriting/musicianship (like Vanden Plas) over the years, but the sound is no longer fresh -- good, but really just more of the same style/formula/brand.

IMO, the best music is fueled by pure emotion felt during the songwriting process. Emotions and life circumstances change with time. People generally become more conservative with older age. While a songwriter may try to recall emotions and circumstances long-gone in attempt to rekindle the flames, a smoldering campfire just cant compare to an out-of-control bonfire. When a band has 4-5 members all getting older and experiencing the above, the opportunity for something fresh is near impossible.

As of around 2008, I am no longer actively seeking new bands to listen to. I never think "I like [band], who else sounds like this?" anymore. I am still open to bands I discover by accident, which is often enough that my appetite for new music is satisfied this way. Like the above posters, I still get new releases from bands I've liked for a while, but I don't go looking for brand new stuff on purpose.

+1.

The band that has dominated my playlists over the last two years has been Iron Maiden - the stuff I grew up with in the 80s (along with some of Bruce's solo stuff).

I usually just wait for Glenn to post his annual year-end Top 20 list to discover any new releases/bands I've been unaware of. Mob Rules (Radical Peace) was the big winner for me from his 2009 list. Claus (Intromental) has also been good in providing lists of old classics which I may have missed (e.g. Vauxdvihl's, "To Dimension Logic"). I buy more long-forgotten, out-of-print stuff from the late 80s/early 90s than I do anything new. It's still exciting to find those hidden gems that I somehow missed back in the, "early glory days" of prog/power metal.

Just jammed along to Iron Maiden "Killers" & "Number of The Beast" this morning for the 1st time in probly 5 years!

Interesting thread. It seems I find myself with a view opposite that of most of the previous posters. I find I'm much more interested in post-2000 music, than that which was recorded prior. In addition, I have very little interest in current releases by bands established prior to 1990. I have almost zero interest in the bands of my youth, who have managed to hang on. To build upon what The Fiddler said, music is fueled by intensity. You're average 40 year old lacks the required intensity to create a brand of music as aggressive as Metal, and is most often just going through the motions. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. It seems those who have never escaped the "underground" have a much greater chance of maintaining the requisite aggression. However, with bands like Ratt, Crue, Priest, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Queensryche, Whitesnake, etc., it sounds more like they're covering themselves than creating anything new, when they release new material. And as for their classic material; it's fun to spin up now and then, but I don't want to listen to it day in and day out. Just my $0.02.

IMO, the best music is fueled by pure emotion felt during the songwriting process. .

We're going to talk songwriters? Generally this is not in heavy metal. Granted there are some but most metal is basically the same stuff over and over again. How many different ways can one rock you, rock me, get rocked, and tell me how metal they are? Um, wonder what the emotion was behind writing such a grand opus.
And if the song is not about rock or metal up an ass then you have dragons, spooky stuff, of course let's not forget the night. Just does not strike me as very deep. But it is fun, I have plenty of it.
Am I going a completely different direction here?

Interesting thread. It seems I find myself with a view opposite that of most of the previous posters. I find I'm much more interested in post-2000 music, than that which was recorded prior. In addition, I have very little interest in current releases by bands established prior to 1990. I have almost zero interest in the bands of my youth, who have managed to hang on. To build upon what The Fiddler said, music is fueled by intensity. You're average 40 year old lacks the required intensity to create a brand of music as aggressive as Metal, and is most often just going through the motions. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. It seems those who have never escaped the "underground" have a much greater chance of maintaining the requisite aggression. However, with bands like Ratt, Crue, Priest, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Queensryche, Whitesnake, etc., it sounds more like they're covering themselves than creating anything new, when they release new material. And as for their classic material; it's fun to spin up now and then, but I don't want to listen to it day in and day out. Just my $0.02.

I agree with Greg 150% on this, especially with new bands like Myrath, Seventh Wonder, Pathsoray, SUE, Mindflow, Circus Maximus coming along.

Can't say I feel the same. I am always on the prowl for new Hard Rock, and Melodic Metal bands. Some are shit, some mediocre, and some that just flat out kick ass.

I'm also with Zod, John and the Metal Madman. I'd much rather go after new and fresher bands (which don't necessarily need to be doing something completely new), than to keep revisiting older stuff. Not to mention that the newer bands material they're putting out is sometimes way stronger than the material (new, and sometimes even old) released by some of the "old dogs".

I could give examples exclusively based on my personal opinion, but I am afraid I'll end up offending a few around here.

You're average 40 year old lacks the required intensity to create a brand of music as aggressive as Metal, and is most often just going through the motions. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

This I disagree with (and I realize we are both just stating opinion). I don't think for one second that people over 40 can't create/play Metal (speaking as a nearly-40-year-old musician). I think part of this blame (if you want to call it that) falls on the listener who, after a few albums by the same bands, fails to be as impressed as they were when they (the fan AND the band) were younger.

However, with bands like Ratt, Crue, Priest, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Queensryche, Whitesnake, etc., it sounds more like they're covering themselves than creating anything new, when they release new material.

This falls into catch-22 territory. When established bands DO try to do something new, many of the established fans hate it...yet when they continue to put out material in the style for which they are known (or return to it) then they're "covering themselves". Personally, I'd rather hear Priest and Ratt sound like Priest and Ratt. I don't want to hear Ratt try to sound like Papa Roach just because it's new & different for them.

And as for their classic material; it's fun to spin up now and then, but I don't want to listen to it day in and day out. Just my $0.02.

Completely understandable.

It's not that I don't try to find new bands to listen to,it's just that after I listen to 10 or 20 that I don't like just to finally like number 21 it makes me frustrated and I just put the old stuff back in for a week or two or three....

This

(borrowing a line from Zod himself)

I feel the same way. I barely even listen to any metal releases from the 90s it seems and fewer from this past decade.
Justin suggested I pick up a Alchemist CD a couple of weekends ago, I finally listened to it. Man Fear Factory worked for me 18 years ago don't need another band that sounds like them. Yet I'll buy up any half ass Judas Priest wannabes from the 80s, go figure.
I don't care much for bands from the past 20 years or the stuff 70s and 80s bands have done in the past 20 years. When I found Evergrey it gave me the same feeling as when I found Queensryche on 'Operation' but it only lasted for a moment then I was burned out. 'Operation Mindcrime' hangs on my wall, but Evergrey never will. Things are just not the same in older age.

That's because you became a grumpy old man before you were 25.

I probably listen to more old stuff than new, but I still actively seek new bands. I just want something that rocks; I don't necessarily care which decade it was released. I do however get a thrill whenever I run across some 80s metal or AOR band I've never heard of.

Just off the top of my head I can think of some really great bands that have come out in recent years. Voyager, Free Spirit, Leprous, Benedictum and the Poodles come to mind. There's also that band Seventh Calling...

Oh, and Alchemist was around before Fear Factory. They just didn't have RoadRunner's PR machine.

Seventh Calling is very good...

And the irony is not lost on me that I myself fall under the "new band" category in that I release new (or at least "newly written") music.

I also don't really care what decade something was released in...it's not like I'm trying to avoid the 2000's. I just noticed that there are no bands under 10 years old on my iPod and made an observation about myself. I hear stuff I like, as I said. I'll hear Bible Of The Devil or White Wizzard or something and think it's good/decent stuff...but it doesn't make me wanna run out and buy it.

Welcome to my world......I'm 39 and feel like an old fogey. I can count the "new" bands I like on one hand. LOL.......

I disgaree on this 10000%. In fact, I have found SOOOOOOOOOOO many new bands since I dove into power and prog metal since the spring of 2005.

In fact, I hardly ever listen to old stuff anymore (the exceptions are Rush and U2). I pretty much "divorced" older bands. Like other have said, new material by older bands from the 80s just doesn't cut it anymore. It sounds so old and rehashed. Doesn't even SOUND like the old bands.

For example, I've tried to keep up with new Def Leppard releases, but I really don't like anything past Hysteria, which came out in 1987 (OUCH - that's 23 stinkin' years ago!). I've tried with the "new" GNR, the new AC/DC, etc. Just don't like it at all.

I try to keep up with what's new in the power and prog genres because that's where all the good new music is at. I never liked the alt/modern rock scene at all. In fact, I despise about 99% of it. I was in what I call a "classic rock rut" for years, until my friend Steve (SkiBumMSP on this forum) turned me onto this stuff. It was a new world waiting to be found and explored. I never grow tired of this stuff!

Just this year alone there have been so many new releases by prog & power bands that I'm having a hard time keeping up. It's like Christmas almost every week. I've been buying CDs, downloading off of eMusic, etc. I already have a mental shopping list for when I get to PP USA!

So I'm about the exact opposite of those on here... bring on the new stuff! Bye bye old school stuff (for the most part). I still have the old vinyl, cassettes and CDs from yesteryear, but I no longer buy new stuff from those older bands.

BTW - if anyone's wondering - I'm 40 going on 41 shortly... (is that my IQ or my age :lol: )

This I disagree with (and I realize we are both just stating opinion).
Always.

I don't think for one second that people over 40 can't create/play Metal (speaking as a nearly-40-year-old musician). I think part of this blame (if you want to call it that) falls on the listener who, after a few albums by the same bands, fails to be as impressed as they were when they (the fan AND the band) were younger.
As you said earlier, we're all just throwing our opinions out here. However, when a band like Ratt comes back, they're simply not in the same head space they were when they were all 23. To try and recreate that sound, is almost like any other four or five musicians trying to recreate that music. To my ear, it just comes across as inferior replica.

This falls into catch-22 territory. When established bands DO try to do something new, many of the established fans hate it...yet when they continue to put out material in the style for which they are known (or return to it) then they're "covering themselves". Personally, I'd rather hear Priest and Ratt sound like Priest and Ratt. I don't want to hear Ratt try to sound like Papa Roach just because it's new & different for them.
Musicians should always write whatever they're inspired to write.

This

(borrowing a line from Zod himself)
:heh: